Where to stay in Rome

CarleenD

Hi everyone:

I'm sure you've NEVER heard this question before! :-)

I'm leaving on the Jade from Rome. You guys gave me a GREAT hotel suggestion for Barcelona, so now I'm looking for one in Rome, near the ship. I prefer more upscale & modern properties, while not being *too*, too American.

Thanks for any help!

Carleen

P.S. - If you happen to know anything about Istanbul (doing an overnight on the way in), that'd be great too. ;-)

Hi everyone:

I'm sure you've NEVER heard this question before! :-)

I'm leaving on the Jade from Rome. You guys gave me a GREAT hotel suggestion for Barcelona, so now I'm looking for one in Rome, near the ship. I prefer more upscale & modern properties, while not being *too*, too American.

Thanks for any help!

Carleen

P.S. - If you happen to know anything about Istanbul (doing an overnight on the way in), that'd be great too. ;-)

I would suggest you do a Google search re a map of Rome and the port to gat an idea how far apart they are,and the logistics of getting from one to the other.I am guessing you are used to sailing in the Carib.and European ports are not in anyway the same.(just a guess on my part) I would then say check out Venere.com for area's you may wish to stay in if you want to stay in Rome. If you want to stay near the port do a search on this board as they are some recent suggestions of hotels in the area.

As for Istanbul there is another board for this with a lot of info on it.

If you are looking for a hotel in Rome, I can suggest the Hotel Artemide.

Check it out on Trip Advisor, it gets very good reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d205044-Reviews-Artemide_Hotel-Rome_Lazio.html

We stayed at the Hotel Artemide for 4 nights on our last visit to Rome. We had a great experience, and would certainly stay there again. The front desk staff were professional, polite and helpful.

A wonderful breakfast is included, with many selections to choose from. Fresh fruits, meats, cheeses, cereal, eggs, etc. They make excellent cappuccino.

They also provide (no charge) snacks and drinks in the in-room refrigerator. There is a roof-top lounge, but we didn't utilize it, we were just too busy.

We found the location very convenient and walked to many sites. The main train station, Termini, is about a 10 minute walk. There is a deli/market across the street, that we picked up some fruit, cheese and wine.

Enjoy your visit to Italy!

Excellent questions! I guess I want to be in Rome versus Civitavecchia. I took a similar cruise last summer but forgot Rome was that far away. I know it's pretty easy to do a generic search, but I really wanted the opinions of cc members.

Thanks for the Hotel Artemide suggestion! It's the cappuccino in Italy I'm looking forward to the most. To die for...

If I were to stay in Rome, how should I get to port (cost effectively)? A train? And where are the two relative to the airport?

We stayed near Termini at Hotel Columbia. It was reasonably priced, free breakfast every morning (cappuccino, cereals, pastries, meats and cheeses, juice, etc), spacious for Rome's standards, and clean. The staff was very helpful and friendly and it became our home away from home. Termini was not nearly as shady as everyone made it out to be, and you are also just as close to Repubblica metro station. I would look at your list of must-see sites and find something centrally located to them and/or a mentro stop. Termini was good for us because all the lines converge there and it is the point of origin for most trains, so you get a seat or at least a spot on the train.

As for the train, we took the Leonardo Express from Termini to Civitavecchia and then back again. For airport we went Termini to FCO. It was all very cost-effective (the Termini to FCO is 14 EUR and to port was much less). Just be careful at Termini when going to Civit. that you ignore anyone trying to "help" you find the train, move your bags, etc. Buy your ticket at the machines or any newsstand, make sure you validate it in the little green or orange machines in the station, and keep your luggage with you or where you can see it at all times and access it easily.

Thanks so much Tyrna! This was very helpful. I may end up staying in Civitavecchia, because I'm mostly looking for a crashpad the night before the cruise. I thought I might sight-see, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks for helping me with options!

If you decide to stay in Civitavechia, rather than Rome, we stayed at Hotel Bramante there and absolutely loved it. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the hotel immaculate, breakfast buffet was really good and they included a free shuttle to the ship. It is not the nearest hotel to the tourist shopping area, but is a few blocks from the area where the locals shop. I highly recommend it!

We stayed in two family rooms in Rome the summer of 2009. We very much enjoyed Albergo Santa Chiara because it was in walking distance of many sights, had a great breakfast (even letting us partake when we arrived early after getting off our ship).

You will love Rome! It's amazing!

As for the train, we took the Leonardo Express from Termini to Civitavecchia and then back again. For airport we went Termini to FCO. It was all very cost-effective (the Termini to FCO is 14 EUR and to port was much less). Just be careful at Termini when going to Civit. that you ignore anyone trying to "help" you find the train, move your bags, etc. Buy your ticket at the machines or any newsstand, make sure you validate it in the little green or orange machines in the station, and keep your luggage with you or where you can see it at all times and access it easily.

The Leonardo Express is the non stop connection between Rome's Termini train terminal and the airport only. Termini to Civitavecchia is connected with the Italian train system

Civitavecchia is the Port of Rome and 45 mins from Rome by train from Roma Termini station. .

If you want to stay in Rome then in vicinity of Vatican City try B & B A View of Rome, or B & B A Peace of Rome . Near Piazza Navona try Hotel Smeraldo.

In Civitavecchia try Hotel Miramare close to the Port & Station .

For all the above book on line direct with Hotel websites to avoid paying commissions to middlemen.

Archived