Documentation question

mamajo3304

One of members of our little group has been married and divorced and took back her maiden name. If she chooses not to go the passport route, what documentation does she need to bring? Since she went back to her birth certificate name, would she need to bring the divorce certificate? I had a passport so I didn't have to worry about paperwork, so I am clueless. oh and we are going to Mexico.

Thanks for the help

Why go the passport route when the other options can be so exciting ;)

I don't mean to sound flippant, but a passport is 100% accepted. There is no guessing, no worrying if the seal is correct and so on. I know they're not inexpensive, but to us it is cheap insurance.

Why go the passport route when the other options can be so exciting ;)

I don't mean to sound flippant, but a passport is 100% accepted. There is no guessing, no worrying if the seal is correct and so on. I know they're not inexpensive, but to us it is cheap insurance.

I was going to say the same thing. Almost everyone I know in Canada has a passport, but USA'sians seem to have an outright phobia of the little blue book.

One of members of our little group has been married and divorced and took back her maiden name. If she chooses not to go the passport route, what documentation does she need to bring? Since she went back to her birth certificate name, would she need to bring the divorce certificate? I had a passport so I didn't have to worry about paperwork, so I am clueless. oh and we are going to Mexico.

Thanks for the help

I'm going to assume since she took her maiden name back, then that is what is on her drivers license, which is what would be on her BC so she should be good to go as long as she has the proper certified BC and not a hospital copy~ if she's unsure she can get one here~ http://www.vitalchek.com/

Not everyone wants a PP~ I have one only because I was born outside the US and if I ever lost all my paperwork it would be a PITA to replace~ my husband does not have a passport as he DOES NOT FLY~ and will not ever fly! So for him to get one would be a waste of money~

I'm going to assume since she took her maiden name back, then that is what is on her drivers license, which is what would be on her BC so she should be good to go as long as she has the proper certified BC and not a hospital copy~ if she's unsure she can get one here~ http://www.vitalchek.com/

Not everyone wants a PP~ I have one only because I was born outside the US and if I ever lost all my paperwork it would be a PITA to replace~ my husband does not have a passport as he DOES NOT FLY~ and will not ever fly! So for him to get one would be a waste of money~

Do a search for people denied boarding for not having an acceptable I.D.. When you find one with a valid U.S. passport, I will happily buy you a drink the next time we're sail together :):

I was going to say the same thing. Almost everyone I know in Canada has a passport, but USA'sians seem to have an outright phobia of the little blue book.

Really? I actually know very few people (Americans) who don't have passports, even my DD who's a teenager has one. I got my first passport when I was 17. :p I can see where you'd think that though if you read CC much.

$10 for the photo, an $75(standard delivery) to $125 (expedited 24 hour personal pickup) and its only good for 5 years. But its worth it knowing i can up and go to pretty much anywhere in the world on a whim!

An adult passport book is valid for 10 years, while a child passport book is valid for 5 years.

Do a search for people denied boarding for not having an acceptable I.D.. When you find one with a valid U.S. passport, I will happily buy you a drink the next time we're sail together :):

I personally don't care if other people get a PP or not~ We have the required documentation needed to board a cruise ship at this time, and until they change the requirements my husband will board the ship with a BC & ID~ as he has done on the 10 other cruises he's been on. Because as I stated he does not fly, at all~ so he has no need for a pp~ :D But thanks for the drink offer~ :D

Thanks for the help

I did this on my first cruise which I took after my divorce - sort of - I had taken back my maiden name and had changed my DL but I did not have enough time to change PP. I used my PP to board the ship and I carried the official court document that showed my name change back to maiden name.

If she has changed her DL to reflect her "new" maiden name then she does not need anything else because in this case the DL, Photo ID can reservation name all match

If she has NOT changed her name yet on her DL then she should bring along the original document from the court which shows the name change.

Thanks for the help

I would. I always bring my marriage license with me since my last name is my maiden name on my birth certificate your better safe than sorry.

I personally don't care if other people get a PP or not~ We have the required documentation needed to board a cruise ship at this time, and until they change the requirements my husband will board the ship with a BC & ID~ as he has done on the 10 other cruises he's been on. Because as I stated he does not fly, at all~ so he has no need for a pp~ :D But thanks for the drink offer~ :D

I dont care either, the threads are amazing at what lengths and chances people will take just to avoid getting a passport.

I never implied there was anything wrong with your husbands I.D., but if people did not have trouble, there would be no threads on the subject, andthere are. Remember the OP is the person that has the concerns. I 'm sorry, I miss what flying has to do with the subject. We don't fly for most of our cruises.

Some of threads have issues with the "civil servants" not having the same understanding of the requirements as the poster. As the ship sails away, by God, they know that B.C. of theirs meets the requirements. :D

There are few issues on the boards as easily solved as this. If someone has any doubt at all, just get a passport. If they choose not to and have an issue, it is no ones fault but their own. :)

Flying and passports have nothing to do with each other if you're not leaving the country. You can get to a lot of foreign countries via ship from the U.S. depending on how much time and money you have...so getting a passport is really only logical.

I've had one since I was about five and IME experience Americans are certainly NOT "phobic" about getting passports. It's certainly easier just to carry the little blue book around rather than worrying about having the proper BC and a government-issued photo ID.

IME experience Americans are certainly NOT "phobic" about getting passports. It's certainly easier just to carry the little blue book around rather than worrying about having the proper BC and a government-issued photo ID.

There are more than a few folks on these boards that seem to go to great lengths to avoid getting one ..... I don't know what the reason is. :confused:

What happens if your DH gets hurt in another country and has to fly back home?

Could happen. no passport no plane home!Might want to think about that.

In Canada it's 5 years -- got mine renewed in 2011 and it's good to 2016.

Americans get a much better deal.

It's only a "much better deal" if the cost is the same. What do you pay for the 5 years?

I think the reason most Americans don't have passports is because they don't travel outside of the United States. Some people don't have any interest in foreign travel and many people in the U.S. don't have the money for foreign travel. Clearly those of us on these boards do not fall into either of those groups, but a lot of Americans do. It makes little sense (e.g. economically) for them to have a passport and we shouldn't berate them for that choice. However, if I were going on a cruise, even if I did not technically need a passport, I would get one.

In my own experience, I did not get a passport until I married a Foreign Service Officer and was on my way to our first posting. I was the first member of my family to ever have a passport. (Dad didn't need one to go to the Pacific in WWII!)

Archived