TA vs self-booking

So I've contacted a TA that's a RCCL "expert" per RCCL site, she's offering me same price, same deals as the WOW sale right now. No other perks. What's the benefit to using her than if I just booked it myself? I've sailed twice before and booked myself, never used TA. But thought I could give a try this time to see if there are any special perks. Should I just book on my own? Thanks!

No. Only time I will use a TA is if they save me at least 100-250 over cruiseline's best price or have wonderful perks. My reason is because I have had many problems with past reservations that could have been handled in an instant by calling the line directly, but instead have to wait for my agent, who may be off for the weekend, or for a day or two in the week to get back to me and have, on occasion, had a run-around.

The other reason is that the only times I have gotten upgrades comped is when I have booked directly. Those are just two reasons.

Now if I am saving major $$$ to go with a TA, I will book it.

Yea, I'm usually someone who books my own trips and such, I'd much rather be able to make changes, add excursions, or what not on my own than have to go through an agent every time. But I thought I could get some perks out of using a TA. Maybe I should look into several TAs before booking on my own.

First three cruises we did with TA, no perks or reduced prices but the one perceived benefit was that if there was a price drop TA would rebook for us at the lower price. However, on our third sailing we saw an aft JS open up for only ~$60 pp more for the week, and could not get ahold of the TA to change the reservation for us. He eventually did get it done, but we were peeved.

Now we book while on board to get OBC and have control of our own reservation. I keep tabs myself to see if there are any price drops.

Hi all, I've just joined to see what I've been missing my DS keeps telling me about the info on here.

So far for us, we seem to know more about the cruise lines and iteneraries than most of the TA's we've talked to about booking a cruise. Then when we mention we've cruised frequently and will get discounts they don't seem at all helpful.

I only use a TA when I get a decent amount of obc or perks. Otherwise, it's not worth it to me for $100 per cabin. I like to manage my own reservation and when I have to go through the TA it's annoying.

We've only cruised once but this is a very timely post. We are going to be sailing on the Allure next May and am contemplating doing my own bookings this time. I went to a 'cruise site' yesterday looking for some savings on the cruise but found the price to be exactly what it would be if I booked with RCI.

I went ahead and emailed 3 TA's to see if they had any perks to offer other than what the WOW sale had right now and haven't heard a peep back.

For those who have booked through RCI (apologize if I'm hijacking the thread, delete if needed) but do you use RCI to book your flights as well or do you handle that and hotel bookings (if necessary) on your own?

Don't understand why anyone would book w/a TA if you're not "getting" anything. I use a very popular online agency & always save $200-$300 and sometimes get additional perks like OBC or dinner for 2. Shop around!

First three cruises we did with TA, no perks or reduced prices but the one perceived benefit was that if there was a price drop TA would rebook for us at the lower price. However, on our third sailing we saw an aft JS open up for only ~$60 pp more for the week, and could not get ahold of the TA to change the reservation for us. He eventually did get it done, but we were peeved.

Now we book while on board to get OBC and have control of our own reservation. I keep tabs myself to see if there are any price drops.

If TA is unavailable, you can put a 24 hour hold online on the cabin you want, so you can lock in the price. Then have your TA do the change when he/she is available.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

We booked our Oasis cruise through our TA during the Wow sale last fall. Between the WOW sale and his offering we are starting our cruise with a total of $825 in OBC. Can't beat that....it's $625 more than we would have had booking throught RCCL directly. Same deal for our Freedom cruise last summer (though not quite as much as it was a less expensive cruise) and he also threw in a dinner for two at Portofinos.

All agents and agencies receive the same pricing from RCCL. and by rules they are not allowed to discount, however they can do value added things, but it comes directly out of their commission. Agencies do get different amount of commissions based on their # of sales. Many agencies will give OBC or wine or champagne out of their commissions.

The biggest fallacy of travelers is that the agents work for them, they do not, Agents work for and are paid by the Cruiselines, not by the traveler. However a good agent will provide value added services such as keeping track and checking on price reductions, and promos. The Cruiseline will not do this, but many of us do it ourselves.

A traveler can probably ride shotgun over the agent and agency much more than they can the cruiseline. And the Agency has far more clout with the cruiseline than any of us travelers. They have higher level contacts such as regional sales Managers and account managers who will assist them in breaking red tape.

Agencies can also book and reserve Group pricing on a certain number of sailings each month. Even if they have no group actually going. Then they can use the GAP points and TC credit, should they acquire one to provide the OBC.

If the cruiseline offers OBC directly, any agency can also offer it as it is a regular promotion. Cruiselines do offer agencies sales periodically that will allow them to accept lesser deposits or to pay OBC or other incentives such as specialty restaurants.

I belive a "good" agent is worthwhile and better than dealing with the cruiseline directly, however, not all agents are "good"

The first few trips/cruises we took, we were using an agent. But when we wanted to check on something or get something changed it became a hassle. It would take days to get a call back. The agency we were dealing with just got too busy. So, I book directly for several years now and when I want to know something or change something there is always someone on the other end of the phone and thanks to the advice here I know I can find the right person at the 1-800 #. In the end I just find it less stressful to do it myself and know that things are done on time. The one that put me over was when we paid the agent but she hadn't paid RCI by the due date.

