Big Atlantic Storm Producing Large Wave Heights

Micktooth

Does anyone know what the policy is on going through versus not going through storms which produce large waves? I know ships will avoid hurricanes at all costs, but what about other storms?

Gingee, I am also going on the Legend on the 29th. I don't think it matters too much which port you leave from, there is always a possibility for rougher seas. You never know if a hurricane will be in the caribbean from July to November. Most of the time people have pretty good weather and pretty good seas. That is why so many people love cruising and continue to cruise. I am sure it will be the same for us.

Even if we hit rough seas, the ships can handle most of them so it is not a matter of safety, just comfort if you are prone to seasickness.

I have been on two cruises and the weather channel always called from rain and storms and we had beautiful weather on both, so you never know what you will get. My favorite cruise of the two was on the Carnival Conquest and the seas were a little bit rougher. I still had a better time on that ship.

Does anyone know what the policy is on going through versus not going through storms which produce large waves? I know ships will avoid hurricanes at all costs, but what about other storms?

Gingee, I am also going on the Legend on the 29th. I don't think it matters too much which port you leave from, there is always a possibility for rougher seas. You never know if a hurricane will be in the caribbean from July to November. Most of the time people have pretty good weather and pretty good seas. That is why so many people love cruising and continue to cruise. I am sure it will be the same for us.

Even if we hit rough seas, the ships can handle most of them so it is not a matter of safety, just comfort if you are prone to seasickness.

I have been on two cruises and the weather channel always called from rain and storms and we had beautiful weather on both, so you never know what you will get. My favorite cruise of the two was on the Carnival Conquest and the seas were a little bit rougher. I still had a better time on that ship.

The policy on going through storms or around them depends on wether you're trying to make it back to New York early to film an episode of The Apprentice or not!

The policy on going through storms or around them depends on wether you're trying to make it back to New York early to film an episode of The Apprentice or not!

Ohhhh hear it comes I feel the Wave Cresting!!!!!:p Sting!!!!:eek:

So far I have never been prone to sea sickness. I'm just always thinking in the back of my mind "will the ship turn over" and the sharks will eat us?

Yup, it happens all the time :p

Yeah...this weather is just awful!!! It's May and I just lit a fire for goodness sake!!! :mad: It's supposed to rain all weekend (again)...they're calling this a nor'easter.

My heart goes out to the people cruising this week.

I also dread the complaints on the boards when they get back....... :eek:

I have cruised out of NYC twice once in May to Bermuda and once in July to Eastern Caribbean. Both times the Atlantic was was a very rough trip. last years trip the ship actually started to list as were we on our way to San Juan The ship was sailing through a cold front in July and was preety scary. I have also cruised 4 other times from Fla. and the seas were much calmer than the Atlantic. I love to cruise but if i have my choice it will not be out of NYC. We are going to try the Mississippi in 2 weeks on the Sensation. I also have heard about the Mississippi was rough will have to judge for myself

I cruised down the Mississippi on the Conquest and had no problems, other than noticing a few vibrations when the ship had to make steeper turns. We certainly didn't experience rough waters.

I have cruised out of NYC twice once in May to Bermuda and once in July to Eastern Caribbean. Both times the Atlantic was was a very rough trip. last years trip the ship actually started to list as were we on our way to San Juan The ship was sailing through a cold front in July and was preety scary. I have also cruised 4 other times from Fla. and the seas were much calmer than the Atlantic. I love to cruise but if i have my choice it will not be out of NYC. We are going to try the Mississippi in 2 weeks on the Sensation. I also have heard about the Mississippi was rough will have to judge for myself

I had no difficulty sailing on the Mississippi...other than the scenery :eek:

It was good to get into the nice blue water after leaving that river!!!!

The Mississippi rough?! Maybe if you are in a john boat.....? No, the MS river is not rough. You cant feel any movement going down the river at all. It was almost like you are sitting still.

We thought there were some strong currents in the Mississippi! It's so twisty and turney (is that a word?). When you leave the Caribbean Sea and come back into the Mississippi you can smell the mud! I found that mighty fascinating!

But then I'm from Brooklyn, what do I know?? :confused:

The MS definitely seemed a bit rougher to me.... but we were on a smaller ship. I could definitely tell when we hit the river coming back in... I'm sure it varies... it didn't bother me, we were on the water, I never expect it to feel like we are sitting still :p

Just heard that the Dawn has canceled this weeks voyage because it will not be getting into N.Y. due to the storm. That really sucks, (can I say that), for all envolved.

The weeks voyage, or the one day Mothers Day CTN?

Just heard that the Dawn has canceled this weeks voyage because it will not be getting into N.Y. due to the storm. That really sucks, (can I say that), for all envolved.

Only the one-day Mother's Day cruise was cancelled. The Dawn will still depart on her next scheduled cruise.

Didn't realize it was just a one day cruise. Although I feel bad for all the people who were planning on spending the day on her, I feel a little better that it is not a weeks cruise that got cancled.

Here is the official NCL statement. This is a little nuts don't you think? To have all these problems affecting the same ship in just a few weeks.

http://ncl.com/news/pr/pr050705a.htm

Not really that strange when you cruise in the Atlantic Ocean. Anyone who would book a cruise doing this itinerary and then act surprised when the ship encounters rough seas didn't do their wheather homework. I'll stick with the Caribbean during the non-hurricane months.

Yuyi64, rough seas can happen anywhere, Atlantic or Caribbean. The Triumph left from Miami last week on its way to Cozumel and had a strong list to one side as a result of a squall (see thread "Triumph tipped over"). Hurricanes obviously happen in the Gulf, Caribbean and Atlantic. I think whenever you are cruising, you should always be somewhat prepared for a rougher ride as you never know what you will get. If a person can't prepare himself for that possibility, maybe cruising isn't for him.

At the same time, I think the cruise lines should avoid large storms and rough seas to the extent feasible. Therefore, I don't think it is fair to say that a person who cruises from NY can not complain if they hit very rough seas if in fact the storm could have been avoided. From the facts I have gathered regarding the 70 foot wave incident, the captain may have been racing to get back to port at all costs.

While it is true that rough seas can happen anywhere, certain bodies of water are more prone to rough waters than others. The Atlantic is well-known for sudden and powerful storms, especially during frontal passages or low troughs. A ship sailing from New York to the Caribbean is more likely to encounter rough seas in the Atlantic than in the Caribbean. Keep in mind that ships departing from Florida's Atlantic ports and heading to the Western Caribbean have to cross the Gulf Stream current, often encountering rougher seas while crossing it. The Triumph incident you cite only proves my point about certain parts of the itinerary being rougher than others. As for ships being able to go around storms, that is not always feasible. Unlike an airplane that can climb above a storm or detour around it, a ship might be unable to avoid a storm without having to go a day or more out of its projected itinerary. The storm that the Dawn encountered during the now infamous "wave" incident was thought to be too large to go around.

Archived