White Water Rafting??

msiowa

We're on the Summit July 4 cruisetour #7. We'd like to go white water rafting and are wondering where the best place would be to do this. The possible places would be:

Denali - we arrive late afternoon and have the evening "free"

Talkeetna - again, we seem to arrive in late afternoon and have evening "free"

Alyeska - we have an evening and the whole next morning

I haven't seen any discussion of white water rafting on this board so I'm hoping some of you veterans can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Joanie

We're on the Summit July 4 cruisetour #7. We'd like to go white water rafting and are wondering where the best place would be to do this. The possible places would be:

Denali - we arrive late afternoon and have the evening "free"

Talkeetna - again, we seem to arrive in late afternoon and have evening "free"

Alyeska - we have an evening and the whole next morning

I haven't seen any discussion of white water rafting on this board so I'm hoping some of you veterans can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Joanie

I did the white water rafting trip in Denali. There were a number of outfitters to choose among, and all were pretty much the same. I've done the Gauley quite a few times in West Virginia, and the river at Denali was pretty tame in comparison. More like a float trip. It was still fun, but don't expect real "whitewater," and in reflection, probably not worth the money. But it's something to do. The Kenai river on the Kenai Penninsula also offers rafting outfitters, but again, mostly a float trip. In Talkeetna, there is a motorized boat trip that I wish we would have done. I think it was called Mahays Jetboat safari.

I had posted previously looking to white water raft in Denali with no luck on answers. I have the morning of June 18 free at the Princess Denali lodge...if anyone has any recommendations as to outfitters etc, I'd greatly appreciate it as well. Let's hope OP and I get our wishes...

Your "best " chance is the Nenana at Denali Park, there are several operators and put in in different locations depending on the class. Your best bet is to pick an operator who uses dry suits. This is be your higher classes. For me, it was only so so. Talkeenta is known more for float trips.

Archived