Photographing While Kayaking in Ketchikan

Grafx

I will going on the Orca Cove trip with Southeast Sea Kayaks in Ketchikan. I have read that they provide dry bags for your camera. How much trouble is there to take out and put in your camera everytime you want to photograph something. Is there any chance of your camera getting wet in the process of removing it from the bag? Since this is the beginning of a 2 week trip in Alaska, I would hate to have anything happen to my camera. Are Orca and other whales often spotted on the trip or just birds?

I take my digital camera kayaking, but I hang it around my neck with a ziplock bag over it and the bag closed as far as it will go, or put it in the bungee in front of me in a ziplock bag. I only do this when it's sunny though, not when it's raining.

While preparing for a canoe trip last year I borrowed my wife's film camera. She asked why I didn't take my digital SLR I pointed out to her that her point and shoot film camera costs $100 and my digi SLR and lens cost $2500...do the math. After promising to replace her camera if it got broke she let me borrow it.

Sure enough, I had the opportunity to test the swimming ability of her camera and I'm sad to report it didn't survive. As a result the wife has a brand new digital point and shoot.

If you're serious about shooting photos of your kayaking adventure (and if you're not, why not?) I'd recommend using a camera that you don't mind replacing. Failing that, the ziploc suggestion is as valid as any other short of putting your camera in an EWA bag.

I would suggest using a single use waterproof camera -- we kayaked in orca cove on a nice day last may and still got wet from spray and waves. It is not all that easy to access stuff in the dry bag, as you will have a spray skirt on. By all means bring some sort of camera, however -- we had some playful sea lions right by the kayaks, and you will see all sorts of sea stars and anemones, as well as eagles and other birds, not to mention the spectacular scenery. They do make waterproof cases for all kinds of cameras as well (meant for diving) -- these would also work well.

We didn't see whales, but you might get lucky!

It is a pain to keep taking the camera out of the dry bad every time you want a picture. Your best bet is to have a sort of 'cheapie' digital with enough of a zoom to get some wildlife shots. I really can't see the camera getting wet because you usually stop when you want to take a picture. The ziolock bag is a great idea because it's great to have the camera handy for those last second great shots. For us, the tour stopped often enough to get pictures basically whenever we wanted.

I would suggest using a single use waterproof camera -- we kayaked in orca cove on a nice day last may and still got wet from spray and waves. It is not all that easy to access stuff in the dry bag, as you will have a spray skirt on. By all means bring some sort of camera, however -- we had some playful sea lions right by the kayaks, and you will see all sorts of sea stars and anemones, as well as eagles and other birds, not to mention the spectacular scenery. They do make waterproof cases for all kinds of cameras as well (meant for diving) -- these would also work well.

We didn't see whales, but you might get lucky!

Since I would be the one to lose a camara overboard, we've decided to NOT bring our digital camaras. We just got back from Wal-Mart with the intention of buying disposable ones/that can get wet. We actually decided to pay only about $5 more and get re-usable Argus Zoom 35mm Camaras! I will use the ZipLoc bag idea, and if by chance the camara is ruined, the worst part would be losing the pictures from the excursion! By the way, they only cost $15.97 each!

Sharon

OK, I have done this several times, including on my cave tubing in Belize, but I put a fanny pack, shortened up around my neck, with the camera strap around my neck too- if you have one. Put it in a zip lock bag if it makes you feel better, but these aren't wet tours unless it's raining. Then I always have ready access to the camera and it is secure when put back. The dry bags are usually stored by your feet, takes more time getting to it. Yep= goofy looking but it works great for me. :)

the problem with the disposable water proof cameras- they are too fast most of the time and will over expose since they use 800 speed film, if you go this route just expect washed out photos.

Actually I don't think I was clear in my post. We decided against using the disposable waterproof cameras and opted for a re-usable 35mm camaras that uses 400 film. I'm sure you're right about it being safe using your digital/regular camara, but I feel better not taking the chance. So now we have two cheapies, and hopefully they'll do the trick!

Sharon

Archived