Upper Bunk in Room for 4 on Veendam?

andyandsue

Hi everyone.

I searched for forum and didn't really see the answer I am looking for.

Can anyone answer if the upper bunk for the 4th person on the Veendam, in an outside cabin with a picture window on the main deck (#672 to be exact), will be over the main sleeping area or over the couch?

Same here! Sorry, too. Probably the same goes for the others who've viewed your thread.

We've had the 4th bunk on the Amsterdam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Zaandam (category E), and in each case it has been over the sleeping area (far right or left corner of the room as you walk in to the cabin).

Hi everyone.

Can anyone answer if the upper bunk for the 4th person on the Veendam, in an outside cabin with a picture window on the main deck (#672 to be exact), will be over the main sleeping area or over the couch?

Should be the same as Statendam's E 696 of which I have one photo of it with the bunk in the down position over one of the beds (separated as twins) :

E 696 Large Ocean View Stateroom Deck 5 Main Deck http://abqreunion2008.com/Statendam/E-696_trvlcrzy_2008.jpg

Wish I could help more but...

Joanie

if no one answers find a couple of different room numbers and then google them along with the name of the ship and look for pictures. That is what I always do and usually come up with some pics

I tried that already, hence the post! :)

Whether the main bed is split into twins or not, I would think the upper bunk would have to be in the same place.

That is what I thought, but I had read (but couldn't find photos) that some had it over the main beds and some over the couch depending on the ship and the type of room. I guess it will be a surprise and I can post it when we return!

Should be the same as Statendam's E 696 of which I have one photo of it with the bunk in the down position over one of the beds (separated as twins) :

E 696 Large Ocean View Stateroom Deck 5 Main Deck http://abqreunion2008.com/Statendam/E-696_trvlcrzy_2008.jpg

Wish I could help more but...

Joanie

I can't see the photo? I don't have permission it says... Darn!

Four people in an outside cabin is too painful to contemplate even without a picture. :eek:

Sorry, I know this is an unhelpful post but that was the first thing that popped into my mind. :D

One thing I can add is that I remember reading a post once where the writer complained about always bumping her head on the low hanging pull down berth over the bed on one of the HAL ships.

I'm not an expert on the classes of ships but we were in an inside on the Volendam with 4 (2 kids 7 and 10 at the time) and one bunk was over the sleeping area and one was the sofa. Next time we will have the beds made into singles instead of the queen and then the bunk would make bunk beds and more room to move in the cabin.

That said, for our family of 4 we had plenty of room and it was not an issue. But as Sapper1 indicated, it is all personal preference. I would not want to do 4 adults in a cabin unless you are all very close.

The beds that come over the head of the queen bed are the large J cabins on the ships like Zuiderdam and Oosterdam. Those cabins are insides and have a real single sofa bed (folds out from the L-shaped sofa) and the upper bunk comes down perpendicular over the pillows of the queen bed. Many people have suggested that you ask for the head of the bed to be switched to where your feet would normall be. Others have pointed out then you won't get the reading lights. Either way, I don't think this cabin design applies to ocean view. But I could be very wrong.

If you go to IRL Joanie's site and search on Volendam, main deck, cabin L2664 you can see a photo of the cabin we had (excuse the mess, they had just brought our luggage in) with all the sleeping arrangements showing. We pushed the little table under the desk and had enough room for everyone and everything for 4 people, including formal attire and we had been away for a week prior to bording.

Have a wonderful trip.

I can't see the photo? I don't have permission it says... Darn!

Did the same to me when I clicked on the link I gave. I think I had coding wrong or something. I just reuploaded it to the page and hopefully it now works.

You can see the smaller sized here and then click on the photo to enlarge it (it is the very last photos , the same one catl331 Posted): http://abqreunion2008.com/Statendam/Deck-5.html

I apologize to everyone for any problems you might have, with having to switch servers/hosts, sometimes a tiny glitch might happen. IF you find a problem, let me know ASAP so I can fix it!!

Joanie

That worked. Thanks!

I guess that is still better than the bed configuration on the NCL Gem. There was the upper bunk, but it was right over the bottom, which was basically contained 3 beds all put together as one big bed. That wasn't fun at all really, although the kids liked it.

Four people in an outside cabin is too painful to contemplate even without a picture. :eek:

Sorry, I know this is an unhelpful post but that was the first thing that popped into my mind. :D

One thing I can add is that I remember reading a post once where the writer complained about always bumping her head on the low hanging pull down berth over the bed on one of the HAL ships.

I admit, it's not easy, but it is do-able if you love each other! One year, my dear mother, sister, my daughter and I all shared an inside cabin on a Royal Caribbean ship. It was a challenge, but we made it work, and work it did! What fun we had on that cruise - lots and lots of laughter and love!

