Burgandy Provence review??

amd1234

Hi,

Click on the tab 'Cruise Reviews'

Then select 'Member Reviews'

Choose select ship and scroll down to River Royale

Her review is there "Fairfield Nana" along with the one below hers

from someone else.

When are you going? We are going on that cruise at beginning of July.

We were on the Chalon to Arles trip on the River Royale in May and had a great time.

We stayed three days pre-cruise in Bayeux at the Churchill Hotel and took their shuttle to Mt. St.-Michel. The hotel is very nice, a little expensive (but everything is), and was very well - located right downtown. It was about a 10 minute walk from the train station.

We walked to the Bayeux cathedral and to the tapestry two minutes from the hotel, and took a day long Normandy beaches tour with Overlord tours.

Weather was cold and rainy (had to buy a coat at MSM) but sights were amazing and I'd love to spend more time in the region. The walk (or free shuttle) from the car park was about a mile, but flat and easily walkable.

More later about the actual cruise. I'll try to scan our menus and daily activities schedules.

1013453205_ChurchillHotelentrance.jpg.f4d0d6442c9700d3afe5c10e36a9152f.jpg

83265899_WalkingtoMSM.jpg.f8dd9f18b859df38581fbb2dc35dbc58.jpg

142988199_Bunker.jpg.56695b2e05f84d2c6474dedc8f4a2b30.jpg

Thanks so much for the information. I found the review. We are going next June 2013 and the itinerary is reversed. We end ithe trip in Marseille. Have a great trip and please give me a review when you return.

Suzanne, Did you do a precruise to Paris? We are debating whether to do a post cruise in the Aix Provence region. How were your accomodations? We didn't upgrade to French balcony we chose the large window. Did Uniworld take care of your transfers etc? Thanks again.

We did not do the Paris pre-cruise, but went instead to Normandy on our own. Uniworld took care of our transfer from Arles to Marseilles after the cruise and would have done a transfer from Lyon to Chalon pre cruise if our TA had informed Uniworld 45 days prior to embarkation. We chose instead to spend the night pre-cruise in Chalon ( St. George's hotel is right across the street from the train station) so we didn't need the transfer.

We were in Room 207 on the bottom deck, and had no problems at all. No noise and lovely swans right outside the window. We never spent any time in the room except to sleep, as we were up very early to take walks after breakfast and before the city tours, and dinner was an hour or two after we returned from the afternoon excursions and lasted until 9 or 10 every night.

There was a sign at reception saying that we could upgrade to the balcony for $495 pp, but coincidentally, our total ship charges at the end of the cruise were just about $1,000, and that included all the optional excursions and our tips which we charged to our ship account.

We always get a balcony on ocean cruises, and I was a little hesitant getting a room with just the portholes, but honestly, the rooms are the same size ( all small ), and I thought the extra money was well,spent on the excursions. The ones to the truffle farm, the olive farm, and the Pont du Gard, especially were wonderful.

Thanks again.. Information most helpful.. Its a huge trip for us and trying to organize our three days in Paris is overwhelming. I have a year to sort all the information. It will all fall in place. We did Blue Danube trip in 2007 on AMA and this trip included three days in Prague and Prague was easy to navigate. Paris I don't know!!! My husband wasn't thrilled with the food on AMA and he is a very fussy eater(plain old food).. I hope he likes the:confused: food on Uniworld.

• 2 months later...

Hi Suzanne, Had a few questins thought maybe you could help with.

Did you end in Arles? If so, do you know if they would let you leave your luggage onboard on disembark day so we could tour. Our cruise ends on Easter Sunday and we want to spend additional time in Arles that day before heading to the airport for a flight the next day?

Also, I really wanted to do the olive farm and winery but now see it is also the day the ship goes through the big lock (and has a martini happy hour!). Could you share the cost of that additional excursion and share any insite that other passengers told you about what you may have missed?

Thanks!

We did this cruise in May 2012 , but in the other direction. Starting in Arles, we stayed one night in the Hotel Belvedere--two blocks from where the River Royale docks-- and it was really a nice place and in a great area for exploring and dinner. We stayed 3 nights pre-cruise in Aix-en-Provence, rented a car to explore the towns and sights in the area (fantastic), as well as walk-about in Aix which is a beautiful and vibrant city!! One of our highlights of the entire trip was the tour of the Olive oil farm and Baux de Provence.

Archived