Stingray City with Young Children

dleighb

We will be traveling with two children, ages 6 and 3 on the Disney Magic. The cruise line does not permit children under 8 on their stingray city tour. Has anyone traveled on a string ray tour with children this young (both are able to swim)? If so, what tour company did you use?

We did a Disney cruise when my son was 5 that went to the Caymans (keep in mind that was 7 years ago). We used Captain Marvin's - easy to book and a very small group. We brought my son his own life jacket - but we always did that when he was small so I didn't have to worry about the fit. My husband or I had to basically hold my son the whole time we were at "stingray city". The stingrays were a little overwhelming for him and the water was actually pretty rough. We head back to the Caymans next week and I would love to try the stingrays with my son now that he is 12. My husband gently reminded me how our son "freaked out" at Discovery Cove when the stingrays swam with us so I will abort that idea! I wouldn't hesitate using Captain Marvins again.

We went with native ways in april with our kids age 6 and 8. We also bring their own lifejackets from home even though they can swim (well the 8yo). They weren't that impressed by the sting rays although the conditions might have had something to do with it, the water was choppy and kind of cold so they weren't too comfortable.

Thanks for the comments! I know their parents want to go, and we want to go (because I didn't get nearly enough time last time we were there). We will make sure the girls have their own life jackets. The water was a bit choppy when we were there too, so I might want a life jacket for myself as I am barely 5ft and last time the water was frequently over my head. If the girls are uncomfortable or not interested in getting in the water, they can stay on the boat while we change out adults to supervise them. Captain Marvin's will allow them on the excursion though, so that is better than Disney. I would have though of all cruises, Disney would have allowed young kids.

• 2 weeks later...

Our daughter was 3 years old and we did the sting ray city tour. I won't mention the name that we booked with because we were pretty upset with the way things went that day. But to answer your question, she was able to go and swim with the rays.

If you book on your own, there is usually no age limit. Booking with the ship, they always seem to put an age restriction on everything. :(

Archived