Ship time vs port time?

Ship time is determined by a clock; Jamaican time is determined by a complex system of motivating factors smiley-char089.gif

Although this response didn't answer the OP's question I thought it was funny. :)

Jamaica is in the same time zone as Florida, eastern time. However, unlike most of the USA, Jamaica does not observe daylight saving time. If you are cruising on Freedom during daylight saving time you will be one hour ahead of the local time in Ocho Rios.

Whether Freedom will change ship time to match local time I do not know but my hunch is that the ship probably will not. Perhaps someone who sailed recently can answer. As far as shore tours, the local vendors are pretty good about keeping track of the different ships.

Although this response didn't answer the OP's question I thought it was funny. :)

:p There are some places that I would not expect to run by a clock. If jamaicans started running around looking at their watches it would be just like Dallas with a different accent. And, yes, I can be a smart @$$ :D

Funny responses!!

The real answer of course, is always keep your watch on ship time, which will not change over the course of your cruise!!!

No idea what they do on transatlantic or other long cruises. But on R/T cruises, the time zone of your departure port is the time zone the ship keeps, for the entire cruise.

Don't change your watch to "island time" -- always know what time it is on ship time, or else you could miss the boat!

Funny responses!!

The real answer of course, is always keep your watch on ship time, which will not change over the course of your cruise!!!

Don't change your watch to "island time" -- always know what time it is on ship time, or else you could miss the boat!

And DON"T use your cell phone as the "watch" or clock. Most cells are programmed to switch time zones (not sure on the observe DST/not observe DST thing though).

If you're looking at a ship sponsored excursion it will be based on ship time. If you're looking to an independent vendor for an excursion, you should contact them to determine which time they are using. Most reputable excursion vendors are very aware of the time differences and work hard to get you picked up and returned at the proper time.

Can someone tell me if the "Ship's Time" is observed on the Conquest out for New Orleans to Key West and the Bahamas?

We are used to West Coast cruises where we usually change time to match local time. The old Carnival Spirit 8 Day would go from the Pacific Zone to Mountain to Central Zone and back.

There is an excursion we can make in Key West if the ship stays on Central. :)

First time cruiser so cut me some slack.

If Carnival Freedom is in port in Ocho Rios are the ships clocks and jamaican clocks stating the same time? Will be in Jamaica September 6th.

Thanks,

It depends on the ship. Most CCL ships, but not necessarly all of them, will remain on (that is stay with) the same time zone as their homeport (currently Fort Lauderdale -- Eastern Daylight Savings Time for the Carnival Freedom).

Jamaica is in the Eastern Time zone also, but does not observer Daylight Savings Time, there Sip Time and Local Time are different by one hour.

As others have said always stay on "Ship Time" or you might miss the ship :eek:.

very simple solution: when you leave the ship, ask the security guard what time is it ships time. He or she will tell you and you can set your watch to the time he/she tells you. then you will be on correct time and not miss the ship.

Archived