Walk From Fira To Oia In July Mid-Afternoon

gatorpuppy

Just keep in mind that the temperature can be sizzling hot at that time of the year. Perhaps taking the bus there and walking back would work???

Get directions from the concierge for the bus to Oia. It's about a 15 minute walk from the top of the finicular to the bus station. Take teh bus to Oia, enjoy the little town. When you are ready to hike back, just face the water and begin walking to your left along the road closest to the water (not down at the shoreline, the main street in town where the church etc. are) and eventually the road turns into the trail. It's quite wide as you go along and it traverses the spine of the island. If you are doing the hike from Oia to Fira make sure you turn around often for the views behind you. I loved this hike. I believe it's about 3 1/2 to 4 miles total. No huge hills or scary parts (I hate scary parts) to worry about.

You're very welcome. One thing you may want to consider is to do the hike from Fira to Oia instead and do it first thing in the morning. The temperature would be more pleasant at the beginning of your hike and just beginning to get hot at the end of your hike. If you start the hike around noon which may be hot to begin with, the temperature could become unbearable by the middle of your hike.

This is the direction we did the hike(Fira to Oia)- for just the reason you mentioned. Also we were not sure how long it would take us and I did not want to get under time pressure to get back to the ship. It was much cooler( not cool, just cooler) first thing when we got off the ship-- it was in May and it was as hot as we would have liked it(and we are from Florida and I love the heat)- but we took plenty of water and since the scenery was so gorgeous, we were frequently stopping for photo ops. Be sure to wear shoes with good traction as the lava rock got a little slippery in places that day b/c I did not have proper shoes on.

Someone asked if it was hilly- it does go up and down a little, but I would not say hilly---I have a difficult time walking in the mtns in NC and it was nothing like that--but of course, it was not as flat as walking in Florida.

This was a truly wonderful experience and I am so glad we did it. Just be prepared for the heat by taking sunscreen and water.

The part from Fira to Imerogovil is the easier section and if you felt you had undertaken too much of a challenge, then you could "duck out" at Imerogovil and catch the bus to Oia as the path comes somewhat closer to the road at the point.

We'll be doing this walk in October. Can you tell me if there is a place to refill water bottles along the way? Or a rest room? There appeared to be a small cafe in someone's pictures where the trail joins the road for a bit.

Thanks

I don't remember any places to refill water bottles- and I thought I remember that we are not suppose to drink the water on Santorini anyway. There was one little roadside cart with drinks when the path got close to the road- somewhere between Imerogovil and Oia- but I definitely would not count on it being there- it was just a cart with an umbrella "awning" and I don't remember any restrooms along the way.

Just be prepared with sunscreen and water- Your backpack might start out a little heavy, but as you drink the water, it will get lighter by the time you start getting hot and a little tired. The scenery is so worth it!

I don't remember any places to refill water bottles- and I thought I remember that we are not suppose to drink the water on Santorini anyway. There was one little roadside cart with drinks when the path got close to the road- somewhere between Imerogovil and Oia- but I definitely would not count on it being there- it was just a cart with an umbrella "awning" and I don't remember any restrooms along the way.

Just be prepared with sunscreen and water- Your backpack might start out a little heavy, but as you drink the water, it will get lighter by the time you start getting hot and a little tired. The scenery is so worth it!

Thanks for the information. We'll plan for no facilities.

For those who have walked this, did you see others walking also? I would really prefer to walk from Oia to Fira and early in the day. That's why I hope we can get one of the fast boats or water taxis at the docks below Fira straight to the dock below Oia. Then we could walk around Oia early and walk back to Fira before it gets too hot. Then we could walk down the steps at Fira to be tendered back to the ship.

There are nine ships there on the day we are there. I want to avoid the cable cars and little donkeys if at all possible which would mean not going to Fira first. I don't want to do that. I want to go to Oia first. It's annoying that this popular port doesn't have a better set up to get to Oia first and avoid Fira if possible.

For those who have walked this, did you see others walking also? I would really prefer to walk from Oia to Fira and early in the day. That's why I hope we can get one of the fast boats or water taxis at the docks below Fira straight to the dock below Oia. Then we could walk around Oia early and walk back to Fira before it gets too hot. Then we could walk down the steps at Fira to be tendered back to the ship.

There are nine ships there on the day we are there. I want to avoid the cable cars and little donkeys if at all possible which would mean not going to Fira first. I don't want to do that. I want to go to Oia first. It's annoying that this popular port doesn't have a better set up to get to Oia first and avoid Fira if possible.

In May we did not see a tremendous number of people on the walk- just enough not to seem isolated or lost, but few enough that we could enjoy the beautiful scenery in a quiet setting. When we finished the walk in Oia, we met another couple from our roll call just beginning their walk from Oia to Fira. Of course, we did not have NINE ships in port the same day. Did you check what time the other ships are in port- hopefully a staggered schedule- I cannot imagine the lines at the cable car with nine ships in port-- you are wise to try and avoid that! I think the pix that were posted on this thread show very few people on the path- much like we experienced.

I think the reason there aren't more options for skipping Fira is that it's Fira's port. They want visitors to visit. It's to their advantage to have the most people possible to go up.

Could you tell me where you found information on the number of ships there? I haven't been able to find a port schedule for Santorini.

Thanks!

I think the reason there aren't more options for skipping Fira is that it's Fira's port. They want visitors to visit. It's to their advantage to have the most people possible to go up.

Could you tell me where you found information on the number of ships there? I haven't been able to find a port schedule for Santorini.

Thanks!

Here is the site:

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/

Choose your destination port and then the date your ship will be in port.

We are the first ship - Celebrity Silhouette - in port that date but we are not "elite" passengers which means we will have a much later tender ticket, probablaly after other ships have arrived and in the heat of the day. It's the chief port we want to hike and it's the worst set up for getting an early start. Every other day on the twelve day cruise we are either the only ship in port or only one other.

The ship stops first at the other end near Oia for those who are going on excursions. We may sign up for the cheapest excursion available just to be able to get off the ship at that point and then walk up to Oia from Amoudi and not even go on the excursion. It's a high price to pay but we may have to do it to be able to spend our time at Santorini the way we want to.

If we wait for a tender at Fira and then have to wait an hour for a cable car it's still going to be mid-day by the time we start on our hike. I just don't see why the ships can't let every one off at Oia who want off the ship at that end.

Here is the site:

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/

Choose your destination port and then the date your ship will be in port.

We are the first ship - Celebrity Silhouette - in port that date but we are not "elite" passengers which means we will have a much later tender ticket, probablaly after other ships have arrived and in the heat of the day. It's the chief port we want to hike and it's the worst set up for getting an early start. Every other day on the twelve day cruise we are either the only ship in port or only one other.

The ship stops first at the other end near Oia for those who are going on excursions. We may sign up for the cheapest excursion available just to be able to get off the ship at that point and then walk up to Oia from Amoudi and not even go on the excursion. It's a high price to pay but we may have to do it to be able to spend our time at Santorini the way we want to.

If we wait for a tender at Fira and then have to wait an hour for a cable car it's still going to be mid-day by the time we start on our hike. I just don't see why the ships can't let every one off at Oia who want off the ship at that end.

Thanks so much for the link, it looks like we're one of 3 ships that day.

I have read of others just buying the cheapest excursion and then ditching the tour. It might be cheaper to use one of the boat services at the Fira port. It's suppose to be a round trip but what are they going to do if you don't show up? I believe it's just 20 euro a person. That's got to be cheaper then any ship excursion! Good luck though, I hope you find something that works.

Carol

Archived