Legend or Dream for December Cruise?!?! Help please!!

jjdjcruisers

Ok, I am looking for some suggestions on a tough decision! We are preparing to book a cruise in December. It will be my families 2nd cruise (Valor in 2010) and my in-laws 1st cruise. We will be travelling with 4 adults, 2 (18 year olds) and 1 (10 year old)! The debate is we take the Legend porting out of Tampa, (POC - Cayman, Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel) or taking the Dream porting out of PC with (POC - Nassau, St. Maarten, and St Thomas)

Ok, so when we took our 1st cruise, we went to the same POC that the Legend is going on, which I would definately love to go back. The plus side is I know where I am going, and what excursions I would want to book and am for sure that the in-laws would have a fabulous time. However, we could go on the Dream and it would be new ports for everyone.

My other question is what is there for the two 18 year olds to do? :confused:My son was 16 when we went on our last cruise and he LOVED club o2, however I did see that this is only for ages 15-17.... I want to be sure they will have as much fun as he did before! :D

Any of you long time cruisers... have any pros or cons to help me with my decision.... on the ships, ports, etc?!?! All comments welcome!

Thanks much! :p

This is just my opinion, but I have sailed both ships, and we found the Dream to be WAY too crowded. The ship is built to hold more passengers....but the public spaces and the buffet area is the same size as smaller ships....so we stood in insane lines no matter what time we went. We tried to go early and late and it never made a difference. This was in September....not the summertime.

I love Legend and sailing under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge is a fantastic sight!

Another vote here for the Legend. I've been on both, Legend was so much better we are going back again this December.

Big reason was public spaces for us. On the Legend, we love there are 2 mid-ship pools PLUS an adults-only pool at the back of the ship.

On the Dream, the adulys-only area is way forward and only has a whirpool tub. There are only 2 pools on the whole ship. Buffet areas never seemed as crowded as we had heard. The only thing we loved about the Dream was the Spa pass we bought to get access to the T-pool and Thermal Suites.

PLUS.....going under the Skyway bridge when leaving Tampa was pretty cool!

I have not been on either, but have done those western ports a lot

and was recently on the Spirit...it was fine but I am not madly in love

with the Spirit Class

I would do the Dream...

Eastern Ports are really nice, St Thomas and St Martin are great

The Eastern ports are NO tenders

excursions are easy to grab right at the port, lots to do

Your In Laws will no doubt prefer the Eastern Ports..better for sightseeing

I always like to mix it up

the 18 year old question will be the same no matter which ship/ports you choose

18 year olds seem to be in a limbo...can gamble, can go in the disco but can't drink alcohol

(of course they can drink on all the islands LOL)

Another vote here for the Legend. Haven't been on her but have been on her sisters, the Conquest and Glory. Have been on the Dream and would not sail on that class again. Way too many people and didn't like it not having the tiered layout around the pool. The only thing I liked about the Dream was the Drain Pipe water slide.

Have done both as well and loved both. The Dream seems more fun for kids, but the Legend is definitely less crowded. More food options on the Dream--and the water slides are definitely better on Dream.

I agree about sailing on the Legend over the Dream. I did not like the Dream and will never sail on her again or any of her sister ships...too impersonal, too big, too many lines, too crowded. The Legend, in my opinion, offers a better cruise experience overall.

My grandson has been sailing with me since he was very young and is now 21 years old. He never participated in the children's programs or teen programs on any of the ships. He is a gamer, always packs his game gear and is very happy hanging out on deck, going on the water slides, likes trivia and the shows, snorkels, etc. Cruising with my grandson provides us with the quality time we miss out on in our everyday lives because he does not live near me.

We have snorkeled in Belize, traveled to Tulum to see the ruins, swam with the stingrays in Grand Cayman and spent a great day at Tabyana Beach in Roatan.

Another vote here for the Legend. Haven't been on her but have been on her sisters, the Conquest and Glory. Have been on the Dream and would not sail on that class again. Way too many people and didn't like it not having the tiered layout around the pool. The only thing I liked about the Dream was the Drain Pipe water slide.

