Solo cruiser and emergencies

april47

It has occurred to me that in the case of an emergency or illness that special precautions should be made by solo cruisers. What if you had a heart attack or accident where you were unable to give any information about yourself and you were in another country and far from home and no one knew you.

I'm planning on putting all my info including phone numbers for my daughters, my insurance and doctors, my meds etc together and make a few copies.Also copies of my passport and DL. One set on my person and one folded in with my real passport in the safe. I also will give my daughter a copy of my itinerary with phone numbers of the cruise line. I will also check in with her every few days by e-mail. What else , if anything do you other solo travelers do?

I always email an itinerary to my immediate family. I don't necessarily go to the trouble of listing phone numbers, but it provides enough information that I could be tracked down if necessary.

I carry an emergency contact card in my wallet. And as suggested by first responder types, I have an ICE entry ("in case of emergency") in my cellphone that calls a family member.

I also have a small card in my wallet with family's names and numbers......I had it laminated, so it doesn't fall apart due to wear and tear. I leave a copy of my passport and drivers' license numbers with family back home. I usually also have a small laminated card prepared with the consulate and/or embassy locations and phone numbers for the foreign countries I'm visiting. I also check what the emergency phone number is in each country I'm at, in case I need to call (911 in North America, 999 in England, etc).

(I print up an 8x11 sheet with the numbers I want, then get the whole thing laminated for a buck at Staples. Then I just cut it into the individual small cards for my wallet.)

My first solo cruise will hopefully be in October. Good idea.

One thing I've done the past few cruises is put an information sheet in all my checked baggage in case it goes walkabout and doesn't get to where I'm going.

It has my name, contact number. emergency home contact person and number. Date and where I'll be staying pre and post cruise if applicable. Ship and cruise line name and their emergency contact number, and all ports and dates. It goes both inside and in an outside pocket.

Figure it's put on the wrong plane, maybe someone with the airline can figure out where to send it to catch up with me.

Archived