Skagway- Have dog sled booked. What about a back up?

cujochurch

We have the Helicopter tour/dog sled excursion booked off ship (ship sold out) with Temesco. I have read that this is the most oft cancelled alaska excursion due to weather. I would like to have a back up plan in place since we are in skagway the entire day. How far in advance do we know if ours is cancelled? how do we go about booking something else? Would we do it on ship or at pier? any help or recommendations would be good? If ours is cancelled would that mean all helicopter tours would be out due to weather? That would be what we would like to replace it with if nessecary. Thanks in advance.

You will be at the TEMSCO (initials) office for this tour, since you booked "off ship". The "ship" has nothing to do with this or any other bookings, since usually the shore excursion desk- if even open is inconvenient since you have to bother getting back on the ship. This can cancel minutes prior. They "may" reschedule if the delay is not extended, but they likely are also sold out on tours. They "may" offer you a regular glacier landing, which I note in my posts. Determine IF this would be a tour you would want. Otherwise, do your homework prior, there is a lot of stuff to do in Skagway. Have contacts and cell phone numbers handy. If you choose to be more open, then head to the visitor center. They can be very helpful.

Backup suggestions

The train that can often be purchased directly that day, almost never sells out. Walk the town and visit the museum and shopping.

Reserve a car and plan a drive, I hear the views are great.

As to when you'll know its canceled, you can't predict. They always try and fly if it is safe. Weather/clouds change by the hour thus AM could be canceled and PM could be sunny or vice versa...

If canceled there is always the chance that they would offer you a glacier landing.. as that is still money for them and a good excursion for you.

The approach we took was booked the first flight of the day, thus had the rest of the day for other things, canceled or not, or last flight of the day..

Good luck,

We have the Helicopter tour/dog sled excursion booked off ship (ship sold out) with Temesco. I have read that this is the most oft cancelled alaska excursion due to weather. I would like to have a back up plan in place since we are in skagway the entire day. How far in advance do we know if ours is cancelled? how do we go about booking something else? Would we do it on ship or at pier? any help or recommendations would be good? If ours is cancelled would that mean all helicopter tours would be out due to weather? That would be what we would like to replace it with if nessecary. Thanks in advance.

Archived