TA vs self-booking

I've been on three cruises now, two paid for by me as an adult. The first I booked directly with Royal not knowing about OBC from TAs. I probably missed out on $100-$150 in OBC as it was after final payment. I just got back from the second cruise on my own on Allure. I booked through an online TA and originally received $275 OBC (roughly 11% of fare). When prices dropped about 2 months out, I called and upgraded to OV guarantee at no extra cost. Additionally, I received a price drop which I was surprised by as it was after final payment. I was told it was due to the fact that the TA had booked a group rate. So I received money back (my OBC was reduced by $100) but I ended up saving $300! Oh and when I called to upgrade, I was assisted by a different TA as the one I originally booked with wasn't in. After receiving my guaranteed cabin assignment, I called my TA and changed the cabin # to one within the category without a problem. Finally, I received an upgrade in the final week before sailing to an oceanview balcony (nothing to do with TA).

I also received the OBC as described once onboard. All in all I would definitely recommend using a TA if you get some sort of perk and the price otherwise is equal to or less than RCCL's price directly.

• 8 months later...

How does everyone choose a TA? Do you use the RCCL certified travel agents, a simple google search, or do you go into the actual brick and mortar agencies? How does one find the best for their needs?

I have used a local TA for years and will continue to use her. I was referred to her thru a friend. If you wish to use a TA I would recommend someone local, vs an online travel company or else book directly with the cruise lines. If a problem should occur, your better able to have it handled thru your local TA sometimes as they will have a little more pool to get the problem fixed. Not all TA's are terrible to work with, there are excellant ones out there. I am able to get ahold of mine during a weekend and she will reply back to me. if she is away, one of her associates will get back to me. She also calls the cruise lines to authorize them to charge to our CC and I have a statement within the week.

Archived