British Isles Trip Review w/Pics: A Thesis :)

DeloreanGirl

i need to make another list of all the tickets we need to buy on line before cruise !!!:D

It does help.

Just make sure you have a credit card like Captial One or Chase Freedom that don't charge foreign transaction fees. Otherwise you'll take a small hit with every "across the pond" purchase. ;)

A number of us arranged Vision Tours coach (May 26 cruise arranged by In Retirement) for 10GBP per person round trip - picked us up at South Queensferry pier just after 8 am and dropped us off as close to Edinburgh Castle that buses are allowed. We were picked up around 4:30 at the bottom of the Royal Mile adjacent to Holyrood Palace -- the August 2012 group followed my advice and have arranged a similar group --- it was convenient and relaxing --- Bruce Nelson (Neilson) runs a tour company out of the area and it was via him that we saw Inverness and area as well as doing the Edinburgh coach. The problem with shuttles that don't have a set group and time is that may be everyone gets to the shuttle for the return at the same time.

Vaughan,

Thanks for the tip about Vision Tours. I checked their website (at least I think it was their website...) and there really isn't any information there other than how to contact them. Do you know how many people were needed to book the coach for 10GBP per person?

Lynn

It does help.

Just make sure you have a credit card like Captial One or Chase Freedom that don't charge foreign transaction fees. Otherwise you'll take a small hit with every "across the pond" purchase. ;)

And before you order the tickets call the credit card company to let them know there will be charges from overseas so they will not get rejected as fraud.

Vaughan,

Thanks for the tip about Vision Tours. I checked their website (at least I think it was their website...) and there really isn't any information there other than how to contact them. Do you know how many people were needed to book the coach for 10GBP per person?

Lynn

It was privately arranged by in etirement. It was not official tour. Bruce Nelson our tour guy for loch Ness coordinated it for us.

Is there a certain Capital One card to have for converting? Or will anyone do? Thanks

I think all of their cards have the no currency excharge fee feature, but be sure to read the info before signing up. Also make sure it the card you sign up for has no annual fee.

Edited by caribill

Is there a certain Capital One card to have for converting? Or will anyone do? Thanks

I thought it was just the Capital One "Venture" card series. But it might be all of them.

Here is a breakdown:

http://www.capitalone.com/creditcards/products/browse-all/rewards/?external_id=WWW_E3570_ZZZ_ONL-SE_ZZZGB_ZZ_ZZ_T_SEM2_ZZVC_Z18_229125307

And yes, be sure to tell your credit card company and bank that you'll be overseas. We told Capital One that we'd be in 4 countries as well as Bank of America and they both put "trip tickets" on our account.

Hi Emily

Great to see you are still receiving rave reviews - well deserved!!

Well that's us back from our Norwegian Cruise, had a fabulous time and weather was unbelievable, pure blue skies nearly every day and the sun not setting for 3 days, got so confused by it all we were still sitting in the bars at 1.30 a.m.:D

We didn't have any internet on board ship nor could we really find any free wifi on shore to read all the threads but have just caught up with Pia's LIVE from.... and spotted your comments about the model ship, would have been a pleasure to have looked for you. We are back on CB in August for the t/a so if you have no luck by then we will certainly look and if lucky will post to you at one of our US stops, we're also staying on to do the Canada & New England trip.

Spoke to a lot of of upset passengers and crew about missing Liverpool, here's hoping they make it next week!!

Maureen

To Maureen (Mrs. Moho)..thank you very much for posting the YouTube video so I got to hear the music when we left Liverpool. I always watch when we leave but missed this one for some reason. A GF caught the image of our ship via port cam as we left this port and I could see we were on the wrong side and probably indoors. Enjoy your upcoming cruise. Would you mind sending me your email address: sandy@yahoo dot ca

Hi Sandy

I have tried to send you an email, it has bounced back:confused:

Maureen

To Maureen (Mrs. Moho)..thank you very much for posting the YouTube video so I got to hear the music when we left Liverpool. I always watch when we leave but missed this one for some reason. A GF caught the image of our ship via port cam as we left this port and I could see we were on the wrong side and probably indoors. Enjoy your upcoming cruise. Would you mind sending me your email address: sandy@yahoo dot ca

Hi Sandy

Maureen

try soaring2005 at yahoo dot ca (not COM)

Hi Emily

Great to see you are still receiving rave reviews - well deserved!!

Well that's us back from our Norwegian Cruise, had a fabulous time and weather was unbelievable, pure blue skies nearly every day and the sun not setting for 3 days, got so confused by it all we were still sitting in the bars at 1.30 a.m.:D

We didn't have any internet on board ship nor could we really find any free wifi on shore to read all the threads but have just caught up with Pia's LIVE from.... and spotted your comments about the model ship, would have been a pleasure to have looked for you. We are back on CB in August for the t/a so if you have no luck by then we will certainly look and if lucky will post to you at one of our US stops, we're also staying on to do the Canada & New England trip.

