requesting help from insurance people

kroberst

I just deposited for January 2014. Not sure what amount I should use for securing my trip insurance at this point. Do I estimate what it might be? Only put in a small amount now just to cover the deposits and upgrade later once it's paid for?

I'm not sure how this works - I want to make sure I have the insurance coverage and while don't need the "pre-existing" condition at this time, 18 months is a long time away and you just never know so am trying to get it within the 2 weeks of paying the initial deposit.

Thank you in advance for your insight and suggestions.

K

Get a policy now for what you've paid for -- do it now. Then, as you add elements to your cruise (e.g., air, excursions, final payment, hotels, etc.), call the insurance carrier, tell them the added amount total(s), and they will bill you for the incremental increase(s). This way you will be covered for everything, but not paying your full premium until much closer to your sailing date.

Get a policy now for what you've paid for -- do it now. Then, as you add elements to your cruise (e.g., air, excursions, final payment, hotels, etc.), call the insurance carrier, tell them the added amount total(s), and they will bill you for the incremental increase(s). This way you will be covered for everything, but not paying your full premium until much closer to your sailing date.

Agree.

I have taken out insurance for most of my 25+ cruises. But until the cruise I have booked for next February, I did not even know this was an option.

When I talked with the rep at the insurance company, I told him I did not know the "end" price of the cruise as I was vacillating between flying and training to Florida. And, because of the time before the cruise, I could not book either when I booked the cruise. Because of medical conditions, I must buy the insurance early on so as to take advantage of the "pre-existing conditions". The agent told me no problem just to insure what I had paid on, i.e., the $900 dollar deposit.

When I booked the train, I called the insurance carrier back, gave him the total price of the cruise and AMTRAK fare, paid the premium and I received an updated policy a few days later.

All correct. You simply insure what you have paid now. Just be careful that as you make additional payments, you notify your insurance company and submit the additional premium. I don't know what company you are insuring with, but with any policy I've purchased through Travelguard, if you don't insure these additional monies when paid, you will lose your pre-existing coverage.

Archived