Chosing a travel partner

penguinscott

My cabin mate is my husband. We have been together for almost 28 years and were married on our 14th anniversary.

We met the day after Christmas 1984 in a bar. I moved in with him New Years Day 1985 - I'll help with the math that is 7 days later! Sometimes it just works!

We are now basically retired and live full time in our motor home - it is a little larger than a ship cabin but not a lot! We truly enjoy spending time with each other no matter what we are doing.

• 3 weeks later...
My cabin mate is my husband. We have been together for almost 28 years and were married on our 14th anniversary.

We met the day after Christmas 1984 in a bar. I moved in with him New Years Day 1985 - I'll help with the math that is 7 days later! Sometimes it just works!

We are now basically retired and live full time in our motor home - it is a little larger than a ship cabin but not a lot! We truly enjoy spending time with each other no matter what we are doing.

That is so romantic. I'm happy it worked out that well for you! Keep it up!

My point is, make sure you know who you are traveling with.

That means I would have to travel with my mom, who is my perfect travel partner. We both enjoy similar foods, music, excursions, amounts of relaxation... unfortunately, my mother gets seasick as soon as she just sees a ship. Plus, my DH would get furious if I told him I was going to cruise without him. He, however, is certainly not my perfect travel partner, no matter how much I love him.

I guess it's like finding a flatshare. There are many people I like a lot. However, neverever in my life would I want to share an apartment with them. I have colleagues I love, love, love to work with or friends I enjoy to go out with or meet for dinner - however, I wouldn't want to live with them nor would I want to travel with them.

Too bad you got stuck in a situation where you ended up traveling with someone you liked and it still didn't work out. I had a similar situation when I moved in with a friend (actually she moved in with me) when at university - that was one friend I had to take off the christmas present list (after I moved out of my own apartment as soon as I could).

Archived