Bringing bicycles on board Celebrity ship

Mercury

• 1 year later...

I can't speak to Celebrity, but I've taken a bicycle on three HAL cruises for a total of three weeks (two of those were back-to-back) in 2011 and 2012. Each time, I confirmed with the cruise line by phone in advance and before booking that they would allow the bicycle.

I bring a folding bike, a Bike Friday. A full-size bike would definitely be more hassle. At embarkation and disembarkation (beginning and end of the cruise) I have it packed into it's travel case--just a large Samsonite suitcase. At those times, it's not even obvious that it is a bicycle, but I don't try to keep it a secret or "smuggle" it either. HAL requires that you keep the bike in your cabin, and yes, a couple of them would crowd the room a bit. The folding bike is a bit smaller (mostly because the wheels are smaller), so that helps.

Yes, there's a risk of mechanical problems or a flat tire when you're miles from the ship. I do a few things to minimize that risk: I carry a cell phone and phone numbers of a couple local taxi companies, I carry spare tubes and even a folding spare tire as well as a few basic tools, and I allow some extra time before the deadline to reboard. I'm also an experienced cyclist, and comfortable with making minor repairs myself.

For me, the benefits are huge. I like having the independence that comes with my own transportation in the port towns. And it makes the experience much better--I see things I wouldn't otherwise see, meet people I wouldn't otherwise meet, and get a sort of "feel" for the place that I would never get enclosed inside a tour bus.

I recommend taking a bicycle on a cruise and intend to continue as long as it's allowed. Yes, there are a few hassles and risks, but for me, it's worth it. I'm also hoping that not too many people do it--I could see the cruise lines prohibiting bicycles if they start to see too many of them.

Interesting thread!

My DH and I love to take biking tours in interesting ports of call. Most of them were arranged ahead of time (via the internet), with some specific requests, since my DH is 6'5". While most of the bikes were the typical mountain/beach cruiser types, I would think that PERHAPS with a bit of planning and networking, one could arrange for some high-end bikes for one-day use? I know the place we used in Malaga Spain had all kinds of connections for equipment. It would be easier than hauling your own.... ;)

I agree with biker. The cobbled streets in most European ports are hell on the wheels of road bikes. A broken chain or a trashed wheel rim 10 miles from port and 30 minutes before sailaway could translate into a very expensive flight to the next port or back home. I store a road bike with friends in Padua and have ridden many hundreds of miles in Northern Italy, but never as part of a cruise. And as much as I love cruising and cycling I never mix the two.

I am an avid long distance cyclist and long distance cruiser as well. We sometimes take excursions in some ports where a bike tour is available. Frequently, we are able to see more sites that way.

However, I concur completely with earlier posts regarding the negatives of trying to bring bikes. Even if you could bring them into your cabin, that would really crowd your cabin.

Also, many ports that we have visited in Europe and elsewhere have road systems that are narrow and loaded with traffic. I cannot imagine trying to bike on any of the Greek islands that we visited, with the narrow roads and sometime kamikaze drivers.

If you want a cycling vacation, they are available. There are some great barge and cycle tours in France. For cruising, leave the bikes at home.

1. I've seen bikes, I think it was on the Equinox.

2. I have also seen those airplane hard plastic bike cases in a group of about 30 people at JFK coming back from an obvious Euro bike trip.

3. Can't remember the line, but someone on CC brought a motorcycle onboard. It was stored for them. They used it. It wasn't some offbeat line either.. Maybe I can find that thread.

1. I've seen bikes, I think it was on the Equinox.

2. I have also seen those airplane hard plastic bike cases in a group of about 30 people at JFK coming back from an obvious Euro bike trip.

3. Can't remember the line, but someone on CC brought a motorcycle onboard. It was stored for them. They used it. It wasn't some offbeat line either.. Maybe I can find that thread.

I would be willing to bet that if you can bring bikes or motorcycles that the cost would be significant. Also, the shipping cost!

On my cruise in march, there have been two dozens motorcycles onboard, most of them harley d's. I didn't care much about them except when being on dominica, it was somewhat disturbing to see the beautiful nature and in the next minute a complete motobike "gang" is making so much noise with their machine...

So, it seems that a lot of things are possible, you have to ask (and pay i guess...)

Archived