Sailing with a minor - a couple of questions

Avril

My boyfriend and I are planning to take a cruise on DCL sometime in 2014. :D We will be sailing with his 8 year old DD (who will be 10 by the time we sail). As I've never sailed with a minor, I was just wondering, is there anything in paticular we will need to take his daughter out of the country (we're all from Canada and are Canadian citizens), onto the plane, then onto the ship (and off the ship in the ports)? We know about the passport and will get her one but is there anything else we have to do or get (specific to DCL or cruising in general)?

Also, is there anything I will need to get or do for myself to prove I'm allowed to be with her since I'm obviously not her Mom (we have different last names)? Her Dad (my boyfriend) will be coming with us but I'm not sure if that's enough. Better to be safe than sorry!!!!

Thanks!!!! :D

Hi Avril,

I am in a similar situation, sailing with my daughter but without her mother :) There is a form on the Canadian government web site that you can fill out and that will suffice in a lot of cases.

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/preparation_information/consent-letter_lettre-consentement-eng

I recommend contacting the consulates of the countries you will be visiting first though. Real easy to do...Again, the Canadian government web site, all consulates can be found there, send them an email with your details and questions. I emailed 3 countries, within 3 days I had answers. Croatia was the quickest to reply. All had the same answer too. A recommendation that the letter is notarized!

I just ended up getting a lawyer to the whole permission letter for me.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks so much!! :D It'll be so much fun and she's really excited about seeing and going on the "big boat" (her words)!! :D

Just a couple more questions (sorry)!! :o How do you get a letter noterized and how long does it normally take? Just trying to figure out how long we need to get these things (letter and getting her a passport) done!!

Thanks again!!!! :D

The only person that you need a notorized signature is from the parent that will not be going-- granting permission that she knows the daughter is leaving the country and the dates.

Keep the form with your passport/paperwork.

Cruise lines are not interested in it as much as the immigration/custom people.

If there is no mom--or the mom is an abstentee parent-- the court paperwork is all you will need

Thanks so much!! :D It'll be so much fun and she's really excited about seeing and going on the "big boat" (her words)!! :D

Just a couple more questions (sorry)!! :o How do you get a letter noterized and how long does it normally take? Just trying to figure out how long we need to get these things (letter and getting her a passport) done!!

Thanks again!!!! :D

Not sure about Canada but here in the US, most banks have a Notery Public in all the branches. The person having their signature noterized has to sign the document in front of the Notery and then they will sign and seal that they witnessed the signature. Not sure how long it will take for the passport. You might want to check with your local government.

Ok, thanks!! :D How do we get the noterized letter/signature? Her Mom is still alive, her parents are just divorced. Also, how long does it take to get noterized (I know the US will be different from Canada but I'd like a general idea)? So you mean, they won't ask for it at Embarkation but they will when we cross the border going from Canada into the US?

Sorry for all the (possibly dumb) questions but I've never sailed with a child before so I have no idea what happens and how!! :o

Usually at a Notary you can get it done in the same day. Here in the US, some need appts, some are just walk-in. I would have her put in the notarised letter that she gives your boyfriend and you to travel with the child to (name all islands) on x date (and extend by a day or 2 on each side.) It would also be a good idea for her to state that she gives you both permission to seek emergency medical treatment. You may not even need it, but better safe than sorry. Here in the US both parents need to be present when applying for a Minor's passport, or have a notarized letter, court docs, etc...not sure how that works in Canada.

we were asked for the letter when debarking the ship after the cruise was over. (thankfully I had it handy and not packed away)

MOST cruisers are not asked for the letter.

Archived