Help with St. George, Bermuda

SailBabySail

We will be on the Star July 1 to Bermuda. Last year we never got to St. George and this time we are heading there first. For those of you who have been could you please help me out so I get my bearings?

Once we are off the water taxi will we be able to "walk" to any of the following places...Unfinished Church..Bailey's Ice Cream..Swizzle Inn and Crystal Caves? Even if we can walk to a couple of places that would be helpful. Also, I believe there is a beach but can't remember the name.

Thanks everyone...and I hope you can help.

We will be on the Star July 1 to Bermuda. Last year we never got to St. George and this time we are heading there first. For those of you who have been could you please help me out so I get my bearings?

Once we are off the water taxi will we be able to "walk" to any of the following places...Unfinished Church..Bailey's Ice Cream..Swizzle Inn and Crystal Caves? Even if we can walk to a couple of places that would be helpful. Also, I believe there is a beach but can't remember the name.

look up st george on google maps

Once you are off the ferry (don't know where this water taxi stuff comes from someone started) you are within walking distance of the unfinished church and could also walk to Tobacco Bay (thats the close beach) or take a taxi or minibus to that beach. As far as the Crystal Caves, Swizzle Inn and Baileys Ice Cream they are not walking distance. You would want to take a bus or taxi. Those last three are walking distance from each other once you get there.

Yes this is possible.

We were in Bermuda this past just this past May and that is what we did the first day.

We took the first morning ferry out to St. George since it took 45 minutes to get there.

Once we were there we did a lot of walking. But it was not a bad walk. Achilles Bay I think was the beach near by, small but nice. There is a show around noon in the town square and it's free. Very interesting, don't miss it. The town of St. George is very small and not much to do there since they have moved everything to the town of Hamilton. Have a great cruise.

A map may help you understand the relationship to each; here's a map of Bermuda -

route-map-v6copy.jpg

Look at the top at the right hand corner and you'll see the location of the Unfinished Church and just below that is the ferry terminal.

Now slowly scan left along the top from the top right until you see the word ZONE 2. Just beneath that is the Swizzle Inn and just below that are the Crystal & Fantasy Caves. Not shown is Bailey's Ice Cream but it is across the street from SI.

BTW, there are ferries in Bermuda not water taxis.

HTH

SBtS

Charles4515, AngelSea57 and SailBadTheSinner...thank you for the information which was very helpful. Yes, I do know they are called ferries but somehow confused it with somewhere else and referred to it as a water taxi. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will be printing out the map graciously provided by SailBadTheSinner. Have a great weekend everyone and thanks again.

there is also another beach just below Ft St Catherine ( It is called FT.St Catherine's beach) which is a short walk past Tobacco Bay. It has more sand area and is usually not very crowed. We were there last Monday on the Bermudian holiday and it was not crowed. there are no bathrooms or any other services here, just a beautiful beach.

When you say "first", do you mean on July 1? July 1 is a Sunday and the ferries do not run on Sundays. Buses are on a limited schedule as well, and most stores in St. George's are closed.

July 1 is their sail date. They won't be in Bermuda on a Sunday......

Buses & Ferries are $20/2-days per person, $28/3-days per person.

Follow the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34272313&postcount=2

There are instructions for printing the map here.

SBtS

Love your map, but I can't follow the directions. I've tried 3 computers and none of them, when I right click, will give me anything close to view image. Any other ideas?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Went to visit Bermuda web site. Ordered booklet with nice map in it. Arrived in 2 days to Vermont. I would have preferred a folding pocket one rather than inside full size booklet but it will do fine and is in color.

Went to visit Bermuda web site. Ordered booklet with nice map in it. Arrived in 2 days to Vermont. I would have preferred a folding pocket one rather than inside full size booklet but it will do fine and is in color.

They have always had handy folding pocket maps in the cruise terminal when you get off in Bermuda. Also sometimes they had those on the ship. No need to order or print out maps.

Thanks nicebbern, that's also a great map! I've printed it out, details are just a bit too small, but still a nice reference.

Still would like Sail's map to print out..anybody?

You may want to try to save the file as a pdf.

If you save the file as a pdf you can expand and enlarge the map. You'll be able to see the details better.

Archived