So, if you get a good agent then it's probably worth something but otherwise I find it less stressful to book myself and know things are done.

I book it myself through the cruiseline if I need certain cabins.

Then switch it to the big online agency for the extra's alone.

Those people are much more knowledgable than than the yahoo's who answer the phones at RC.

Still trying to understand the "I need to be in control" of my reservation line.

You book a trip, what else to you have to do?

Your not trading stocks..

It also depends on how much you are paying for your cruise.

When I book a really good deal, I find that the TAs do not offer as much obc. So you can't really compare two people even on the same cruise. One may say he got $300 obc and the other only gets $100 obc because they paid different prices to begin with.

Still trying to understand the "I need to be in control" of my reservation line.

It's mainly about price drops. Both times I used a TA recently, there were price drops on the weekend and it was stressful waiting it out until Monday morning when they could resolve it. Each time the price drop was much better than the obc the TA gave me (and they did lower my obc, but it was still worth it).

I book all my trips myself EXCEPT for cruises. My travel agent is my insurance policy. If something goes wrong she takes care of it. The prices I get are always better than online. She always checks for price reductions and upgrades...we went from a balcony to the Royal suite for $700 several years ago on a 14 day cruise. I've had various problems over the last 12 years of cruising and she took care of everything. For example, our daughter became critically ill 3 days before a cruise we had booked. She took care of the cancellation and insurance forms for me. All I had to do was get signatures from the hospital staff etc. Last year we were on a Mexican Cruise on Holland America. I told her in an email the MDR was a zoo and we were going to try the specialty restaurants etc. A few hours later a staff member was knocking on our door wanting to know how they could fix things. How do you put a price on this? My travel agent has become a very good friend.

I book it myself through the cruiseline if I need certain cabins.

Then switch it to the big online agency for the extra's alone.

Those people are much more knowledgable than than the yahoo's who answer the phones at RC.

You are correct about not trading stocks, but being able to maintain "control/contact" or whatever word you wish to use without having a TA in the middle can be very valuable. On my cruise last year, we were in a JS, so a price drop and one lone GS become available at around 10:00 p.m. Almost no TA would have been available for the upgrade, however I called Royal, quickly told the agent to grab the suite for me, and then we walked through the mechanics of doing the upgrade. The agent told me 4 other people were in line waiting on the suite I got. In this circumstance, had I booked with a TA, RCCL would not have spoken with me, and we would have missed the chance to upgrade. That is what we mean by control.

If a TA cannot offer substantial perks or OBC, giving up the ability to communicate directly with the cruise line can cost you valuable opportunties.

IMO it's all the same. I go where the perks are and typically that is through some type of online agent. Just make sure its a reputable agent.

To give you an idea of my last booking:

Direct with RCCL Agent - Free "Lover Package" (Strawberries, wine, roses)

RCCL Site myself - Nothing

Large Online Agent - $235 OBC

B&M Agent - Nothing but typically a bottle of wine

You probably know which I chose.

There are some TA's out there if you search that will give you perks such as Onboard credit and/or Prepaid gratuities.

That said we always book direct as I like to have control of our reservation.

I must be doing something wrong, cause I've never found a TA that offered anything other than a bottle of wine or a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. I've even tried that web site that sends you quotes from multiple TAs. No great discounts on the cruises I choose.....maybe $10. per person.......:confused:

Even our next Princess cruise, only one TA responded, and their quote was higher than what we got from booking directly. And no perks were even offered.

We've done better with the Crown & Anchor coupons, or the weekly specials.

But I have transferred booking to a TA just before final payment to get that bottle of wine;)

I knwo of agents who get "worked to death" over trying ot placate potential customers who are only shopping. Nothing wrong with looking for the best deal or best value, but margins sometimes are quite thin for some agents.

With the big box on line valuome agencies, their rep[resentatives are employees, not travel agents or consultants. They get a salary and a small commission, with the majority of the commission going to the company...It is how they make their money and profits. What the reps get is a small stipend.

On brick and mortar agencies, or work from home affiliated agencies, the agent gets a percentage of the total commission, typically 50% or more depending onthe volume they produce for the agency.

From my knowledge any perks you receive is usually provided by the agent, not the agency, unless you are dealing with an owner/operator.

With some agents getting "only" 50% they do not want to spend much time with "shoppers" Many do all of the leg work only to have the "customer" go to a low bidder or perk provider.

A friend agent has shown me where he sometimes gets commissions as low as 25-30 dollars for a single booking of the least expensive cabin. And he says it takes as much time as working with a client who books suites or balconies or multiple rooms.

Bottom line he is very resistant to a cold call, and prefers to work with referrals and friends and family.

Again the agent works for and gets paid by the cruiseline, not the customer, so it is always in your own best interest ot get whatever you can...either in perks or in value added.

Archived