When Embarkation is Day 2 of the cruise?

Azulann

Looking at a Med. cruise on the Constellation for Oct 19 2013.

Day 1 is Istanbul, Day 2 is Istanbul leaving port at 5pm.

Can one board the ship on day one around noon, have lunch and then get off ship and explore Istanbul returning in the late evening?

Then have more touring on day two before sailway ?

I would want to have three days in Istanbul, this itinerary appears to save me one night in a hotel on shore.

Looking at a Med. cruise on the Constellation for Oct 19 2013.

Day 1 is Istanbul, Day 2 is Istanbul leaving port at 5pm.

Can one board the ship on day one around noon, have lunch and then get off ship and explore Istanbul returning in the late evening?

Then have more touring on day two before sailway ?

I would want to have three days in Istanbul, this itinerary appears to save me one night in a hotel on shore.

Yes, the overnight in the port before the cruise departs acts like a night in a hotel. We did this several years ago in Venice. Folks were able to tour both days if desired.

Enjoy Istanbul,

Yes, you can do this.

This is why a cruise ship does an over night port stay at the beginning of a cruise which provides a port day at the embarkation location.

The normal embarkation day is still on day 1 but one could also embark on day 2 if that need should arise.

We've also been on cruises that have an over night stay at the end of the cruise which provides a port day before the last or disembarkation day.

Thanks to both of you for your quick responses.

Will factor this information into the total cost of my vacation.

We plan to fly into Istanbul two days before "day one "of the cruise.

Have a long list of things to see and do in Istanbul.:)

Thanks to both of you for your quick responses.

Will factor this information into the total cost of my vacation.

We plan to fly into Istanbul two days before "day one "of the cruise.

Have a long list of things to see and do in Istanbul.:)

From our experience - you will need the extra days. A very interesting city with absolutely crazy and I mean crazy traffic. Itching to go back too! Enjoy.

2MC

Yes-consider it your hotel for days 1 and 2.

We did exactly that on our cruise last fall. In fact the dock in Istanbul is a five minute walk to the tram-which will give you access to all points in the City. Watch out for the cab drivers at the port...they are bandits!

Istanbul is a wonderful city. We have been there a few times and still have not seen everything. Try to go a few days early or spend a few post cruise days in the city.

Istanbul is a amazing city.We just returned from a Eastern Med cruise that overnighted in Istanbul. We absolutely fell in love with Turkey. It is a beautiful country with lovely people. We would love to go back on a land trip and explore areas not available from a cruise ship.

letsgo,

Same with me. I did a Eastern Med. last fall and only stopped at Ephesus. Was amazed and loved everythiing about Turkey.

Have priced out a land trip, but right now like the cruise idea with a precruise stay. Less in and out of hotels. I would like to fly to Cappadocia during our precruise stay for overnight and tour.

Archived