Spoke to a lot of of upset passengers and crew about missing Liverpool, here's hoping they make it next week!!

Maureen

Hi Maureen!

Oh yes, yes, yes, yes pleeeeeeeease if you see the model (the one that is 8-9" long and not the tiny one) please let me know and I can send you payment with shipping via check or PayPal.com.

So glad you had a good time with good weather!

I would looooove to do the New England itinerary. My in-laws live near Bar Harbor, Maine and I've only been to Boston and NYC through the airports only. How neat. :D

Hi Maureen!

Oh yes, yes, yes, yes pleeeeeeeease if you see the model (the one that is 8-9" long and not the tiny one) please let me know and I can send you payment with shipping via check or PayPal.com.

You may want to post your request on Pia's current libe from the Carbbean Princess. Maybe she can look for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1655510

Edited by caribill

Hi Sandy

Maureen

try soaring2005 at yahoo dot ca (not COM)

My goodness, Maureen, my brain must have been still suffering from jet lag. Actually, my name starts another email address I have but it turns out a combination of the two addresses don't work. Who knew! :eek: Once again vaughan has come to my rescue and what he said above is correct, so please try again! Thanks, Rick! ;)

Sandy :)

Emily, I have another question. It seems as if you took Princess transfers to Victoria Coach Station. What time dod you debark and what time did you arrive in London? Did they get you off the ship early? I was trying to arrange some sites and possibly theater tickets. I just reread your wonderful review as we prepare for our July 8th departure. Thanks again.

Emily, I have another question. It seems as if you took Princess transfers to Victoria Coach Station. What time dod you debark and what time did you arrive in London? Did they get you off the ship early? I was trying to arrange some sites and possibly theater tickets. I just reread your wonderful review as we prepare for our July 8th departure. Thanks again.

(same trip as Delorean Girl) An alternative, we took the International Friends tour from Southampton to Salisbury, Stonehenge and Windsor Castle with a drop off a our downtown hotel just after 5 pm -- 55GBP (plus pre-pay admissions to Stonehenge and Windsor Castle, drop off people at Heathrow area hotels and then downtown - only 1/2 of the passengers did this, and as it was raining, we did not have to wait in line for tickets to get in saving ourselves from getting extra wet and/or losing time in line). We left around 8:00 am and were at Salisbury before 9:00. We did see the various Princess buses taking people to the airport, etc. Disembarking starts at 6 am (including self-luggage walk off which was available at 600 and 650). Everyone is "off the ship" by about 8:30. Princess offers the direct shuttle to Victoria Station (which we took TO the ship). You arrive at the Victoria COACH station (a short walk to the TRAIN station), but many taxis are available to take you to your hotel.

Hi there,

Everyone that goes on the "Princess to Victoria Station" buses have to be in one of the dining rooms by 8:30am. We were only there for a few minutes before they called our number (Green 2) and our group went down to the terminal to collect our luggage and out to the coach. We were on the coach by about 9am and it took 2 hours on the dot to reach central London (Victoria Coach Station/Arrivals). So I'd say you'll be in London no later than 11am-noon at the most.

Hope this helps!

This was where I read Emily's request....

Hopefully someone else may read it and help Emily out, if not, we will certainly try:)

Maureen

Yes, thank you! :D I am batting my eyelashes at anyone going on the CB in July and August. Maybe the models aren't selling well and they are discontinuing them. I know it exists, since I've seen it on YouTube. I'm also keeping my eyes peeled on eBay. :rolleyes:

Emily,

Your review has moved the British Isles cruise to a "maybe sometime" to let's plan to book this for Summer 2013. When we did the Baltic back in 2010, the Star had mechanical isssues and we missed Stockholm so we're hoping to do a b2b from Southhampton to include that port as well as Oslo and revisit St Petersburg & Tallin.

Would you email me your word version of your review. It definitely will be the mainstay in the Brit Isles folder I've just created.

Can't wait to see where your travels take you next....

Pam

We did this cruise in July of 2009, and reading your review makes me want to go again. We loved it because we went to Glasgow (my Dad's birthday place) and to Normandy (where my Dad landed back on D-day). It was kind of a tribute cruise to him. All in all, a wonderful cruise.

Yes, thank you! :D I am batting my eyelashes at anyone going on the CB in July and August. Maybe the models aren't selling well and they are discontinuing them. I know it exists, since I've seen it on YouTube. I'm also keeping my eyes peeled on eBay. :rolleyes:

If you don't get it before August I'll keep an eye out for you!

Would you email me your word version of your review. It definitely will be the mainstay in the Brit Isles folder I've just created.

Can't wait to see where your travels take you next....

Pam

Hiya Pam,

Just sent it today, check your email. :)

If you don't get it before August I'll keep an eye out for you!

Yes please! Thank you! :rolleyes:

Edited by DeloreanGirl

• 2 weeks later...