Your Best Cabin and Why

dalebo

We sailed on the Rotterdam to Alaska the first year after her refit and the introduction of the "Lanai" cabins. We had CA3356 and loved it.

It was a short walk down to the Atrium, if you go in the other direction you are about 50 steps from the elevators. There were two exits from the cabin - the door into the hallway and the slideing doors took you directly out to the Promenade and the two reserved deck chairs. We would sit out there and watch the world go buy. The best part - the cabins were almost $700.00 less than the cost of the balconies with the SAME views. Which gave us extra money for the larger excursions.

What more can you ask for??

Like you our favorite cabin was a Lanai on the Veendam..We normally cruise with Friends & always book Outside cabins, mid ship, on either Main or Dolphin..Our bookings are always marked "Do not Up Grade"

When we cruised to Bermuda in 2010, we were by ourselves..HAL offered us an up sell to either a balcony or a Lanai..Since we normally spend our days & enjoy sitting on the Promenade Deck, watching the world go by, we chose the Lanai..

We were hooked & if we sail again on a ship that has Lanai's we would book one again..:):)

Now this might change in Nov. as again we are cruising with the same Friends on the Noordam & got a good deal from HAL to pay for an outside & get a VF Balcony cabin..We all decided to try it, but suspect we'll still spend our days out on the Promenade deck with our Friends..We'll let you know when we return..

Cheers....:)Betty

That was my best cabin, what was yours?

Ours was definitely Room 7004 on the Rotterdam...that's where we had the surprise of a lifetime and were upgraded to a Penthouse Suite. (Didn't find out about the upgrade until the concierge opened the door to our room...the details are on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1647216 )

We loved having such a huge balcony...which was big enough for me to practice yoga every morning.

7343424734_175785d57a.jpg

Best cabin ever? Probably my idealy located balcony cabin on the Prinsendam. First, and probably last, time I will ever be so lucky as to have a "porch" on a ship. An unexpected last-minute upgrade to a comfortable cabin in a perfect location.

Best cabin ever? The penthouse suite on Prinsendam, nothing better, ever. Can't wait to do it again!

Invite me over for a drink, so I can check it out, K? :D

Can I come too:D:D It's very small compared to the other penthouses in the fleet - would love to see it:)

Most, if not all, of the response has been from balcony cabins. Let's take another step...

Do you limit yourself to Balcony only, Aft balcony only or deluxe balcony suite only.

For me the one requirement is a balcony period. but after seeing some of the responses.... I am going to look at an Aft balcony cabin and a wrap aft cabin!

Dalebo

Nieuw Amsterdam - V8025 on the eighth deck, the Navigation deck, assigned to us from our VF guarantee (we would never request a handicapped room as there may be others who truly need it). After checking the ship’s deck plan, I realized disappointingly that we were assigned a handicapped room. Before calling HAL to ask for a re-assignment, I checked with the boards here on Cruise Critic and was pleased to find out that handicapped rooms actually offered some benefits that other cabins don't such as - more square footage, a larger bathroom with a big walk-in shower, and a larger balcony. On the Nieuw Amsterdam, the handicapped rooms are located where the ship 'bends' in, and in addition to the balcony being larger than standard, it offered three distinct views - looking back, looking straight out, and looking forward. The walk-in shower was large, especially compared to other cruise line showers we have had. It easily accommodated two people at the same time (if you catch my drift :D).

My favorite cabin was in 1994 on the Regent Star, the former SS Statendam.

We had an outside stateroom big enough to hold a crib for our three year old with plenty of floor space left over. The bathroom was huge with a tub. Ocean view was through round portholes with the big wing nut screw type fasteners and everything. Cool!

The old ship lulled us to sleep with its creaks and groans.

There was a lot of genuine wood in our cabin and throughout the ship, also plenty of exposed pipes and conduits. It looked like the 1950's ocean liner it had once been.

Best cabin on HAL was 4180 on Zuiderdam. It is an SC aft with wrap around balcony. The cabin was spacious and had plenty of storage space, although I didn't like where the vanity was located - it's right outside the bathroom door. My husband had to remember to open the bathroom door slowly so he wouldn't slam it into me if I was sitting at the vanity. That took a bit of training! :p

The balcony was wonderful. It has an uncovered section that faces aft and a covered port side section. If we wanted sun, we could have an aft view. If we wanted shade, we could move the loungers to the port side.

The location was perfect for going through the Panama Canal. Deck 4 is bascially even with the top of the locks when you first enter from the Atlantic side. We could practically shake hands with the Canal workers so it was very easy to see what was going on.

A Deluxe Veranda on Prinsendam.

Best layout of any cabin we have occupied. It's better than PH on Oceania and better than any of the suites on the three Regent ships ... and it's not even designated as a suite.

Photo does not show the walk-in closet and bath, which has two entrances ... one for guests when entertaining. Shown, two desk work areas and large curved leather sofa again, perfect for entertaining.

P050.jpg

We have sailed with Holland America several times. We always have a balcony but never had a suite. thinking back, I think the best cabin I had was cabin 1027 on the Eurodam for a cruise to Norway and Scotland.

Why?

It was high up... great views.

There are very few cabins on that deck and in a few steps you can be outside so you can see both sides of the ship... Great when we were in the Fjords.

We were right but the stairs and elevator... With very few cabins on that deck, the noise was not a problem.

One flight up was the library, cafe and one flight down was the Lido Deck.

That was my best cabin, what was yours?

Any cabin "on the carpet" across from the Neptune. Easy access to the lounge and I've always gotten an internet connection in my room.

Archived