Review of dream by a.n.other from across the water

DreamOKButNotBestMidSizeCruiseShippixel.gifGod Save the Queen!

Firstly to all in the U.K. and of course to her royal highness, congratulations on your Jubilee celebration and milestone. Sixty years is quite an achievement and in today's world almost an eternity.

I have posted many times before on CC and try to keep my reviews concise, direct and to the point.

My wife and I just returned from a week on the Thomson Dream departing from Palma Majorca with port stops in Corsica, Florence/Pisa, Cannes, Toulon (near Marseille) and Barcelona. A "dream" (excuse the pun) itinerary plus wonderful weather. Nothing at all to dislike here.

We are from the U.S.A. and booked this particular cruise based on three criteria:

1) The appeal of the itinerary itself (which did not disappoint in any way)

2) Dream's rating as Cruise Critic's "Best Mid Size Ship" and

3) The generally positive reviews by recent past cruisers of the Dream

I must say immediately that I do not think that Dream is deserving of the website's designation as best mid size ship.

This is of course my opinion and is based on the following:

-the product delivered by the Dream does not compare favorably with the high quality and diversity I've directly experienced from other cruise lines like Celebrity, Holland America and Royal Caribbean.

- the Dream is targeted and focused on the U.K. market so what it provides is crafted and tailored to that constituency. Providing what your niche customers want is good marketing and I can't argue with Thomson's motivation.

However, to others outside of that sphere, what's provided is not diverse, is only of an OK but not great quality and I believe not what cruisers outside of Thomson's limited market are typically looking for.

Designation as best mid size ship among all boats world-wide suggests that an exceptional experience will be provided that differentiates Dream from all the others ranked below it. This was not the case. It was a good experience but not great and certainly not one that would make it stand above others.

As a result, if you're considering a cruise on the Dream and are not from Thomson's narrow market, I would suggest that you pause and do your 'due diligence" beforehand. If your expectations are in line with what you've experienced from global premium even mass market cruise lines, there's a very good chance you'll be grossly disappointed.

I also suspect that the glowing reviews of past travelers are of course due to the source of these opinions.

If a boat's clientele is 99%+ from a discrete population, then these critiques will of course reflect only the views of this small user group.

I am bold enough to say that if a broader and more diverse group of experienced cruisers were to take a cruise on Dream and then post their reviews, it would be very different from what's currently out there.

So enough of my pontificating a few specific reactions of my voyage (if still of interest):

-the service provided by the entire staff was very good. From our room attendant Don Don, to our waiter in the dining room Roberto, to our wine steward William, they aimed to please and delivered.

I cannot say enough of their professionalism, hard work and willingness to do that little something extra that makes all the difference. Kudos to them all.

-We saw all of the on-board musical shows and were impressed with what was provided. There were eight singer/dancers who performed all of the musical performances during the week and they were all good. In this instance Thomson has made a smart trade-off by zeroing in on have capable performers and foregoing the live band for canned music. The formula works.

- The food on the buffet was just awful unless you were British and used to those selections. From the "scrambled eggs" (if that's what they were supposed to be) to the baked beans/blood pudding/kippers for breakfast, borderline inedible.

If a savvy traveler were presented with "Salisbury Steak" as a primary choice for lunch, no doubt they might feed it to their dog .

On top of that the buffet menu never changed, what was presented that first Saturday on arrival till you departed a week later was always what was presented. No variety and no change from day to day.

-The food in the main dining room was comparable to what you might find in a Morrison's cafeteria,Denny's etc. in the states. Edible but certainly not of the caliber you'd expect.

The choices each night for dinner were typically limited to 3 or 4 entrees and no standard entrees (read always available as an option on other boats) like a Caesar salad or salmon as a selection. .

-We could almost forgive the food if at least the coffee was drinkable in the morning. By day two on awakening my wife exclaimed "let's go get some dishwater", and that says it all. I guess we were supposed to drink tea.

-Aside from the entertainment in the theater, the lounge music was of fair quality. Certainly not dancing music, marginally listenable. My take was that the musicians knew maybe 20 songs and repetitiveness was their trademark.

-The lounges then alternated the mediocre music with trivia quiz shows and contests. Cheap to provide and not very entertaining. More importantly for a boat with 1300 passengers there were only two small lounges and so they were almost always cramped for space and overcrowded.

- Information was apparently a valued commodity to Thomson and so was rarely dispensed to the passengers. We simply wanted to know things like what the weather might be at the next port stop or what the process and timing was for securing a tender ticket ( for Cannes). Not generally communicated and if requested at the Reception desk, not provided in a direct manner.

