Review of dream by a.n.other from across the water

I know lots of people love Thomson ships but for me they are far too expensive considering the age and standard of the ships and the lack of facilities on board compared to other cruise lines. I have been on Thomson ships in the past and I've been impressed by the service provided by the staff but this alone is not enough to tempt me back onboard when Thomson are prepared to price their cruises as high if not higher than cruise lines with far superior ships.

100% behind you on this above and Jim yes the coffee is awful however all inc you can get a decent one from the bar alas after 10am! I fully understand what the American friend is saying, I believe they do have higher expectations ( just look at customer service) the problem is we dont complain just put up with it so thomsons don't do anything about it.

You are the customer ask for more! Thomsons charge more than most for it.:D

hi we have just returned from the dream,been on it before (as well as 8 trips on all the other thompson ships) this time we did find some difference (not all to the good -sorry)

we never saw the entainment crew around the ship as we usually do, was told because the were leaving at the weekend, and the new crew where rehersing - they dont announce anythink now because other passengers objected to the (bing bong) all the time, so unless you carry the news letter ariund with you - you dont know whats on -also we always buy a bottle of brandy/.whisky in duty free on board, but they dont now, started that at start of season, i wouldnt like to put anyone off, cos we have been with thompson for the last ten years, but they seem to be losing a bit of the (niceties) also first time i have seen a crew member coming around every day selling lottery tickets, and cigaretts !!! cabin and crew were ok, but a lot of them were finishing their 6months on sat, and could not wait to get off, still think the lido restaurant needs to be moved around a bit, the seating area is too near the food on one side, maybe when it goes in for refurbishment on 14th nov, they might do something, otherwise had a great time, until on way to palma airport, my sister wasa in a taxi (she counldnt get up steps on coach, and the taxi crashed into a car in front, she is now in hospital waiting for surgery on her leg, and will have to have skin grafts !!! just going in to see her, will keep you posted on her recovery, x

"on way to palma airport, my sister wasa in a taxi (she could not get up steps on coach, and the taxi crashed into a car in front, she is now in hospital waiting for surgery on her leg, and will have to have skin grafts !!! just going in to see her, will keep you posted on her recovery, x

What a horrible end to your holiday ! :eek:

I'm sure the members of this forum as well as myself ,wish your sister a very speedy recovery . Get well soon . :):):)

on way to palma airport, my sister was in a taxi (she counldnt get up steps on coach, and the taxi crashed into a car in front, she is now in hospital waiting for surgery on her leg, and will have to have skin grafts !!! just going in to see her, will keep you posted on her recovery, x

OMG how awful. Every best wish for a speedy recovery for your sister and you keep your chin up too supergrannyfran. :)

Totally agree with the review. Don't knock other people's opinions just because you don't agree. I am British, I am not weird but I cannot put my hand on my heart & say that I totally enjoyed my time on the Dream. The Dream is a mediocre ship at best, compared to some other cruise lines (I have cruised several) and reminded of a 3*AI Med hotel- but with better food. But this type of cruise fills a niche & very profitably for Thomson's too (this was the most expensive cruise we've ever been on & did not give value for money). It's just not to everyone's taste & they shouldn't be slated for it.

To be fair taking all cultural differences into the equation, i am surprised that our friend across the waters review was not more scathing, and take the 3 stars awarded as a huge positive. :)

The Thomson Product is a niche product focused on the UK cruise market and does not really cater for multi-cultural tastes in regard to dining and entertainment (nor does it really need to when others do, think RCl NCI, Princess etc etc). So hats of to them for trying something based on an award, where all the votes would have been from a UK market.

Yes this is the Yank that posted the Dream review.

I just read through the string of multiple replies and that certainly surpasses by far the number of reactions to my past CC posts.

I seemed to have hit a “nerve” which was partially my intention.

All in all we had a good overall Dream experience but again it was not exceptional and based on it, still believe that Dream is undeserving of its recent designation of Best Mid Size Cruise Ship.

My primary motivation for the review was to hopefully suggest to others that might be considering a future Dream cruise that they should do a little more research and due diligence upfront before they commit.

In the case of Dream ,having a good understanding of what they’re really going to get ( versus what the award suggests) may make the difference between having a good holiday and one that falls grossly short of their expectations. The Thomson Dream experience does not compare favorably to what I’ve experienced on other competitive mass market and premium cruise lines.

I must say that some of the comments back had me in stitches. The generalizations about Americans were most entertaining, thank you for them (we’re loud, want steak & lobster for dinner, need to be entertained 24/7).

To the many wonderful people we met and interacted with on board during the cruise, I hope your firsthand reactions to us were much different than these baseless characterizations.

I will tell my wife that no one took exception to her opinion of the coffee. That along with the lifts, lack of communication on the part of Thomson, the awful buffet and mediocre sit down food and yes the soot on the sun deck (mentioned by others but omitted in my original post, thank you for the pickup) are just some of the shortcomings of the Thomson Dream that potential future customers should be aware of.

Thanks Rich firstly from noticing the soot that many others seem to have missed, I did mention in my review that it was the Lido deck outside where soot kept floating down from the funnel, believe the ships engines need lots of 'REDEX' it was certainly noticable on our cruise. Enjoyed your comments they weren't too scathing, I believe the Thomson product is great just executed badly, as a fellow poster mentioned TUI have nicer ships for the German market if we get together we should be demanding that quality do the German's pay considerably more? if any one understands German perhaps they could go on their website and find out the prices? are we being ripped off? thanks again Rich from over the pond, us Brits are easily satisfied if we get free drink. :)

ps I reckon put coffee in the engines may descale them better than REDEX

Quick comparison of Tui v Thomson

Tui Cruise only 31 Aug 2012 1045 euro (roughly 843 gbp) inside cabin, western med cruise only.

