10.40 flight out of San Juan

FWIW, when arrived San Juan our debarkation was delayed for several hours. I think we made it to the airport at 2. Our flight left at something like 4, and we basically just walked on the plane. If anything goes wrong, you'll miss your flight. The airport was chaos when we were there...good luck getting another flight if you miss yours...you'll need it. BTW, Easter, on a very Catholic island has to make matters worse.

Will we be able to make a 10.40 flight out of San Juan on March 31st ? (Easter)

Any input ?

Sheri

There is no way to tell you with certainty that you WILL or WON'T make a 10:40 flight. Will the ship dock on time? Will it clear customs on time? Will there be enough customs agents working on Easter? Will 1000 land-based vacations arrive at the airport and get in line 2 minutes before you do? etc. etc. etc.

I have only flown out of SJU once, and while I don't recall exactly what time we got through the dog-and-pony-show of disembarking/customs/transport to SJU/check in/agricultural inspection/bag check/security, I do know that 10:40 would have been pushing it, to say the least. Lines were long, and it all seemed a little crazy.

I once flew out of SJU the day before Christmas. The airport was a scene. My bags caught up with me 5 days later.... they had somehow magically flown to the DR, while I had gone to Miami and on to Ft Myers... my flight was at 2pm, and I made it.. .if I could get away with it, I'd book a room next time or schedule a flight at least as late as I could manage.. if you are several people it might even be cheaper to wait a day to fly out after a cruise, as the flights could be significantly cheaper ... those thousands of passengers all wanting to fly on the same day increases the costs of the flight... good luck and have a great cruise.

Any input ?

Sheri

There is no way anyone could guaranteed you'd make a 10:40A, but boy I don't think I would chance it. I got off in San Juan on the Celebrity Summit and my flight was at 3Pm and boy was I glad. There were only 2 custom agent at the pier and the lines were long, but they did move. The airport was complete chaos with long lines at security. Noon at the earliest would I schedule a flight out of San Juan....just my opinion.

I have to agree with everyone else, a 10:40 flight out of San Juan is pretty 'iffy'. I personally would not book a flight that early out any airport post cruise but especially not SJ. After both of my SJ cruises the airport was a complete zoo. But I sure do love those Southern Caribbean cruises :p and dealing with the airport post cruise was worth it. Good luck with your flight and have a GREAT cruise!

This past April we had an 11:00am flight out of San Juan. We were one of the first passengers off the ship, gathered our bags, went through customs, grabbed a cab, and made it to the airport with plenty of spare time. This however was possible due to everything running smoothly and on time on that given day. It is taking a chance, but.......it can be done. you have to decide if you are willing to take that chance. Like previous posters said....it is Easter Sunday, that could add to the volume of passengers at the airport also. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Karyn

When we were leaving from San Juan in March - back to Miami - the TSA had 2 lines open. 2 for everyone on AOS. They kept bringing people with early flights to the front. I would no way in heck book a flight earlier than noon.

Thanks to all the advices we made a final decicion and are booking a later flight since we are going overseas and have connecting flights in NY.

Sheri

Is there a possibility that you can fly out on Monday?

The reason I ask is that Sunday's are a zoo at the airport, due to the cruisers. Mondays are much better- not great, but better.

We fly to SJU a few times a year, and have accepted taking connecting flights on "off" days out to avoid the massive humanity on cruise days.

That, and we love spending a night in Old San Juan. :D

Is there a possibility that you can fly out on Monday?

The reason I ask is that Sunday's are a zoo at the airport, due to the cruisers. Mondays are much better- not great, but better.

We fly to SJU a few times a year, and have accepted taking connecting flights on "off" days out to avoid the massive humanity on cruise days.

That, and we love spending a night in Old San Juan. :D

Also, for many land-based vacation destinations like San Juan, Saturdays/Sundays are also check out days for week-long vacation packages at hotels, condos, time shares, etc. So not only do you have the cruisers all trying to get home, you a ton of other vacationers as well. Since those people do not have to wait for a ship to dock and clear customs, and do not themselves have to stand in line to disembark and go through customs, they can generally get to the airport earlier, and often are the ones clogging up the airport check in lines and security lines for the morning flights. Hence, even if you get off the ship reasonably early and ahead of most other cruise pax, you may still find yourself at the end of a long line at the airport.

This will be our first cruise. March 24 2013 And we have already booked a flight home from San juan for 11:45am After calling RCI they said anytime after 11:00am should be fine. Can anybody put my mind at ease after reading some past posts sounds like this port is a nightmare.

No, I don't think you will even have a chance to make that flight. If you attempt this just make sure you do the agricultural inspection before you get into the long lines to check in.

###

Absolutely! I had no idea that I had to go thru the agricultural inspection. I was on a long line to get thru the entrance and spotted the green stickers on other traveler's luggage. I asked the woman in front of me and of course had to get of the line and go thru inspection. San Juan can be a chaotic airport. I would never attemp a flight at 10:40 am.

I once flew out of SJU the day before Christmas. The airport was a scene. My bags caught up with me 5 days later.... they had somehow magically flown to the DR, while I had gone to Miami and on to Ft Myers... my flight was at 2pm, and I made it.. .if I could get away with it, I'd book a room next time or schedule a flight at least as late as I could manage.. if you are several people it might even be cheaper to wait a day to fly out after a cruise, as the flights could be significantly cheaper ... those thousands of passengers all wanting to fly on the same day increases the costs of the flight... good luck and have a great cruise.

A friend of mine did exactly that..it was cheaper for her to stay one night in a hotel post cruise and a lot less stress returning home.

Any input ?

Sheri

We had a 10:55 flight and we made it in plenty of time. Make sure you tell the quest relations that you have to get of fast and go through the agricultural inspection before checking in. We did our boarding passes on the ship.

Archived