-My hypothesis is that the staff ( 100% Philipino) were actually in charge of the ship. Maybe in this case not such a bad thing.

If you've ever been in the Navy, there's a saying that the non-commissioned officers (petty officers in the U.S. Navy) run the boat. That was my impression here and then some.

The Captain (the self designated "voice from above"--give me a break) and his staff all looked smart & proper in the few instances that you saw them and they "acted" like they were in command of the ship but I never had the impression that this was actually the case.

On other boats I've been on I've seen, then met and interacted with the department heads, they were visible and had a recognizable presence on board and commanded the respect of the staff. In the case of Dream they were pretty but I suspect functionally invisible.

-the elevators (lifts) were a disgrace. There were many physically limited passengers on board with mobility issues and the use of the lifts was a "crapshoot". Waited and waited, never came, if so, would not take you to the floor you wanted, limited in size & speed.

-A plus for the Dream- the passengers were very pleasant and enjoyable company for 2 Yankees . In closing again the Dream experience is good but not a superior one and when measured against what you've experienced from others, it is likely to fall short.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well stick with Disney or whatever then :cool:

you did not do your resarch before sailing :rolleyes:

we like the Dream :)

Stevie

Is it just me that finds Americans wierd?? We have totally different views on EVERYTHING so it seems especially reading other threads by Americans.

Gotta love the yanks though. I'd move to the USA in a heartbeat given the chance!! :D

This review however has got me worried. We sail 3 weeks tomorrow & now I'm considering maybe changing ships if its really as bad as that review says :(

Hi. please dont! Our experience of an American ship is they have to be entertained 24/7.We found there was very little ambience to the cruise itself, and fellow brits found the same. I think there is a huge gap of what our American friends and we want in a cruise, we had a fab time on the dream 2 years ago, we went on the Golden Princess last year and although itinery spot on, we just felt there was something missing;)

Hi. please dont! Our experience of an American ship is they have to be entertained 24/7.We found there was very little ambience to the cruise itself, and fellow brits found the same. I think there is a huge gap of what our American friends and we want in a cruise, we had a fab time on the dream 2 years ago, we went on the Golden Princess last year and although itinery spot on, we just felt there was something missing;)

Thanks for that :D

That said I was looking forward to eating in the Orion & maybe a night or two in the Grill but the thought that it's like Morrisons cafe is not my idea of a nice meal, just worrying now :confused:

Thanks for that :D

That said I was looking forward to eating in the Orion & maybe a night or two in the Grill but the thought that it's like Morrisons cafe is not my idea of a nice meal, just worrying now :confused:

Well I for one look forward to my breakfast in Morrison's cafe when we get to Harwich nice and early ready for our Thomson cruise. :D

But the Orion or Grill it most certainly isn't!!!! The Orion is a very civilised experience with a light, airy and spacious feel and excellent service. The Grill - I have heard excellent reports about although never been as we've enjoyed our meals so much in the main dining room. Having tried the equivalent on Majesty recently though I fully intend to try the Grill next time we're on board.

Don't be put off - I think there is a cultural difference here. We went on an American ship and they seemed to be obsessed with whether lobster and steak was on the menu every night and one passenger even asked if he could have both - on one plate! :eek:

I agree with some of the issues raised by the poster - the lifts for example are a pain but many of the comments stem from an expectation of a more singing dancing kind of experience than the small Thomson ships can provide. They are geared to British tastes and many repeat passengers like that 'comfy' feel of a ship which is more personal, friendly and welcoming than a shopping mall type of mega ship. Each to their own.

But please don't worry - I'm sure you will enjoy your Dream experience. We're not picky people looking for little things to criticise but by the same token I think we expect decent standards and find that's just what we get. The food in the MDR is very good (we didn't use the self-service for main meals so can't comment on that), the entertainment excellent, service, hygiene and ambience superb. We wouldn't go back for more if we weren't happy and we've been on Dream four times.

Well I for one look forward to my breakfast in Morrison's cafe when we get to Harwich nice and early ready for our Thomson cruise. :D

But the Orion or Grill it most certainly isn't!!!! The Orion is a very civilised experience with a light, airy and spacious feel and excellent service. The Grill - I have heard excellent reports about although never been as we've enjoyed our meals so much in the main dining room. Having tried the equivalent on Majesty recently though I fully intend to try the Grill next time we're on board.

