Connection time in Toronto

I sure hope so - I just booked an early morning flight for October 11th out of Cleveland to Quebec with a stop in Toronto - layover is a little less than 1 1/2 hours....Can't imagine it will be a problem.....

Two terminals in Toronto. Terminal 1 (WestJet + others) and Terminal 3 (Air Canada + star alliance).

Assuming you are connecting at Terminal 3 (Air Canada + partners). On an international arrival you follow the signs into the line for canada customs, if it is busy they split the line and put connecting passengers into an express line. You pick-up baggage, walk through customs and deposit on the connecting baggage belt.

If you are making an international connection (e.g. US->Europe) there is a separate are just before the escalator down to customs where they do a passport check and then let you into the international concourse (no messing with bags).

When going back to the US, you actually clear US customs in Toronto before boarding your Cleveland flight.

I would not be worried about 1 1/2 hour connection, however I also would not take my time making the transfer. If you miss the flight my experience with Air Canada is they simply put you on the next flight no questions asked.

Thanks for the info - I hadn't even thought about not having enough time in Toronto until I read that other post......We are flying Air Canada so now I know what we do when we switch planes......Our flight leaves Cleveland at 6:40AM which means we can get breakfast there before we leave and not worry about anything in Toronto....we don't have to worry about the return trip as we are taking a cruise and it ends in Boston so we fly home from there. So I appreciate your input and hopefully the person that posted this will read your response and feel reassured also.

Two terminals in Toronto. Terminal 1 (WestJet + others) and Terminal 3 (Air Canada + star alliance).

Assuming you are connecting at Terminal 3 (Air Canada + partners). On an international arrival you follow the signs into the line for canada customs, if it is busy they split the line and put connecting passengers into an express line. You pick-up baggage, walk through customs and deposit on the connecting baggage belt.

If you are making an international connection (e.g. US->Europe) there is a separate are just before the escalator down to customs where they do a passport check and then let you into the international concourse (no messing with bags).

When going back to the US, you actually clear US customs in Toronto before boarding your Cleveland flight.

I would not be worried about 1 1/2 hour connection, however I also would not take my time making the transfer. If you miss the flight my experience with Air Canada is they simply put you on the next flight no questions asked.

This info is backwards. AC and the star alliance partners are all at Terminal 1. WestJet, and the non alliance partners such as Delta, AA, KLM, British Airways etc are at Terminal 3. The connection between the two is a train that runs every 5 - 10 mins. At Terminal 1 the train is attached to the parking garage and at Terminal 3 it is at the hotel which is also attached to the parking garage.

Under most conditions, 2 hours would be enough. Especially if the connection is in the same terminal and doesn't include a US final destination. You will need to clear Canadian passport check on arrival. Terminal 3 is the less busy and easier to make the connection. When we went through US Customs at Terminal 3 this past Feb it took all of 10 mins. Customs and security combined on this occasion was maybe 15 mins. We have never gone through both that fast but the US Customs agent attributes the change to some airlines ( United and Continental ) joining Air Canada at terminal 1 lightening the load at T3. T1 on the other hand can be very busy but again the last time we went through it took a combined 60 mins for both Customs and security.

Hope that helps.

Archived