Viking and refrigerators

rahrah50

I am booked on the Viking Emerald for the Imperial Jewels of China trip in 2013. I know there are no refrigerators in the cabins but is it possible to have a refrigerator??? My insulin needs refrigeration. How has anyone else dealt with this????

Thanks

I am booked on the Viking Emerald for the Imperial Jewels of China trip in 2013. I know there are no refrigerators in the cabins but is it possible to have a refrigerator??? My insulin needs refrigeration. How has anyone else dealt with this????

Thanks

Dear rahrah50,

You are correct, there are no refrigerators in the cabins on the Viking Emerald, however we do have some available with the onboard doctor and in the kitchen. Please contact us at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com so that we may help you make arrangements for your medical needs. We hope you are looking forward to your cruise just as much as we are looking forward to having you!

Best,

Viking River Cruises

Remember, if they give you one for your room that they will kick out a lot of heat

as part of there normal operation, adjust your a/c accordingly.

Have you checked out Frio cold packs? They are charged by soaking in water and require no ice. I buy mine on Amazon.com. Just a brief look http://www.amazon.com/FRIO-Insulin-Cooling-Wallet-Large/dp/B0002262DA

I am not diabetic but use Frio for other injectable meds. Have done so for years. Great on airplanes. I've recharged mine in a glass of water on long flights. Do not put the Frio unit into a plastic bag as it will cease to work. Follow the instructions. I have several of these and have never worn one out.

IMO I would be wary of depending on those FRIO packs in a humid environment.

If I am not mistaken they work like an evaporation cooler and require low humidity

for best operation, you will not have that on a river cruise. The contents of the pack absorb water into a poly-crystal medium ( dry to touch ) and these crystals are what control the long term evaporative cooling process, a dry environment like an airplane would be ideal. Perhaps a FRIO would work well for your flight to the embarkation point and return. I do not think I would count on it for use during the cruise. Check with the FRIO manufacture to be sure.

IMO I would be wary of depending on those FRIO packs in a humid environment.

If I am not mistaken they work like an evaporation cooler and require low humidity

for best operation, you will not have that on a river cruise. The contents of the pack absorb water into a poly-crystal medium ( dry to touch ) and these crystals are what control the long term evaporative cooling process, a dry environment like an airplane would be ideal. Perhaps a FRIO would work well for your flight to the embarkation point and return. I do not think I would count on it for use during the cruise. Check with the FRIO manufacture to be sure.

My Frios have worked for me on planes and at meetings in hotels that last all day and into the night. I even spent 4 days (walking to and fro) at the New Orleans Convention Center with no issues, but obviously they had the a/c on in the Convention Center.

I have used them on cruise ships and on a boat on the Columbia River and Snake River (Queen of the West) with no problems, but out of our 7 days on the Columbia River and the Snake River, coming from east to west in was dry until it started to rain about half way through the trip my Frio still worked but it was in the a/c most of the time. My room did not have a fridge or room to put one.

When my Frios don't work well is when they are down in the bottom of my purse/camera bag for as you mentioned they need air circulation.

I don't see the Frio as a primary cooling unit for some folks, but it gets me through the long days when I'm away from my hotel or from home. They provide me with more flexibility than if I had to carry around ice and etc.

Now and then I rotate them and let the one that is off duty dry out completely. That was in the instructions on the first one I was able to get. Now Amazon has them. And a good variety of them. They are not covered by my insurance.

Like I said check with the manufacture, if it depends on evaporation to cool then it will not work well in a humid environment. An aircraft is a perfect low humidity environment as is any A/C cooled space. A traditional A/C unit tends to dehumidify as part of its normal operation, a Swamp or evaporative cooler puts humidity into a space.

Thanks for the info about the FRIO. I had just found them in the Travelsmith catalog. Nice to read a review from someone who has used the FRIO. I plan on ordering one very soon!!!!

I had seen folks using Frio but the first chance I had to purchase one was from a catalog that may have been Magellans or TravelSmith as I shop both.

Frio has made my daily life so much easier, not just for travel situations.

I verfied with both my pharmacist and my physician before using Frio. I would suggest you do the same.

My medicine says 'do not freeze' and other warnings about chilling to a low temperature. Find out what yours requires.

Have a wonderful trip!

Archived