Denali/Talkeetna/Anchorage timing & excursion questions

azguy

Hello,

Thanks to all who have helped us with info. We're struggling with some final timeline stuff and thought we would ask for advice. We leave for our pre-cruise touring on June 4th, right around the corner.

We budgeted an entire day to drive from Anchorage (arriving the night before) to Denali. OUr plan is to take our time, check out the Veterans Memorial along the way, basically just get in vacation mode and un-wind. ANy other suggestions?

Next day, we go into Denali using the shuttle bus to Fish Creek. I understand this is pretty much all day. Rest of the day we have left open. We are staying both nights at Touch of Wildnerness B&B. Any evening suggestions?

On the next day, I have a 3:00pm flightseeing tour that leaves out of Talkeetna. We are spending the night in Talkeetna and driving back to Anchorage the next day.

Question: Are there other things/sites/spots we should try to see in the Healy/Denali area before heading to Talkeetna or should we try to make our way back to Talkeetna and see stuff in that area?

When we get up after spending the night in Talkeetna, we're also trying to figure out if there is more to see in that area or if we should make our way back to Talkeetna.

We really haven't nailed down what we want to do in Talkeetna other than the flightseeing tour (which my wife can't go on b/c she is pregnant).

We also haven't seen that many recommendations on stuff in Anchorage. Some people say rent a car and see stuff around Anchorage but I don't see many specifics. We ordered the Anchorage visitors book and we're still deciding.

Thanks.

Do you have THE MILEPOST, if not a copy is NECESSARY- get a copy. This will answer a lot of your questions as it lists every roadside site along the way. The Vet's Memorial is at most a 20 min. stop. Plenty of other scenic pull offs as well.

Allow at least 3 1/2 hours drive Healy/Talkeetna. I would plan a meal stop in Cantwell- I like the Lazy J, or plan on Talkeetna with the Roadhouse my top lunch stop. There is very very little else in between. Most likely your first day in Talkeetna will be enough, I would plan a morning departure. Back toward Anchorage- this is a heavy touring area- consider Sled dog museum in Wasilla- 30 min.s is plenty, Hatcher Pass is a very scenic drive and highly recommended by me. Enter from the Palmer side since most rental cars have restrictions on unpaved driving. Look at a Elkutna Spirt house tour- again if of interest, nothing else like it elsewhere. Eagle River Nature center is worth a stop. Read through your Anchorage visitor guide- just plenty to consider.

Your Touch of Wilderness B&B is my top pick and I've stayed there plenty of times with consistant raves. Tell Barb, Budget Queen says hello. :)

We are staying an extra 2 nights after the cruise. I want to go to the Heritage Village place in Anchorage and then we are thinking of Talkeetna. What would be the best way of getting there? Could we do it in one day or should we stay over? Our flight leaves at 2:15pm.... or should we just spend all our time in Anchorage?? Please help... I have sent away for Anchorage Travel Guide....

With 2 extra nights, and I'll assume 2 1/2 days, I would consider a stay in Talkeetna just for the nice drive and different atmosphere. :) I would head up to Talkeetna the day of arrival after your cruise, then a 2 hour drive, the next day head back to Anchorage with plenty of stops along the way, consider Hatcher Pass. Then pm a look at Anchorage as well as the next morning. You need a rental car. I would then head back to the airport by noon.

Archived