Don't be put off - I think there is a cultural difference here. We went on an American ship and they seemed to be obsessed with whether lobster and steak was on the menu every night and one passenger even asked if he could have both - on one plate! :eek:

I agree with some of the issues raised by the poster - the lifts for example are a pain but many of the comments stem from an expectation of a more singing dancing kind of experience than the small Thomson ships can provide. They are geared to British tastes and many repeat passengers like that 'comfy' feel of a ship which is more personal, friendly and welcoming than a shopping mall type of mega ship. Each to their own.

But please don't worry - I'm sure you will enjoy your Dream experience. We're not picky people looking for little things to criticise but by the same token I think we expect decent standards and find that's just what we get. The food in the MDR is very good (we didn't use the self-service for main meals so can't comment on that), the entertainment excellent, service, hygiene and ambience superb. We wouldn't go back for more if we weren't happy and we've been on Dream four times.

Thanks Kruzseeka that sounds more like it. (Breakfast or a quick lunch in morrisons cafe I can do was more worried about the evening lol.)

I prefer the more personal, comfy type of cruise so what you've described is fine by me. I do really believe your holiday is what you make it so i think I just need to relax!! :eek:

The lifts I'm not too bothered about, I've already promised myself I'm going to use the stairs as much as possible. Been dieting far too long to just let myself go. Going to be hard enough with what I'll be eating & drinking so the least I can do is use the stairs :p

My big worry is believe it or not, teabags haha. Should I take my own as I only like Tetley & my sweeteners will be with me anyway but can't stand the thought of not having a decent cup of tea for two weeks :confused:

Thanks Kruzseeka that sounds more like it. (Breakfast or a quick lunch in morrisons cafe I can do was more worried about the evening lol.)

I prefer the more personal, comfy type of cruise so what you've described is fine by me. I do really believe your holiday is what you make it so i think I just need to relax!! :eek:

The lifts I'm not too bothered about, I've already promised myself I'm going to use the stairs as much as possible. Been dieting far too long to just let myself go. Going to be hard enough with what I'll be eating & drinking so the least I can do is use the stairs :p

My big worry is believe it or not, teabags haha. Should I take my own as I only like Tetley & my sweeteners will be with me anyway but can't stand the thought of not having a decent cup of tea for two weeks :confused:

Yes - why not? Apart from the Liptons I think there was an alternative brand as well and some herbal teas, Earl Grey, English breakfast etc. Perhaps someone can remember exactly - I've really only got an impression of what was available. I always take some Nescafe Cappuccino satchets to make us a late night coffee. The hot water's there and no one is going to bother if you use your own tea bags - I wouldn't go thinking I might not enjoy a cuppa all holiday - just take some of your own to be sure! ;)

I was just about to post and remembered sitting with a lady at breakfast in the main dining room one day and she had her own teabags and just asked for hot water so she could brew her own! So no bother - problem solved! :D

It was a largely positive review. And remember it was by an American who was NOT comparing the Dream to a Morrisons Supermarket, but a chain of restaurants in the US.

The food in the main dining room was comparable to what you might find in a Morrison's cafeteria,Denny's etc.

The food was compared to a morrisons cafe hence my concern & i have never seen a Morrisons cafeteria in the US. Denny's yes, morrisons no. I was also concerned by the insinuation that British people are used to eating "like that".

I also think that the only positives were the ports, staff & cleanliness of the ship.

Yes - why not? Apart from the Liptons I think there was an alternative brand as well and some herbal teas, Earl Grey, English breakfast etc. Perhaps someone can remember exactly - I've really only got an impression of what was available. I always take some Nescafe Cappuccino satchets to make us a late night coffee. The hot water's there and no one is going to bother if you use your own tea bags - I wouldn't go thinking I might not enjoy a cuppa all holiday - just take some of your own to be sure! ;)

I was just about to post and remembered sitting with a lady at breakfast in the main dining room one day and she had her own teabags and just asked for hot water so she could brew her own! So no bother - problem solved! :D

Excellent, that's me sorted then haha. Hubby always wakes up before me & brings me a nice cup of tea so I'll get up. At least he won't be able to moan at me cos I've wasted it if it's Tetley :p

Well, he's never been on the Crown Princess then:rolleyes: Their coffee is disgusting :eek: Of course it may be to do with the coffee package they try to sell you as soon as you go aboard:D

On the Dream there are sachets of coffee, both regular and decaff plus an urn of coffee and lots of different teas. What more did he want?

The food was fine in all restaurants, although I do agree there should be an alternative menu of chicken, fish etc every evening. But the menu is displayed outside the Orion, so if you don't fancy any of it, there is always the Buffet.