Thomson (dream) 1 sept £648 inside cabin, western med cruise only.

Both are the entry level price

Think i am going to start another thread on this

OMG how awful. Every best wish for a speedy recovery for your sister and you keep your chin up too supergrannyfran. :)

thank you for all your good wishes, my sister is still in hospital, need to operate on her leg to release blood that has clotted, and will then need skin grafts, but cant do op until her blood thickens (too thin at moment) and to top it all she now has chest infection !! so will delay even longer, i cant go in to see her as i have also got chest infection, !!! we have taken a photo of her leg, you would have to see it to believe how nasty it is, her family are looking into her insurance to see what can be done, fingers crossed, !!!

Thanks Rich firstly from noticing the soot that many others seem to have missed, I did mention in my review that it was the Lido deck outside where soot kept floating down from the funnel, believe the ships engines need lots of 'REDEX' it was certainly noticable on our cruise. Enjoyed your comments they weren't too scathing, I believe the Thomson product is great just executed badly, as a fellow poster mentioned TUI have nicer ships for the German market if we get together we should be demanding that quality do the German's pay considerably more? if any one understands German perhaps they could go on their website and find out the prices? are we being ripped off? thanks again Rich from over the pond, us Brits are easily satisfied if we get free drink. :)

ps I reckon put coffee in the engines may descale them better than REDEX

---------------------------------------------------------------

so true very good comment on comments:D

Last year on the Dream also had a soot fall,but still enjoyed

shorts cleaned and pressed and back in cabin in 20 mins:)

.........why ? if the staff were not so helpful land entertainment v good then would change , but do not like leggo land at sea ships,in a word yes we are being ripped off but why have I been on 4 Thomson Cruises? Do not know the answer, but wiil think of that word soon it is.............. :rolleyes:

Stevie

We'd sailed on three Princess cruises before we went on a Thomsons ship.

Would have NO hesitation in recommending either line - but trying to compare them is misleading at best and insulting at worst.

I like a dram of highland malt - but I'm also partial to a drop of fine red wine as well........ if you get my drift.

BTW - I'd still like to know how the Grand Princess, operational home port Southampton, was an "American" ship though.

Built in Italy (or was it Japan ?), registered in Hamilton (Bermuda), flying the flag of the British Merchant Marine (aka Red Duster) and crewed by an international cast !!!

All charges were in US Dollars - that must have been the criteria ?

Is it just me that finds Americans wierd?? We have totally different views on EVERYTHING so it seems especially reading other threads by Americans.

Gotta love the yanks though. I'd move to the USA in a heartbeat given the chance!! :D

This review however has got me worried. We sail 3 weeks tomorrow & now I'm considering maybe changing ships if its really as bad as that review says :(

I am one of 'those Yanks' but unlike you I lived and worked in the UK for three decades before returning home. But let me echo your Greetings to her Majesty on Her Jubilee from this side of the Pond!

My family sailed the HAL Westerdam ten times in the 1990s. We absolutely loved it and viewed is as part of the family as our kids went from toddlers to teens.

But, by our last cruise in 2001, just before she transferred to Costa, we had to admit that the old girl was, just, old. Lovely crew, but old ship. That was eleven years ago.

Thomson seems to have a business plan that assumes British clients will love 'old' and 'dated', and still charge fees than are not lower than P&O and Royal Caribbean. To date they seem to fill the ships but the post cruise comments seem to be, well, grudging in their praise. I am reminded of the two old ladies in 'Fawlty Towers' who grumble but, when confronted by Basil, say all is lovely. If there was no alternative, I would accept this, but this is not Britain under rationing but a global market with alternatives available. Yes, it is a lovely ship in a dated way; yes, you can have a wonderful time; yes, people praise it; but there ARE alternatives that are more modern and more exciting. If it were a British ship of great historic connection, such as the QEII or Caronia, I could readily understand; but it is not. So, chose whatever you want, but remember that it is a 28 year old ship that has had four owners; it has seen better days. Still, I love our memories of it - but we could never return.

Is it just me that finds Americans wierd?? We have totally different views on EVERYTHING so it seems especially reading other threads by Americans.

Gotta love the yanks though. I'd move to the USA in a heartbeat given the chance!! :D

This review however has got me worried. We sail 3 weeks tomorrow & now I'm considering maybe changing ships if its really as bad as that review says :(

Yes we do differ to our American friends and we loved the Dream in the Caribbean a few years ago and are returning again this January coming. We are so looking forward to it, The Dream is not for everyone but at least give it a chance we did and will never look to another company unless we get a great online price?;)

Sorry but another Brit who agrees with the reviewer.

We sailed on her last October, and found her outdated, tired and drab.

The service was excellent while the entertainment was enthusiastic and very enjoyable. For me though, in all other respects the cruise product did not compare favourably with any of the other cruise companies I have sailed with.

I will not be booking T again.

• 2 months later...
Yes - why not? Apart from the Liptons I think there was an alternative brand as well and some herbal teas, Earl Grey, English breakfast etc. Perhaps someone can remember exactly - I've really only got an impression of what was available. I always take some Nescafe Cappuccino satchets to make us a late night coffee. The hot water's there and no one is going to bother if you use your own tea bags - I wouldn't go thinking I might not enjoy a cuppa all holiday - just take some of your own to be sure! ;)

I was just about to post and remembered sitting with a lady at breakfast in the main dining room one day and she had her own teabags and just asked for hot water so she could brew her own! So no bother - problem solved! :D

The only thing we found that to make a good HOT cup of tea and to make it brew you need boiling water so it isn't hot enough, being from Yorkshire we are funny about out tea so I went without at breakfast, plenty of coffee to be had and it's no big deal.

Archived