Tours: what happens if the ship changes itinerary?

Nessi

These boards have given me GREAT info on Alaska tours/excursions from outside companies (not through the cruiseline). I have a question: we all understand that, on a rare occasion, the ship changes it's itinerary. I have never had a port canceled before, but it could happen. If someone has a tour/excursion booked (not through the cruiseline) and the ship does not end up docking in that port for some reason, what happens to your deposit for the tour? Has this happened to anyone?

On first cruise to Alaska, we missed Skagway altogether. High winds prevented ship from docking. No problem with the independently booked tour.

Larry

You should not have a problem getting your receips back. Just hang on to every receipt, credit card deposit. etc. The independants are well aware when things happen to ships like weather, etc. We were about to land in Costa Rica and the swells were so bad that we had move up the coast for about a mile. We were all wondering if they were there. Guess what, they were. I was told once that they know the ships schedule better than we do.:D

Marilyn

In the past I have never heard of any vender not fully refunding for missed excursions due to the ship. If you cancel of course another story. If this is a concern for you, verify directly with the vender what their policy is.

No one would want the bad publicity of NOT refunding money to people because the ship didn't dock. Wod gets around pretty quick and that alone would keep people from pre booking. I wouldn't worry about getting your money back, but do ask when you make your reservation.

We were to go to Belize and when we got to the cruise dock, ready to get on, RCL informed us that we would not be going to Belize (which was the main reason we chose that itenerary) We were disappointed as we had planned a lovely all day diving adventure. We made the best of it and had a great time in spite of not getting to go to Belize and our money was refunded.

mzoom.

HI everybody,

We have just made inquiries about bookings with Dr Larry Whale Watching Junea, and also the Dog Sled tour in Skagway through Orca@alaska.com. We asked the same question if for any reason we could not make the tour what happened to our deposit. We were told that if we do not give them 72hrs notice then we loose it,if you give more than 72hrs then a $25.00 cancellation fee applies. You will get a refund if the Vendor cancels. Unused tickets can be used on another trip if available space.

I am now thinking twice about booking through an outside company as we can't give them 72hrs notice if the ship can't make it, it hasn't even left Vancouver.

We have been on ships before that have not been able to dock due to weather or have docked late.

Noddy

In the 27 years I have lived in Juneau and the 12 years I have worked in Alaska tourism I have never heard of a ship not being able to dock in Juneau. Because of our topography, we are a very sheltered harbor, which is probably why you got the response you did from Orca. Skagway is a horse of a different color. They do get wind problems, but not that often. So I would not take Orca's reply to be what all vendors would say. I would check with the individual vendors. Also are you buying trip insurance. If you are and you buy the right type, ir will cover that problem.

Becky

AlaskaPersonalYours.com

Last Sep, the Summit changed port times when we got to our cabin to leave. We went back on deck and called Capt Larry and Southeast Aviation to let them know. We rescheduled our times without a problem except for the extra stress. Then, we were actually even later for Juneau, and had to rebook again. Capt Larry had changed other people around and put the Summit folk on a late tour, I think it was after 4 when we left (in the rain). They were very helpful in making sure we all got our excursion in. In Ketchikan, we were another hour later than revised schedule, and Jim had rescheduled our Misty Fjords flt. So if you book with good people and try to keep them informed, you will be ok.

>>We asked the same question if for any reason we could not make the tour what happened to our deposit. We were told that if we do not give them 72hrs notice then we loose it,if you give more than 72hrs then a $25.00 cancellation fee applies.<<

Noddy, I'm sure that if you phrased the question as "what happens if the ship is delayed or has to skip Juneau altogether?", you'd get a very different answer, as the other replies have indicated.

Murray

Hi Warren

Our question to Orca was "If the ship does not dock or is late" what happens to our deposit. The answer we got was the 72hr notice one.

I later sent an email stating due to that reason I would not be booking through them. I got a reply back stating that if the ship does not dock then a refund will be given, but if I am cancelling it I have to give them 72hrs notice. The first answer I got was a general reply NOT a no show ship one, I don't think she must have read the question properly as it was only related to the ship.

We have now sorted it out and have gone ahead with the bookings we wanted to do. So Orca do give a refund on a no show ship.

Regards

Noddy:)

Archived