Hi Kruzseeka, glad you enjoyed your cruise, not been on here much, as doing family tree and off tomorrow to Salou:)

Well, he's never been on the Crown Princess then:rolleyes: Their coffee is disgusting :eek: Of course it may be to do with the coffee package they try to sell you as soon as you go aboard:D

On the Dream there are sachets of coffee, both regular and decaff plus an urn of coffee and lots of different teas. What more did he want?

An American ship by the sounds of it :D:D:D

Have a great time in Salou

An American ship by the sounds of it :D:D:D

Have a great time in Salou

Yes it is an American ship. We were going round Britain, and we Brits were very much in the minority. Most of the Americans were very nice, but sooo loud:D

Got to catch the midnight coach to Gatwick, as we have an early flight:(

I know lots of people love Thomson ships but for me they are far too expensive considering the age and standard of the ships and the lack of facilities on board compared to other cruise lines. I have been on Thomson ships in the past and I've been impressed by the service provided by the staff but this alone is not enough to tempt me back onboard when Thomson are prepared to price their cruises as high if not higher than cruise lines with far superior ships.

Well, he's never been on the Crown Princess then. Their coffee is disgusting :eek: Of course it may be to do with the coffee package they try to sell you as soon as you go aboard:D

The food was fine in all restaurants, although I do agree there should be an alternative menu of chicken, fish etc every evening. But the menu is displayed outside the Orion, so if you don't fancy any of it, there is always the Buffet.

Hi Kruzseeka, glad you enjoyed your cruise, not been on here much, as doing family tree and off tomorrow to Salou:)

Thanks - yes we did enjoy our cruise - I'm not enamoured of the new ship (in comparison to the other Thomson ships - just the design) but the destinations were fab, food was excellent, service and hygiene first rate so that all made for a good cruise and we couldn't fault the efforts being made on board to provide a great experience.

Have a wonderful time Linda and I hope the weather is kind to you. :D At least you'll miss this 50-year storm event they're promising us. The sea looked wild enough today - goodness knows what we have in store. I'm just glad I'm not going off round the Bay of Biscay!!! :eek:

Look forward to hearing from you when you get back. :)

The americans for me are a different mindset to us which is shown by that review.Now I can pick huge holes in that review on a personal level having been on the Dream three times and booked up for a fourth next year,but you know what,I can`t be bothered.The only point I do agree with in that review is the machine coffee is awful.

The food in the main dining room was comparable to what you might find in a Morrison's cafeteria,Denny's etc.

The food was compared to a morrisons cafe hence my concern & i have never seen a Morrisons cafeteria in the US. Denny's yes, morrisons no. I was also concerned by the insinuation that British people are used to eating "like that".

I also think that the only positives were the ports, staff & cleanliness of the ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrison's_Cafeteria

The americans for me are a different mindset to us which is shown by that review.Now I can pick huge holes in that review on a personal level having been on the Dream three times and booked up for a fourth next year,but you know what,I can`t be bothered.The only point I do agree with in that review is the machine coffee is awful.

Jim.

You have talked me out of the coffee, I will need to go to the bar instead.

Billy.

We were on this same cruise, had seen the review previously and do agree with the reviewer's comments with regard to the food, the coffee (I am a coffee drinker), the lifts and lack of a little more information "from above" or in the daily cruise news. Having said all that, we also enjoyed the cruise very much although we didn't feel it came up to the standards of P&O which is obviously another cruiseline aimed at the British market. The price we paid was comparable to P&O prices for similar itineraries. Also, because we missed having a balcony for that same price, we wouldn't sail on a Thomson ship again BUT we did enjoy it for many other reasons and feel that anyone would be hard pressed not to enjoy sailing on Dream.

The OP, our Stevie, having put the cat amongst the pigeons on this one is now conspicuous by his absence! Naughty Stevie :eek::rolleyes:

Also, just out of interest, there are no less than five recent member reviews grading the Dream as 3 out of 5 stars. We can't all be wrong, just different expectations maybe and different requirements. Why pick on one of our friends from 'across the pond' :confused:

And on the Dream unlike The American line we just came back from you do not have to report to the purser to opt out of the tipping. That was terrible but would have added over a hundred pounds each to our spends. It was just a one week cruse.

Having had not the best of weeks I'm past caring now how bad/good the food is. The plus side is I won't be cooking & serving it so as I'm cruising in less than 3 weeks im going to make the absolute best of it :D:p:D:p

Having had not the best of weeks I'm past caring now how bad/good the food is. The plus side is I won't be cooking & serving it so as I'm cruising in less than 3 weeks im going to make the absolute best of it :D:p:D:p

In a nutshell Victoria.

As DC says,a holiday is what you make of it.

Archived