I must start out by saying that we have always cruised as a foursome in a quad cabin with our two sons. When they were younger, it was out of necessity because of their ages, now it is because we honestly enjoy each others' company (They are now 17 and 18). We travel often (usually 6 times a year), rarely get a cabin bigger than an outside, and have always been in a quad. We are due to sail on the Maasdam on July 14 for the Voyage of the Vikings. For us, the only way we can afford this particular cruise is to be in a quad with the kids' rates being only $999 to offset our crazy expensive rate (IMHO).

I know it is not for everyone, but I think I would rather travel in a quad and travel often. I am sorry that some people consider it to be "tres awful," but I am quite happy with the room and the arrangement. Of course, if I won the Powerball, I would get two rooms!

wwb

I must start out by saying that we have always cruised as a foursome in a quad cabin with our two sons. When they were younger, it was out of necessity because of their ages, now it is because we honestly enjoy each others' company (They are now 17 and 18). We travel often (usually 6 times a year), rarely get a cabin bigger than an outside, and have always been in a quad. We are due to sail on the Maasdam on July 14 for the Voyage of the Vikings. For us, the only way we can afford this particular cruise is to be in a quad with the kids' rates being only $999 to offset our crazy expensive rate (IMHO).

I know it is not for everyone, but I think I would rather travel in a quad and travel often. I am sorry that some people consider it to be "tres awful," but I am quite happy with the room and the arrangement. Of course, if I won the Powerball, I would get two rooms!

wwb

For us as well we don't mind the close quarters with our own children. I didn't love the one big bed on NCL though becuase there wasn't a sofa in the room, so we basically had no place to sit except at the end of the huge bed and it literally left no room space to move around. Vacations are a huge expense and I'd rather have a quad on a cruise to Bermuda than a week at the Jersey Shore. Not that I don't love the shore (it's NOTHING like the God awful reality show) but we've been there so many times and driving 90 minutes to vacation isn't that much of a vacation really.

Hi everyone.

We just returned from the Veendam today ... family of 4 (boys 14 & 9) ... in oceanview cabin # 694 ... down the hall from # 672 ... and it was fine for us.

The bunk is half-way down the wall ... on the same side as the sleep sofa ... and above one of the twin beds. However, DH and I wanted the 2 twins pushed together ... and the cabin steward said it had to be put into the center below the picture window ... with a nightstand on either side.

Sleeping below 1/2 the bunk above me ... it was kinda awkward ... esp. with getting in-out of the bed ... by ducking and going under the bunk :rolleyes: So most of the time ... I just crawled in from the foot of the bed ... no problem :p

Looking back now ... it probably would have made more sense to just keep the twin beds separate ... but DH insisted ;)

Enjoy your time on the Veendam ... we surely did :)

We just returned from the Veendam today ... family of 4 (boys 14 & 9) ... in oceanview cabin # 694 ... down the hall from # 672 ... and it was fine for us.

The bunk is half-way down the wall ... on the same side as the sleep sofa ... and above one of the twin beds. However, DH and I wanted the 2 twins pushed together ... and the cabin steward said it had to be put into the center below the picture window ... with a nightstand on either side.

Sleeping below 1/2 the bunk above me ... it was kinda awkward ... esp. with getting in-out of the bed ... by ducking and going under the bunk :rolleyes: So most of the time ... I just crawled in from the foot of the bed ... no problem :p

Looking back now ... it probably would have made more sense to just keep the twin beds separate ... but DH insisted ;)

Enjoy your time on the Veendam ... we surely did :)

Not sure if we are going to put the beds together or not. It sounds like we'll have more room if we keep them as twins but I don't want to do that either. Did they leave the bunk down during the day or put it up?

For us as well we don't mind the close quarters with our own children. I didn't love the one big bed on NCL though becuase there wasn't a sofa in the room, so we basically had no place to sit except at the end of the huge bed and it literally left no room space to move around. Vacations are a huge expense and I'd rather have a quad on a cruise to Bermuda than a week at the Jersey Shore. Not that I don't love the shore (it's NOTHING like the God awful reality show) but we've been there so many times and driving 90 minutes to vacation isn't that much of a vacation really.

Thanks for pointing that out. When we were young kids my parents didn't have two nickles to rub together. We did cheapie vacations out of necessity. While the idea of having 4 people in a small room now just sounds like a nighmare back then I would have thought it was out of this world. Good for you for doing a cruise instead of doing that cheapie vaycay. Your post made me think about how things used to be and how in many ways things are quite good for me.

Hi everyone.

We were in 720 on A deck. As you stand with your back to the door, the bunk was over the left side of the bed. The sofa/bed conversion was between the bathroom and the bed.

Archived