Buffet Line Cutting

parrothead74

OK, I'm off topic, forgive me for being a chronic rule-breaker, but SILENT PENGUIN? Where on Earth did you ever come up with such a cool name?

Thanks! I am the world's most non-creative thinker, so you're not going to be too impressed when I explain where it came from. An organization I belong to had a trivia competition in which the team to get the host's attention first got the first shot at answering the host's trivia question. Each team was given a noise-making devise of some sort for this purpose. Our team had a toy penguin that was supposed to make noise, but it didn't. I named our team the Silent Penguins. That is why I am a Silent Penguin.

I have no problem with passing someone at a counter serving food that I don't want, or with someone passing me to get to the next counter, nor do I mind if someone 'pops' into the queue to pick up one item, and then 'pops' out again. What really drives me mad though is when I have waited for ages in a 'cook to order' queue, and the person in front either orders 6 items, for their entire party, or lets several others into the queue ahead of me.

This is exactly how I feel! I was at the omelette station and there was a guy who just kept ordering. As they were working on one thing for him, another person in his party would come up and tell him what they wanted. Finally, the lady in front of me said,"Are you serious? Don't you see this line?" he didn't answer but he also didn't order anymore omelettes!

In my opinion, this is cutting in line. I always figure if I can stand in line and wait for my 4 items (very picky eater here) than so can everyone else. If you have a tray that is already filled and I can see you've forgotten something (butter, milk, ketchup, etc) I haven't any problem in letting you get that item. But as another person said, there are professional "just one thing" .

so, if this guy asked you if he could just reach in and grab some bacon, would you tell him no? Just curious.:)

I don't eat salad; I don't like salad. If I am with someone who does, I wait with them. What no one seems to point out is that we are not just talking about passing one person getting salad, almost EVERYONE in line is waiting to get some kind of salad (which is annoying for someone who doesn't want any). So, as previously mentioned, if there is a space and I know I won't hold anyone up, I skip ahead to the hot food. I WILL NOT, though, ask to cut in-between 2 people. I usually scan the buffet first to see what they have and then judge by the line.

Before I do this, I always ask the person in line if they care to let me slip in to get the item I need. Usually they don't care at all. I show them courtesy, by asking and get what I need quick. There are painful lessons to be learned when you come between a human, armed with cutlery, and food. :eek:

What do you do if they say "NO"?

I don't eat salad; I don't like salad. If I am with someone who does, I wait with them. What no one seems to point out is that we are not just talking about passing one person getting salad, almost EVERYONE in line is waiting to get some kind of salad (which is annoying for someone who doesn't want any). So, as previously mentioned, if there is a space and I know I won't hold anyone up, I skip ahead to the hot food. I WILL NOT, though, ask to cut in-between 2 people. I usually scan the buffet first to see what they have and then judge by the line.

You should eat salad - we Charlotteans don't eat enough salad..... ;)

exactly. I think once you're at the start of the buffet and have your plate, you should be able to jump and skip over people that are dishing up food you don't want. I consider it expediting the system and the people waiting in line for their plates should thank me :)

Exactly, and that is really the point of a buffet. A buffet is meant to be take what you want, take a look, move on, etc. It's not a prison chow line. ;)

Moving from one station to the next, politely, and with respect to those around you, is not only perfectly acceptable, it's the correct thing to do.

Line poppers and line bypassers don't bother me a bit. It only makes teh line move faster. A please and thank you is always nice but not expected. What bothers me at the Buffet is when you have the line parkers.

Line Parkers = People who group up in front of the hot food and as they pill the food on their plates thy eat and stay parked in front of the food to refill or try everything before they fill up. these people drive me crazy. As on one of my last cruise a group of four people two girls and two guys parked in front of all the hot main course foods during lunch and stood there it felt like 20 minutes passing food back and forth and eating as they went. No matter what anyone around them said they just continued and acted like they did not hear them. Parkers drive me crazy.

I have no problem with passing someone at a counter serving food that I don't want, or with someone passing me to get to the next counter, nor do I mind if someone 'pops' into the queue to pick up one item, and then 'pops' out again. What really drives me mad though is when I have waited for ages in a 'cook to order' queue, and the person in front either orders 6 items, for their entire party, or lets several others into the queue ahead of me.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1017622&highlight=omelette+hogs

This says everything there is to say about omelette hogs!:D

Archived