Sitting in the exact same spot in the Dining Room

CruzinScotty

If you choose 1st or 2nd seating, I know you'll have the same table every night.

We will be traveling with a group of 10+. It's possible we may be able to get one of the 12 tops in the middle of the dining room, or possibly 2 tables near each other.

In my past experience, the waitstaff wanted you to sit in the exact same spot every night - probably to help them learn names and drink preferences.

Dinner may be one of the main times we have to catch up on what people have done during the day. We would like to be able to mix things up and sit with different family members each night.

We did this on our recent Liberty cruise when we did ATD. We did request the same waitstaff and they knew our names the 2nd night in spite of us sitting in different places. We all drank water and only a few had coffee occasionally, so that isn't really an issue to us.

If we switch to 1st seating (because ATD does tend to take longer); will we have problems sitting in different places?

I welcome all responses; but am particularly interested in members of larger groups that may have tried this.

We do family reunion cruises every year or two, and usually have between 8 and 20 folks sail. As long as the booking numbers for all who are with your group are "LINKED" you should be assigned a table, or tables that are together. As a matter of fact, we have NEVER had just one big table, but always have had two, or three tables right next to each other, all being served by the same wait staff. Yes, we "mix it up" and that's never been a problem for the wait staff either.

Good luck, and once again, have your PVC, or TA link all the reservations, and you should be O.K.

"SKY"

Like Skymaster said, just call Carnival or your TA and make sure all the cabin reservations are linked. The dining room will then have all of you together at 1 or 2 tables. Double check when you get on board the ship that your table numbers match everyone in your party. If not, go to the dining room prior to sailing and politely ask the maitre d' to see if they can accommodate you. I've never had a problem with large groups not being together.

If you choose 1st or 2nd seating, I know you'll have the same table every night.

We will be traveling with a group of 10+. It's possible we may be able to get one of the 12 tops in the middle of the dining room, or possibly 2 tables near each other.

In my past experience, the waitstaff wanted you to sit in the exact same spot every night - probably to help them learn names and drink preferences.

Dinner may be one of the main times we have to catch up on what people have done during the day. We would like to be able to mix things up and sit with different family members each night.

We did this on our recent Liberty cruise when we did ATD. We did request the same waitstaff and they knew our names the 2nd night in spite of us sitting in different places. We all drank water and only a few had coffee occasionally, so that isn't really an issue to us.

If we switch to 1st seating (because ATD does tend to take longer); will we have problems sitting in different places?

I welcome all responses; but am particularly interested in members of larger groups that may have tried this.

I've always found it curious that people (even strangers) seated together at a large table become territorial about a particular chair being THEIR chair.

I've heard people say that they go to the MDR early to pick out which seat they want so they will have the "best" view every evening. And I just find that rude and silly.

The waitstaff in traditional dining doesn't care which chair you sit in, and it won't mix them up if you circulate around the table.

When I travel with our large Cruise Critic group we often trade seats and even tables on various nights so that we can all have an opportunity to share a meal together.

We usually get a bottle of spring water with dinner - most nights we never finish it. When we show up the next nite, the bottle is sitting in front of our seats. They always seem to take your order beginning with the same person each nite.

I think the waitstaff DOES prefer you sit in the same seats each nite - they do learn your preferences and it probably helps them accomplish their tasks a little easier.

JMHO and YMMV......

I usually have a large table and always rotate seats. Never a problem.

Same here . We usually cruise with a large group of friends and usually take up two large tables next to eachother. We mix it up and never have a problem.

One night as soon as we all got to the dining room my wife's girlfriend from the other table comes to sit right next to her (in my seat) and starts telling her some long story .

As she started telling it, the waiter comes to take the orders . She went to get up to go to her own seat and tell my wife she will finish the story later.

The waiter gestured to her to sit and finish the story. He said "You can sit there, I know where you are , I won't forget you." :)

So I went to the other table and sat next to her husband and the two wives stayed there and gossiped. *LOL*

We also travel with a group. We usually are seated at two tables, but this year our group was small enough for one. We have never had any waitstaff ask us to sit in the same seat. We tend to do that but do mix it up somewhat.

This year I asked our waiter if it bothered him if we moved around. He responded that it made his job easier with names and preferences but it didn't matter to him. .... we could sit wherever we liked

I do remember quite awhile ago (20+ years) that the waitstaff did want you to stay in the same seats.

With all the complaining about how cruising has declined over the years - it's nice to see this is now a non-issue. And this is something that I consider an improvement. :)

Archived