Life jacket question about babies on boating excursions

CocaCola19

The lifejackets on the ship are for emergencies...you can't use them off the ship or at the pool. If your child needs to have floatation devices, bring your own.

I wouldn't expect to use those big chunky orange bricks for anything but an emergency. The baby won't be getting in the pools, she is not potty trained.

It is my assumption, based on a few things I have read recently, that all children under a certain age are required to wear a life vest. I know she won't be wearing one on the cruise ship, but I didn't know if the tenders or the whale watching boat (holds about 100 or so passengers) are required to wear the life vest.

I wouldn't expect to use those big chunky orange bricks for anything but an emergency. The baby won't be getting in the pools, she is not potty trained.

It is my assumption, based on a few things I have read recently, that all children under a certain age are required to wear a life vest. I know she won't be wearing one on the cruise ship, but I didn't know if the tenders or the whale watching boat (holds about 100 or so passengers) are required to wear the life vest.

No life jackets required on tenders or other boats - they're available if needed.

Most of the excursions that allow infants will provide life jackets, that being said they are usually not in the best of shape as they are used often. And many times they have a child one size fits all. I find it best with my kiddos to bring theirs from home so that way we a guaranteed to have a correct fit. If you get a neoprene one and open it up and lay it flat in the bottom of your suitcase it doesn't take up much room :)

I would bring your own and make sure that it is appropriate for the activity you are going to be doing. We Kayak frequently with our 18 month old, her life jacket goes up to 30 pounds and has extra flaps and leg strap to ensure that should she climb out of the Kayak or we capsize that she will always end up floating on her back with her head above water.

The swim life jackets, etc are not appropriate for all activities and may not be approved for use on board vessels unless it is a coast guard approved floatation device.

Archived