Copenhagen to Frederiksborg Castle

Sutho

Hi I am on Aurora's cruise to the Baltic next month and the ship has a 2 day stop in Copenhagen. I noticed P&O have a tour to Frederiksborg Castle (somewhat north of the city).

I am travelling with a friend and we want to avoid group tours and will not be interested in booking a private tour. We would like to know what is the best method of public transport to this castle and if anyone has been there by train/bus using Denmarks public transport system.

We are putting pen to paper and have decided a DIY approach to all ports is best except for St. Petersburg.

It's very easy to get from Copenhagen to Hillerød where Frederiksborg Palace is located. From any S-train station in central Copenhagen (that is København H, Vesterport, Nørreport, Østerport or Nordhavn), take a northbound train with direction Hillerød and get off at the last stop (Hillerød). From the Hillerød station it'a about a 1 mile walk through the old city centre to the castle. You can map the walk out on Google Earth. Walk along Søndre Jernbanevej, Torvet and Slotsgade to reach the castle.

It's 9 zones from Copenhagen to Hillerød, cheapest and easiest is to go with two 2-zones clip cards (containing 10 stampings each valid 2 zones). One card should be stamped 9 times each way and is then valid for both of you (you have paid for 2x9 zones each way). The last two punchings can be used for a local trip in Copenhagen.

The 24 hour transportation card is cheaper than the 2 zone card, the 2 zone klippekort costs 145 DKK and the 24 hour card costs 130 DKK

The Copenhagen Card will give you free transportation and entrance to the museum and it costs 279 DKK and is valid in 24 hour.

Thanks for all the replies. It seems like it is the best way to see the Castle. We are in Copenhagen 6th July from 8am to 7th July leaving at 5pm. I somehow think the first day will be the best for us to take the train there.

In this period there are unfortunately trackworks which make the trip a bit more complicated, but still doable. From any central Copenhagen station, take a northbound train towards Farum (line A) to Ryparken station. At Ryparken station, change to line E towards Hillerød. At Ryparken station you will have to go to the other platform via the underpass. On the way home, it's the same deal: Take an E train towards Ny Ellebjerg, change at Ryparken for line A towards Køge and get off at your desired stop. In Hillerød Station there is also a bus transporting you the short way from the station to the castle, but I would prefer walking.

In this period there are unfortunately trackworks which make the trip a bit more complicated, but still doable. From any central Copenhagen station, take a northbound train towards Farum (line A) to Ryparken station. At Ryparken station, change to line E towards Hillerød. At Ryparken station you will have to go to the other platform via the underpass. On the way home, it's the same deal: Take an E train towards Ny Ellebjerg, change at Ryparken for line A towards Køge and get off at your desired stop. In Hillerød Station there is also a bus transporting you the short way from the station to the castle, but I would prefer walking.

Thanks very much for your advice. I looked at google maps and Ryparken is not too far out of Copenhagen am I correct.

We are both young I am 30 and my friend Katia is 26 and we will probably enjoy walking to the castle more unless it rains. I feel I have to take her now I shared a photo on her facebook page of the castle and the respnse was allot of yes yes yes! so looks like the castle it is now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

'

It's very easy to get from Copenhagen to Hillerød where Frederiksborg Palace is located. From any S-train station in central Copenhagen (that is København H, Vesterport, Nørreport, Østerport or Nordhavn), take a northbound train with direction Hillerød and get off at the last stop (Hillerød). From the Hillerød station it'a about a 1 mile walk through the old city centre to the castle. You can map the walk out on Google Earth. Walk along Søndre Jernbanevej, Torvet and Slotsgade to reach the castle.

It's 9 zones from Copenhagen to Hillerød, cheapest and easiest is to go with two 2-zones clip cards (containing 10 stampings each valid 2 zones). One card should be stamped 9 times each way and is then valid for both of you (you have paid for 2x9 zones each way). The last two punchings can be used for a local trip in Copenhagen.

Is Frederiksborg Palace same as Frederiksborg Slot?

We want to see changing of guard July 7th or July 8th. I want to verify that we should be at Rosenberg Castle by 11:30 am then do we follow march to Amalienborg for change of guard at noon?

Also can we go inside Rosenberg Castle before 11:30 am and how long to walk around?

Yes Frederiksborg Palace is the same as Frederiksborg Slot.

Regarding Rosenborg they will open at 10:00 so there is plenty of time to see the castle before the changing of the guards.

Do you know that the guards parade starts from the barracks at Rosenborg so you can walk with them to Amalienborg.

The 24 hour transportation card is cheaper than the 2 zone card, the 2 zone klippekort costs 145 DKK and the 24 hour card costs 130 DKK

The Copenhagen Card will give you free transportation and entrance to the museum and it costs 279 DKK and is valid in 24 hour.

Can we pay for Copenhagen Card by credit card and where do we buy?

Just a quick note on this thread for the benefit of anyone as dumb as me. :rolleyes:

Frederiksborg castle (palace?) is over 20 miles north of Copenhagen by train or road.

Frederiksburg castle (or palace?) is in the city, about a mile-and-a-half west of the Town Hall/Tivoli Gardens.

Be aware, & be sure which you're dealing with when researching or asking.

I reckon Fred had an evil streak & wanted to confuse tourists :D

JB :)

• 1 month later...
Just a quick note on this thread for the benefit of anyone as dumb as me. :rolleyes:

Frederiksborg castle (palace?) is over 20 miles north of Copenhagen by train or road.

Frederiksburg castle (or palace?) is in the city, about a mile-and-a-half west of the Town Hall/Tivoli Gardens.

Be aware, & be sure which you're dealing with when researching or asking.

I reckon Fred had an evil streak & wanted to confuse tourists :D

JB :)

Just to correct John Bull. The castle west of town hall is called Frederiksberg, not Frederiksburg. This small casle is located in Frederiksberg Garden, just next to the Copenhagen Zoo. It is military property and cannot be visited, but you can get very close, just not inside. There is no reason to go out there, unless you want to go to the Zoo or visit Frederiksberg Garden, which is a very pleasant park.

The great castle/palace i Hillerød is called Frederiksborg as John states.

Archived