Brilliance OTS, 2 June 2012 Trip Report - the Norway, no, Denmark, no, Norway Cruise

I woke just before 6 am, with a strange sensation - movement. We should have been docked at Amsterdam by now, but a glance at the TV confirmed we were still heading down the canal from the IJmuiden locks. The Captain announced a short while later that a technical fault with the lock had delayed our passage and we would not be docking until about 8 am. All departure times were revised to one hour later than originally planned.

In the event, we arrived at the PTA at about 7.35 am, after a total journey of 1703 nautical miles. Amsterdam welcomed us "home" with dark grey clouds and clearing rain. After a leisurely breakfast in the Windjammer and a last turn round the wet upper decks, I collected my hand baggage from my cabin, and said goodbye to Joe, who was now busy preparing cabins for the next guests. The waiting area for Platinum and above C&A members was in the Hollywood Lounge, where drinks and pastries were available. From our lofty vantage point we watched the early disembarkers leave the ship (the first call came for those with ship's excursions just before 8 am). The various excursion and transfer buses were parked on the dock, between the ship and the terminal, not on the busy public road outside.

P1010299.jpg

Most numbers were called by 9.30 am, but I was in no hurry and eventually left the ship at 10 am. After leaving the ship by the covered gangway on deck 4 there were no immigration or security formalities and we found ourselves in the same hall as on departure. Luggage was laid out in a large area on the ground floor of the PTA and a final show of the Sea Pass card was required to enter this area. Outside there appeared to be plenty of taxis available, but I walked back to the Centraal station and took the metro to my hotel in South Amsterdam, where I was staying the next three nights for a conference.

In the afternoon I headed back to the water front to see Brilliance sail away with her next load of lucky passengers, pretty much on schedule.

Brilliance pulls away from the PTA

P1010303.jpg

And slowly navigates her way through busy waters

P1010305.jpg

I hope they had as much fun as we did on their adventure in the Norwegian fjords

P1010312.jpg

And I hope my review will be useful to future travellers heading that way and maybe inspire some folk to add this fantastic trip to their "must do" list. This is the end of my cruise narrative, but I will post some overall impressions of the ship tomorrow and, of course, answer any more questions.

For now, though, thank you for sharing my story. And thank you, Brilliance of the Seas and your crew.

David

P1010313.jpg

Thank you SO MUCH for an excellant review & the BEAUTIFUL pictures. I'm now really convinced that it's the cruise I must go on at some point (will have to convince my DH of course). I do have one favor to ask, could you please list the itinerary for me of this cruise. (not sure if I missed it at the beginning of your post:confused:).

Also, what part of the "Cotswold's" are you from? We spent 3 days there a few years ago & loved it. We have a cousin in York that we were going to see but went via the Cotswold's first. Hope to get back there some day. :)

Thanks again for the review, you did a great job. Have fun on your next cruise. :D

Thank you SO MUCH for an excellant review & the BEAUTIFUL pictures. I'm now really convinced that it's the cruise I must go on at some point (will have to convince my DH of course). I do have one favor to ask, could you please list the itinerary for me of this cruise. (not sure if I missed it at the beginning of your post:confused:).

Also, what part of the "Cotswold's" are you from? We spent 3 days there a few years ago & loved it. We have a cousin in York that we were going to see but went via the Cotswold's first. Hope to get back there some day. :)

Thanks again for the review, you did a great job. Have fun on your next cruise. :D

Hi, glad you enjoyed my review. You are right, I didn't list the itinerary and by the time I realised it was too late to add it near the start!

We were on a 7-night Norwegian Fjord Cruise from Amsterdam. But not all 7-night Norwegian Fjord Cruises from Amsterdam follow this itinerary - I know some have been to Flåm (see ojeepost's review - http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1641412) and maybe other ports as well, and certainly the order can change. This was ours:

Amsterdam

At Sea

Geiranger

Ålesund

Molde

Bergen

At Sea

Amsterdam

As for me, I live in a small village in the North Cotswolds, but off the major tourist trail, in the Broadway/Chipping Camden area, you'll forgive me for not being too specific. I'm originally a Yorkshireman, but spent my working life in central London, until a few years ago when I started working from home here in the beautiful Cotswolds :)

Hi, glad you enjoyed my review. You are right, I didn't list the itinerary and by the time I realised it was too late to add it near the start!

