Big Atlantic Storm Producing Large Wave Heights

Micktooth

I believe the Triumph incident occurred in the Caribbean or the Gulf, not the Atlantic.

But regardless, although I agree that the Atlantic in general is more rough than Caribbean, I still think the captains of the Dawn and Legend should try to avoid rough seas to the extent feasible especially if it comes down to safety issues. If a storm is too large to go around, the ship maybe should wait until the storm leaves before proceeding. I have had many flights cancelled or delayed by hours or even a day because the plane could not avoid bad weather. Ships should act in the same manner, IMO.

I had to respond to your initial post regarding those choosing to sail in the Atlantic because it reminded me of the line in the movie Airplane where a news commentator is analyzing the predicament of the passengers on the airplane and he says something like "They knew the risks of flying when they boarded. I say let them die!" LOL

Edited to add that its seems the captain on the Dawn did do the right thing on this past week's sailing by delaying their scheduled arrival to avoid the storm, unlike with the wave incident.

I believe the Triumph incident occurred in the Caribbean or the Gulf, not the Atlantic.

But regardless, although I agree that the Atlantic in general is more rough than Caribbean, I still think the captains of the Dawn and Legend should try to avoid rough seas to the extent feasible especially if it comes down to safety issues. If a storm is too large to go around, the ship maybe should wait until the storm leaves before proceeding. I have had many flights cancelled or delayed by hours or even a day because the plane could not avoid bad weather. Ships should act in the same manner, IMO.

I agree with you, to an extent.... however, having been around here for a while, I can 100% guarantee you that if the ship were to just sit and wait for a storm to pass, you would have SOOOOO many people on these boards whining about it, saying they deserved something becuase they had to just sit and wait in the ocean, miss a port, late to a port, yadda yadda yadda.... The captains of the ship I think do a good job to avoid storms, unless they creep up and there is no way around them... or unless they are late for a filiming of the Apprentice :eek:

I agree with you, to an extent.... however, having been around here for a while, I can 100% guarantee you that if the ship were to just sit and wait for a storm to pass, you would have SOOOOO many people on these boards whining about it, saying they deserved something becuase they had to just sit and wait in the ocean, miss a port, late to a port, yadda yadda yadda.... The captains of the ship I think do a good job to avoid storms, unless they creep up and there is no way around them... or unless they are late for a filiming of the Apprentice :eek:

You are so right! Sometimes the cruise lines can never win! But hopefully they are smart enough to realize that safety comes first, from an economic perspective as well as a moral one.

You are so right! Sometimes the cruise lines can never win! But hopefully they are smart enough to realize that safety comes first, from an economic perspective as well as a moral one.

After seeing how they handled last years string of hurricanes, I was impressed... I think they really do a great job of trying to look out for the best interest of the passengers and crew... of course there are things that cannot be helped, but for the most part, they seem to do pretty good... I will say, and I know this is silly, I would almost enjoy having an event like that, as long as I knew I was safe, what a story to tell!!!!! Not making light at all, but it would definitely be interesting!!!!

Archived