Accurate info is important....the Conquest and Glory are NOT the "sister" ships to the Legend. They are "Conquest" class...Legend is Spirit Class along with Miracle and Pride and of course Spirit

They are different layouts and design and size

The Conquest Class (and Destiny etc) are the only ones with the "tiered" pool

Dream is "Dream" class....the following Magic and new Breeze are variations on the Dream class build

Legend all the way. Best ship in the fleet!

BTW...Its moving to London in 2013

Ummm.....no it is moving to Europe for the Summer...it will be back in Tampa for the winter season

does anyone check their facts before they post??

From Carnival Website>>>

Following its European schedule, the ship will operate another 15-day transatlantic crossing from Barcelona to Tampa Nov. 12-27, 2013, calling at Palma de Mallorca and Malaga, Spain; Funchal (Madeira), Portugal; Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands; and the private Bahamian island of Half Moon Cay.

From Tampa, Carnival Legend will sail on a special four-day cruise before resuming seven-day Caribbean service Dec. 1, 2013. The week-long cruises call at George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico; Mahogany Bay, Roatan; and Belize City, Belize.

Accurate info is important....the Conquest and Glory are NOT the "sister" ships to the Legend. They are "Conquest" class...Legend is Spirit Class along with Miracle and Pride and of course Spirit

They are different layouts and design and size

The Conquest Class (and Destiny etc) are the only ones with the "tiered" pool

Dream is "Dream" class....the following Magic and new Breeze are variations on the Dream class build

You are absolutely correct. And so is being polite. There are ways to say things without being so sarcastic. I made a mistake...so shoot me and get it over with.

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting thread. My DW is freaking out over the sometimes AWFUL reviews of the Dream and the crowds issue. We are leaving late September and she wants me to switch to the Legend and it's only one day later. If the Dream is such a nightmare, why did CCL waste the money? The large RCCL ships haven't got the crowding issues, but as has been stated, they cost 200 pp more. Any advice?

I'm booked on the Legend for February 24, 2013, and I cannot wait! I have never been on the Dream, but my mother sailed her this past February and said NEVER AGAIN would she sail on a ship this large. She agreed with the others that did not like it in that it was too crowded, too many lines, very impersonal and the service was terrible. She said the food was the worst she has ever experienced on a Carnival cruise.

We have done both and loved them both for different reasons:

Legend:

Less crowded

Sleeker

More "relaxed"

easier to get around on

Dream:

more activities

more options

better water slides

Best shows I've ever seen at sea

If you are the type that wants to hang out at the pool and relax, go Legend. Want to be on the go non-stop (me) and don't mind alot of people Dream is the way to go.

Just my .02

I love the Dream! It was my families second cruise. We did the Western ports and I didn't care for them too much. But I see for your cruise Dream will be doing the Eastern route, I would do that. I have been to the Bahamas a few times and LOVE it! For some reason the water in the Bahamas is the prettiest I have seen. I didn't get the same vibe in Western. We are doing Eastern next year on the Dream and I already cannot wait! And for your inlaws, if it is their first, it may help to do Eastern, you are closer to land? We did the Bahamas our first cruise, as I was nervous to take said cruise and it was easy!

If I had to choose between the Legend and the Dream, I would go on the Legend. We sailed on the Dream last year. It seemed like the staff was over worked. They did a great job, but the service was not what we had on the Legend. I took my first cruise on the Legend five years ago. It was the best vacation that I had ever been on. We are sailing on the Legend for the third time this Sunday. I plan to sail on her every other year.

I am back on the Legend this Sunday as well. Our last cruise on the Legend was great and really no complaints. We loved the Western ports, booked private excursions, and never felt overcrowded. I am taking my DH, DD and her friend on this cruise so it will be a different experience and I can't wait.

Legend all the way. Best ship in the fleet!

BTW...Its moving to London in 2013

BWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! Do you know which ship might replace her?

I vote Legend as well. I like the itinerary better. It's an easy ship to find your way around on too.

Going under the Skyway is your first excursion and it's free!

It's official we are booked on the Legend for December! Yahoo!! Thanks to everyone for their input! I of course am wayyyy excited! Just counting down the days now. It's always nice to have something like a nice vacation to look forward to! :D

Archived