La Bombonera closing ?

Marylandteachergirl

Please let it open between now and March 30th!!!! Is that a possibility or were the renovations major? I sure loved the local, quaint feeling of the old place, but as long as the Mallorcas and OJ are the same, I will be a happy girl!! What good news...Thanks for sharing! Lauri

• 1 month later...

Just back from OSJ last night & from the reccomendations here we just hit the smaller kiosk. The coffees and the Mayorcas were excellent! And inexpensive. These pics from yesterday AM. There is a much larger kiosk near the gazebo, we ordered from this one, the smaller of the two...

8689649173_ab96ebf6bd_b.jpg

DSC02838 by snokeldawgs, on Flickr

8690777376_d754e36c9f_b.jpg

DSC02837 by snokeldawgs, on Flickr

Thanks for the tips and advice on Mayorcas! :)

Dawg

I found a few articles that said they will re-open in June or July of 2013...I guess we will just have to go back again! Lauri

This is good news! I will be there in August and will be sure to report back! :)

Btw, I remember seeing that smaller kiosk in the plaza before, but we did not eat there. We went to cafe Mallorca instead. We found the service and food to be good, but perhaps we were there on a good day. If La Bombanera is not open by the time we go, we'll go to the kiosk. :)

I was just in San Juan last week. There is construction action at the regular site.....supposed to be reopening at some point but no one seems to know when. As an alternative, try the Cafe Mallora, also on San Francisco, with a similar menu.

• 3 months later...
Just back from OSJ last night & from the reccomendations here we just hit the smaller kiosk. The coffees and the Mayorcas were excellent! And inexpensive. These pics from yesterday AM. There is a much larger kiosk near the gazebo, we ordered from this one, the smaller of the two...

8689649173_ab96ebf6bd_b.jpg

DSC02838 by snokeldawgs, on Flickr

8690777376_d754e36c9f_b.jpg

DSC02837 by snokeldawgs, on Flickr

Thanks for the tips and advice on Mayorcas! :)

Dawg

How far are the kiosks from the ship, is it an easy walk? Can you give me walking directions?

Yes it's a pretty easy walk I estimate 7-8 blocks from pier #1. I see you cruise on Carnival, not sure what pier they dock at? If they dock at pier 2, 3, or 4 it will be a little farther walk, but still very doable

From Pier #1 you would exit ship and turn left once off the pier. Turn right and walk on Tanca St. or keep walking and turn right on San Justo St. You will go across Recinto St, then across Tetuan St, then across Fortaleza St, and at San Francisco St you'll turn left. You'll walk 2 blocks & be at the De Armas Plaza. There are 2 green colored kiosks, one at each end of the plaza. There is a large fountain in the middle.

Here's a link to a map of Old San Juan

http://wikitravel.org/en/File:OldSanJuanMap.png

Archived