Just back from EOS but still feel like I'm on the ship

Yes, it will go away soon. That is how I felt after my first cruise. May I ask, what was wrong with your cruise? I have sailed Explorer of the Seas twice and had a great time. Would like to know what has changed.

Thanks for the info. There was nothing wrong with the ship and the crew was great. We discovered that cruising just isn't for my immediate family or me. Personally I didn't like the food or the entertainment and found myself very bored much of the time we were at sea. Aside from the gym and the solorium there wasn't much else I found to pass the time. I missed the ice show since my daughter was sick the last day and a half of the cruise but likely would have enjoyed that.

We were with extended family and we had a great time being together but next time I'll vote for a land based resort.

We loved Bermuda and did a lot. We hope to go back via plane.

I agree, crusing in not for everyone. For me, I have such a hectic life that I really enjoy sea days and just relaxing. Sitting by the pool and playing cards with friends, maybe a drink or two. But I have also done all-inclusive land based vacations with family and found those to be wonderful as well. At least you gave it a try.

Thanks for the info. There was nothing wrong with the ship and the crew was great. We discovered that cruising just isn't for my immediate family or me. Personally I didn't like the food or the entertainment and found myself very bored much of the time we were at sea. Aside from the gym and the solorium there wasn't much else I found to pass the time. I missed the ice show since my daughter was sick the last day and a half of the cruise but likely would have enjoyed that.

We were with extended family and we had a great time being together but next time I'll vote for a land based resort.

We loved Bermuda and did a lot. We hope to go back via plane.

Cruising isn't for everyone, at least you enjoyed what you could, and made the best of it. Hope the kiddo is on the mend! Enjoy your next vacation, whatever you and your family decides.

Also the "ship is moving" feeling could last a day to a week long, but it will go away.

The "movement" feeling that you are experiencing is an inner ear issue but it's minor and it will go away. Mine usually last about a week. I have noticed that when I drive in a car, the movement feeling temporarily goes away. It's a matter of your body readjusting to land.

That "swoozie" feeling is wonderful! It makes me feel like I'm still on a ship. I hate it when it goes away, but mine always went away as soon as I booked another cruise. Really..

Enjoy! It won't last long.

Sorry, I'm not enjoying it much. I haven't been able to do much since we got back Thursday afternoon because it's making me light headed and queasy.

I have this feeling that everything is still moving. Please tell me this will go away soon. The cruise itself was not great and now even being on dry land isn't feeling so good.

Its a condition call PCD - that's Post Cruise Depression and the only treatment is to book another cruise ;) !!!

Seriously tho, you have 'Sea Legs' I had it too, it will pass after a few days.

Edit: Aha, just read that you didn't have such a great experience - someone once told me that if you have a bad cruise, then you are just on the wrong ship for your needs - maybe this was the case for you ?

As others stated it's probably an inner ear thing. DW once had this bad enough after a 14 night cruise that she was in bed for about a week afterwords. The doctor called it "land sickness" basicly your ears got used to the movement of the ship and has a hard time readjusting back. It might sound odd but you might want to try seasick pills to see if it helps or go to a doctor to see if they can give you something to help.

I experienced this after my first cruise and did go to the doctor who prescribed sea sick pills and they did help. I found it the worst in the shower. I too thought I would never cruise again, but I was so wrong :p

Good luck

Yeah, I usually have it for about a week, but it doesn't sound like I get it as bad as you are:( I especially notice it when I'm in the shower....not sure why but I usually have to grab on to something sometimes!! Just like you got your "sea legs" while on the ship, you need to get you "land legs" while back on land :)

I'm sorry that the cruise wasn't for you! As other posters have said, it's not for everyone. We never get bored on a ship-in fact, we have a hard time doing everything we want to do! Maybe a cruise that's very port intensive would be a better fit, or as you said stick to land vacations.

I personally love cruising because I need the relaxation and time away from phones and computers. Also I'm a reader and read 5 books on last cruise. Can't do that at home....

Enjoy being pampered too...

Ditto. Had this after my first cruise also (didn't get sea sick either). It took a few days to go away, but I sort of liked it as it reminded me of being on the ship. I do not recall ever getting it again, even after some real, real stormy TA crossings.

I'm no doctor, but it certainly should be related to the semi-circular canals, which help us maintain balance. I just never learned what exactly causes this afterwards, when on dry land.

As a pilot I learned about this when I got my instrument rating. Motion per se aside, when you lack any reference to the horizon, and strapped into your seat, the plane could be turning left and descending, and you might think it is turning right and climbing. Unless you trust your instruments and fly by them, this can kill you, as it did JFK Jr. I experience these sensations every time I hand fly and enter clouds. It really is weird, but I force myself, as trained, and glue my eyes to those instruments despite what my brain is telling me. Trust me, it's not easy to do unless you have experience.

everyone has their opinions but land based all inclusives have me bored in no time.

I always felt bad admitting this! I did a land based resort once and it was rather boring. Though I prefer a land resort where I have a car rental and I can go out exploring. I did that in Santa Barbara this February. Otherwise the island resorts all there is to do is beach, pool, drinking..... while that is nice for a few days I found it a bit boring. I like on the ship you get to see different places and there are more things going on inside the ship (yes some are cheesy). But I guess this is why there are vacation options! Cruising is not for everyone just like many other forms of vacation are not for everyone.

To the OP I get that motion things once in a while when returning from a cruise that and thinking my toilet bowl is positioned higher! Cruise ship toilets are propped up higher.:D

I agree. My life is also so hectic it's a race every day on the farm wondering what comes first to do. A friend asked me yesterday why I was so taken with cruising and why I didn't care about other vacations. I was a little taken aback by the comment. I love not having to worry about "what to do tomorrow" and all that other stuff.

I like on the ship you get to see different places and there are more things going on inside the ship (yes some are cheesy). But I guess this is why there are vacation options! Cruising is not for everyone just like many other forms of vacation are not for everyone. :D

I have heard at least 3 things that might help . . .

1. Valium :) Old school, but I knwo for a FACT this what my mother's doctor gave her after cruises and it really worked. Just one or two days of it.

2. Exercise. We were on a cruise and one of our tablemates told us he exercises the last night of the cruise and then when he gets home and this has relieved it for him. He told us he heard it from his cabin steward who also suffered from it.

3. There is an herb that is supposed to help. Not ginger, but a chinese herb called something like bingko or gingko??? I can't remember but maybe someone else will.

It does go away. I hope you get feeling better soon! I must admit I am one of the "weirdo's" too -- I kinda like it.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Archived