We were on a 7-night Norwegian Fjord Cruise from Amsterdam. But not all 7-night Norwegian Fjord Cruises from Amsterdam follow this itinerary - I know some have been to Flåm (see ojeepost's review - http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1641412) and maybe other ports as well, and certainly the order can change. This was ours:

Amsterdam

At Sea

Geiranger

Ålesund

Molde

Bergen

At Sea

Amsterdam

As for me, I live in a small village in the North Cotswolds, but off the major tourist trail, in the Broadway/Chipping Camden area, you'll forgive me for not being too specific. I'm originally a Yorkshireman, but spent my working life in central London, until a few years ago when I started working from home here in the beautiful Cotswolds :)

Thank you so much for the info. I think we were in the Chipping Camden area on our trip. We also LOVED York. Our cousin is an Irishman from Donegal, but has lived in & around York for years. Hoping to get back over "the pond" next year. Thanks again for the review & the itinerary.

David,

I loved your review! This cruise has been on our bucket list for a couple of years... I think I'm going to have to move it up in priority after reading your posts & seeing the pictures. It's absolutely beautiful.

PS

Little Miss Magic don't have anything on you. Your "sites" where much more appealing than bikinis to me :-)

Thanks again for a great review!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but thank you. Very gratifying to have over 3,700 views and lots of lovely comments :)

Although I notice that LittleMissMagic has over 26,000 views for her current review of a 4-nighter on Monarch. Seriously, a 4-nighter on Monarch?!! I did glance at her review and, to be fair, she does have SIGNIFICANTLY more pictures of young women in bikinis than I do, though.... :D

I wasn't being hateful towards LMM... Just letting OP know that people enjoy reviews with landscape & historical significance also... That's why I included smiley face at the end of the sentence.

I have read and very much enjoyed her reviews as well. She is a beautiful girl with a beautiful family & I'm sorry if either she or you were offended by something that was a response to a statement the OP made.

Sorry David if I caused a problem... It's hard for people to know how to take a post when they cant see your expressions or hear the laughter or tone in your voice or see the wink of an eye.

I guess that's why I mostly read & don't comment for fear of upsetting someone.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by ace1zoe2

David, for me, this has been the thread of the year.

That was the cruise I wanted to do this year, to the extent that I did post in the Roll Call, and for months, my signature bore the legend "Hopefully Brilliance OTC to Norway, but not confident enough for a countdown clock".

Unfortunately, economic realities kicked in, and much as we tried, we couldn't get two and two to make six, so a vicarious cruise through the eyes of another was the only option left.

And what a vicarious cruise it was. The photographs were excellent, the prose was erudite and engaging, and the perspectives offered were constructive and educational.

Congratulations on a superb review, and enjoy Explorer in December. We will be on the water again in a year or two, and Norway is first on the list.

David, for me, this has been the thread of the year.

That was the cruise I wanted to do this year, to the extent that I did post in the Roll Call, and for months, my signature bore the legend "Hopefully Brilliance OTC to Norway, but not confident enough for a countdown clock".

Unfortunately, economic realities kicked in, and much as we tried, we couldn't get two and two to make six, so a vicarious cruise through the eyes of another was the only option left.

And what a vicarious cruise it was. The photographs were excellent, the prose was erudite and engaging, and the perspectives offered were constructive and educational.

Congratulations on a superb review, and enjoy Explorer in December. We will be on the water again in a year or two, and Norway is first on the list.

Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with the review, I just noticed that you are from Donegal and was wondering where in Donegal?? My DH Mum is from Carrigart, and we have LOADS of cousins all around that area, Letterkenny, Ramelton, etc. Hope to get back over next year to visit, it's been 4 yrs. since we've been and I miss it so much. Donegal is my favorite place in the world! :D

Sorry David if I caused a problem... It's hard for people to know how to take a post when they cant see your expressions or hear the laughter or tone in your voice or see the wink of an eye.

Didn't concern me at all - perhaps the other poster missed my little quips about LMM's review along the way :)

You're right, her reviews are great from a different perspective.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

I remember that, what a shame. I very much enjoyed spending some time with your country folk on board.

