3rd Person Cancellation Question

texas34

We are scheduled to cruise in August. Our son is the 3rd person in our room. The cruise was booked over a year ago before he was in college. When I booked, I thought college classes did not start until after we would return. Now he told me that he would have to miss the 2nd week of school. We will not receive a refund if we cancel since the cost for him as the 3rd person was only $247 and we are in the timeframe where we would lose the deposit. My question - should we cancel now or have him talk to his teachers and see how much it would affect him if he missed classes that week and then if he realy can't miss have him be a no-show. How do you handle a no-show if that is what we need to do? If he is a no-show, is he still charged gratuities?

I vote no-show for a few reasons. You are in a room that accomodates at least 3 people, and "could" get bumped into a different cabin if you cancel him. Also, there is probably going to be a $50 penalty on top of losing the cruise fair. No show is just so much easier.

No, gratuities won't be charged for him. To handle a no-show you just go to the port and check in SEPARATELY. With you each having your own boarding pass you don't even have to say anything unless/until they ask, then you tell them he couldn't make it to the ship.

I vote no-show for a few reasons. You are in a room that accomodates at least 3 people, and "could" get bumped into a different cabin if you cancel him. Also, there is probably going to be a $50 penalty on top of losing the cruise fair. No show is just so much easier.

I have never heard of this $50 penalty??, no such thing.

OP already knows the cancellation terms, 50% or deposit, whichever is more $$$.

OP if he is a no show, he will NOT be charged tips .. and after the cruise, the credit card that paid for his booking will automatically be refunded the add on taxes and fees. You dont need to do a thing, it is done automatically if he does not show up.

If you want him to be a no show .. just do nothing. Dont say anything to anyone, do not cancel, at the pier, tell them he is behind you (I told them my sister was going to be a no show at the pier after my PVP warned me to not tell, and it locked up my booking for 20 minutes and the rep had to input my booking from scratch).

Just do nothing.

Thanks for the input! If his older sister was able to get off work for that week, would it be possible to switch his booking to her? If so, how far in advance would it need to be done?

Depending on where he goes to college, they probably won't even know he is not in class. He can get notes from classmates. I only say this because I am a college professor. I have around 80 students in each class and after the first week of class I don't know every student in my class. But, if he thinks he can't get reliable notes or is afraid of falling behind, then he should stay at school and you can count him as a no show.

Thanks for the input! If his older sister was able to get off work for that week, would it be possible to switch his booking to her? If so, how far in advance would it need to be done?

I reread your original post and dont see what rate you booked.

ES, early saver, no name changes. Its one of the many reasons to be careful of this fare.

Any other fare, yes, for $50 you can switch people. I think you could get it thru up to 2 days before the cruise, but I would not call it that close.

Depends on what fare you booked, yes or no.

PS I was booked ES .. thats why we did the No Show. I knew people who would have taken her place otherwise.

I have never heard of this $50 penalty??, no such thing.

OP already knows the cancellation terms, 50% or deposit, whichever is more $$$.

OP if he is a no show, he will NOT be charged tips .. and after the cruise, the credit card that paid for his booking will automatically be refunded the add on taxes and fees. You dont need to do a thing, it is done automatically if he does not show up.

If you want him to be a no show .. just do nothing. Dont say anything to anyone, do not cancel, at the pier, tell them he is behind you (I told them my sister was going to be a no show at the pier after my PVP warned me to not tell, and it locked up my booking for 20 minutes and the rep had to input my booking from scratch).

Just do nothing.

I stand corrected.

Ive heard of a $50 penalty ONLY if your booked on early saver than you would get $200 back for a future cruise, but you are already passed that point.

Just do nothing. If they ask tell them that his friend is dropping him off or something but do not tell them he isnt going to show. The only thing I do see happening is they might page you on the ship to go to guest services if he is under 21 since you are responsible for him.

If you didnt book early saver you are able to transfer the name. I did it with 3 weeks left.

As far as college. Make sure he sees the rules the professor has. Sometimes if you miss more days than the credit hours your grade can be lowered by 1 letter grade and even some universities have a general rule that if you miss more 2 days for a 3 credit class or 3 days for a 4 credit class it is a automatic F.

You can also suggest what I did, but dont recommend it because you are the parents and are encouraging education lol, if it is a really big lecture class make friends with the guy next to you and have him sign you in. **note this doesnt work for smaller classrooms as the teacher puts a name to the face and they call attendance instead of having them sign in**

I miss college :rolleyes:

We did not book ES. His main concern is that he will have a test or quiz the week after school starts & not be able to make it up. He shoud get the syllabus the first day of class so he should know what that week holds.

We did not book ES. His main concern is that he will have a test or quiz the week after school starts & not be able to make it up. He shoud get the syllabus the first day of class so he should know what that week holds.

Then for $50 you can do a name change .. good news.

A test the 2nd week of school..very unlikely. Maybe a paper or a possible quiz if he is taking a English course but he can do it on the ship and pay 5$ to submit it because im pretty sure he has a laptop.

The 1st week is adjust mode and the 2nd week is when they start actually learning.

Archived