Lobster lunch in Halifax

Depends on the day in September how many cruise ships are in Port. Not sure what you had planned for the day but you could tour Halifax in the AM and then head out which would be after the main crowds?

Good Thought! We will arrive 9/10/12 with 2 other ships for a total of 9000 people. We have until 4pm so it would work in the afternoon.

Thanks

Dave

I think reversing your day would be a good idea. However, be sure to allow lots of time to get back, at least two hours.

If you leave Halifax in the late morning you could drop in at Acadian Maple, have lunch at Ryers, tour Peggy's Cove and go back to finish your time in Halifax. Be sure to book your car.

I went to Peggy's Cove two weeks ago for the first time in a few years. There were no cruise ships in port but there were several tour busses there. They did not stay long so I am guessing it would be quieter in the afternoon.

I think reversing your day would be a good idea. However, be sure to allow lots of time to get back, at least two hours.

If you leave Halifax in the late morning you could drop in at Acadian Maple, have lunch at Ryers, tour Peggy's Cove and go back to finish your time in Halifax. Be sure to book your car.

I went to Peggy's Cove two weeks ago for the first time in a few years. There were no cruise ships in port but there were several tour busses there. They did not stay long so I am guessing it would be quieter in the afternoon.

Thanks! I thought I read that the driving time was 30min to Peggy's Cove.

I was going to try to find another couple to tour with when on the ship.

I am sure we can find a cab at $45/hr to give us a 3hr tour. If the drive is longer, I need to know.

Dave

Thanks! I thought I read that the driving time was 30min to Peggy's Cove.

I was going to try to find another couple to tour with when on the ship.

I am sure we can find a cab at $45/hr to give us a 3hr tour. If the drive is longer, I need to know.

Dave

Three hours is more than enough time to visit Peggy's Cove and have lobster lunch if that is your plan. I am sure Maryann was referring to total time which also depends on how long you want to stay at Peggy's.!!!:D

The Sugar Shack is nothing special if you miss, I am sure you have been to lots of Maple Syrup spots on the US east coast!!!.

I was allowing for contingencies if you are renting a car. Here are the google maps with timing: http://*******/maps/IAHfy

http://*******/maps/xNVFn

It takes an hour without stopping or problems to get there whichever route you take.

I looked at google maps today and it indicates a driving time of one hour. Many websites indicate 30 minutes. We would have to extend the trip to 3.5-4 hrs to accomplish our stops. I will have to see if I can find some interest in a taxi for this tour

Dave

I looked at google maps today and it indicates a driving time of one hour. Many websites indicate 30 minutes. We would have to extend the trip to 3.5-4 hrs to accomplish our stops. I will have to see if I can find some interest in a taxi for this tour

Dave

It actually takes about 45mins barring traffic etc. from Downtown, some maybe measuring from another point you have to go through Halifax for the road to Peggy's. As mentioned in an earlier post we did this last year with Halifax Cruise Ship Taxi Tours and had wonderful tour our guide was Richard 902-240-8476 you could try him and see if he's not already booked but if so I am sure there are others. Good luck.

It actually takes about 45mins barring traffic etc. from Downtown, some maybe measuring from another point you have to go through Halifax for the road to Peggy's. As mentioned in an earlier post we did this last year with Halifax Cruise Ship Taxi Tours and had wonderful tour our guide was Richard 902-240-8476 you could try him and see if he's not already booked but if so I am sure there are others. Good luck.

Ok! I now have another couple for this tour. I plan to find a Taxi about 10 am for a 4hr trip including lunch at Reyer's. Is it going to be difficult finding a taxi at that time of day? I guess we could contact one on our arrival and arrange for the tour. We are not in a position to order a taxi until we arrive.

Dave

Ok! I now have another couple for this tour. I plan to find a Taxi about 10 am for a 4hr trip including lunch at Reyer's. Is it going to be difficult finding a taxi at that time of day? I guess we could contact one on our arrival and arrange for the tour. We are not in a position to order a taxi until we arrive.

Dave

In view of the fact you mentioned 2 other ships in port that day, I just called a couple of tour companies they suggested to call or email them to book ahead of time they said most do not require deposit just name and time of pick up. Appreciate confirmation day before.

In view of the fact you mentioned 2 other ships in port that day, I just called a couple of tour companies they suggested to call or email them to book ahead of time they said most do not require deposit just name and time of pick up. Appreciate confirmation day before.

Thanks! As I don't know the other couple, we will have to play the trip by ear! I will try to contact a taxi as we debark around 8am to arrange a pickup. I would hate to book something and have to cancel! I don't believe that is fair to the taxi driver.

One way or another we will love our time in Halifax

Thanks for all the advice

Dave

Has anybody eaten at the Old Fish Factory in Lunenberg ?? What do you think?? My husband & I r going to be there Oct. 1st .. Thanks for any input ..

Angela

Love the Old Fish Factory in Lunenburg. Menu is wonderful and the fish is very fresh right off the docks.

• 2 weeks later...

When ordering lobster at Ryers Seafood do they provide crackers and picks? I saw a recent post that they charge $9/lb this summer! Is this in the ballpark? What time of day is best to avoid crowds. We have 3 ships in port on our Monday arrival.

Thanks

Dave

Re Crackers and picks, yes and they have most open for you and yes your pricing is about right a little less $8.50 a few weeks ago. ideally late morning is always best for lunch anywhere to miss the crowds but i am sure like anywhere it varies not everybody wants to eat lobster and some prefer restaurant style!!!

I can only assume from the glowing reviews that the lobster is served in such a way that you can eat it. $9 seems reasonable and way less than a restaurant. You are paying for the cooking, service, table, etc.

To avoid crowds, I would guess the later the better. But do allow enough time to get back to your ship. If your ship leaves later than the other two that would work very well.

• 2 months later...

Archived