The fjords will still be there when circumstances improve for you - enjoy that cruise :)

I have had some nice comments about my pictures, so for the record here's the kit I was using:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20 compact - great little camera with a 16x optical zoom, but I find it difficult in low light conditions, and hate it not having a viewfinder (same as almost all compacts these days).

Canon 450D DLSR body with Canon 18-55mm EFS and Tamron 70-300mm lenses. I also played with a cheap unbranded wide angle attachment for the front of the 18-55mm, bought specially for this cruise, which gave just a little bit more angle.

All the photos posted are as they came off the camera, no post-production. To be honest, with the scenery on this cruise, it's hard not to get some great shots :)

Hi David, this may be a stupid question but how do you upload the images to the site so that they all display instantly in your posts?

Thanks yet again for such a wonderful review, hardly need to go on our cruise now, joking of course, we can't wait till 13 th July.:)

Hi David, this may be a stupid question but how do you upload the images to the site so that they all display instantly in your posts?

Thanks yet again for such a wonderful review, hardly need to go on our cruise now, joking of course, we can't wait till 13 th July.:)

Not a stupid question, but easy when you know how. The secret is NOT to upload them to Cruise Critic, but to use a photo hosting service (I use Photobucket). Once uploaded there you can copy something called the IMG code and paste it into a posting here - your photo will appear. Or you can just right click the photo, and copy and paste over, but you can get the IMG code when looking at an album of thumbnails and still post the full size picture, which is why I tend to use that method.

There is a test forum on the site at http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=225 where you can play around to make sure you have it right and also a 'Posting pictures 101 thread' somewhere. I post mine a little smaller than some, by uploading at 640x480 (specifically for this purpose). I think it gives a nice balance between size of picture and fitting it into a narrative, but you do lose some quality and detail.

Cruise Critic limits you to 6 pictures per post (and smilies count too).

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Thank you, Cindy. I took a 3 hour ship's excursion, called Geiranger Fjord Panorama (GG04). I just looked it up and we did it in the opposite order to the description and, as I mentioned, only got as far as Lake Djupvatn (which is where these photos are taken), not Mount Dalsnibba. Later in the season you should get to the summit, which I am sure will be even better!

Have a great cruise.

David

Thanks for the tip, David, but sadly enough that excursion in not offered on our September cruise (probably after season). Found fascinating Geiranger, which seems to offer Lake Djupvatn and the summit of Mount Dalsnibba. Seems to be the perfect excursion for us. Didn't know which one to take, but thanks to your awesome pics I do.

The weather got me wondering how the sea will be... Don't want to forget my seasick meds :D

Cindy

Thanks for the tip, David, but sadly enough that excursion in not offered on our September cruise (probably after season). Found fascinating Geiranger, which seems to offer Lake Djupvatn and the summit of Mount Dalsnibba. Seems to be the perfect excursion for us. Didn't know which one to take, but thanks to your awesome pics I do.

The weather got me wondering how the sea will be... Don't want to forget my seasick meds :D

Cindy

OK, that looks like a very similar tour, but without the Eagles Bend viewpoint (which is the first one in my review). Maybe you'll be able to get the HOHO up there anyway, if timings work :)

One more question:o there is discussion on other threads on the availability of "beer bags" (containers) on some RCI ships did you notice if they sell them on the Brilliance?

Hmmn, not sure. Not a beer drinker on the ships. I remember some discussion over dinner one night that only certain beers were included in some offer, but don't know if it was a 'beer bag'. I'll have a check on my Compasses in case it's mentioned. Of course, apart from sail away from Bergen (and the solarium) this wasn't really a 'sit by the pool and drink beer cruise' :)

Thanks again, David, for such an in depth review, you helped me decide on our trip in Geiranger, I have booked Geiranger Fjord Panorama (GG04) as well. I am hoping that the weather will be fairer for us in July, if it is I shall try posting any decent photos I might be lucky enough to capture, I actually feel privileged to be going on this cruise & really can't wait for Tuesday. :)

• 2 weeks later...

ps I believe you can buy funicular tickets at the Tourist Information Office, but I can't see that you can do it online.

Thank you for such a great review. I wonder if there is any advantages in term of quicker to board the train if we bought the tickets a the Tourist Information Office?

Also does anyone know the link which I can find out how many ships will be docking at the visiting ports before hand? I have seen it posted before but could not recall it.

Many thanks in advance.