Why rent a car in Skagway?

lucywestie

There is an ongoing thread regarding Canadians now being able to rent cars in Skagway and then being able to drive them across the border into the Yukon [as of June 1st the law was changed].

I remember reading bits and pieces over the years about people driving up to the Yukon but why?, what is there to see?.

Our last trip to Skagway we did the White Pass Railway and I rode the outside footplate pretty much all the way up and all the way back. Scenery was great but is it fair to assume that driving yourself you get better viewing points/vistas, more chances of seeing wildlife etc.

Many thanks

Pete

Cost sia huge factor of you have a group. The cost of teh car rental is about tehs ame as teh cost of one train ticket so for a group of four that is a big dollar savings. Scenery is a bit different and you can head as far away from Skagway as you want. The big draw is taht you can stop anywhere you want to and stay as long as you want. The flexibility is a big attraction for me.

The train is a worthwhile trip, I've done it several times. I've done the trip by car or bus way more. On my recent trip I rented a car in Haines and drove up the highway, I thought the drive out of Skagway was much better ( of course I didn't have great weather which may have "clouded" my judgmentt lol)

There is an ongoing thread regarding Canadians now being able to rent cars in Skagway and then being able to drive them across the border into the Yukon [as of June 1st the law was changed].

I remember reading bits and pieces over the years about people driving up to the Yukon but why?, what is there to see?.

Our last trip to Skagway we did the White Pass Railway and I rode the outside footplate pretty much all the way up and all the way back. Scenery was great but is it fair to assume that driving yourself you get better viewing points/vistas, more chances of seeing wildlife etc.

Many thanks

Pete

I would say the cost. I went with 5 ppl so I have saved significant amount of money. Also I get to stop anytime anywhere. Having 4 yr son is another reason for me to rent a car. I did not have to bother other people.

Of course, you will NOT have an excellent local tour guide but you cannot get everything so…..

In the morning, I did the Whitepass and in the afternoon, I have rented the car. I saw more wildlife by driving too.

If you have more than 4 ppl, I would recommend renting a car. This is just my suggestion.

I would say the cost. I went with 5 ppl so I have saved significant amount of money. Also I get to stop anytime anywhere. Having 4 yr son is another reason for me to rent a car. I did not have to bother other people.

Of course, you will NOT have an excellent local tour guide but you cannot get everything so….......

I agree with almost everything you said about the advantages of renting a car in Skagway, even when traveling without children:

save money, have the freedom to leave and return whenever you want and stop along the way when and where you choose for as long as you like.

But as for the tour guide, if you print out and bring along Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway, you will have your own excellent local tour guide right there in the car with you.

Murray describes everything to see along the way in detail and in order, mile by mile, so you don't miss a thing.

Afterwards you still have your tour guide as a souvenir to take home for reference. It can be handy when you are sorting through your photos later and the "where was this one taken?" type questions come up.

Just google "murray's guide" to find it.

Also see his links to additional resources down at the bottom of the page.

I second the recommendation for Murray's guide. It was a great help when we rented a car a couple of years ago. I enjoyed stopping at some of the places that we would have otherwise passed by.

Archived