Please help me choose beach break!

1stTimeCruiser2008

We will be in Costa Maya in early Feb 2013 (NCL Dawn). We're looking for a fairly inexpensive beach day. We're ok with an AI; however, only 2 out of our party of 7 drink alcohol so I'm not sure if the AI's are worth it. I've done A LOT of research on here but I haven't seen too many reviews with pictures.

This will be our 2nd Carribbean Cruise...the only other beach break we've done is Paradise Beach in Cozumel. We LOVED it. I didn't care for the sea grass but we were able to enjoy the pool and the food was excellent!

Here's what we're looking for...I'm hoping all of you can help!

• I love crystal blue water and white sand beaches...w/o too much sea grass if possible (so I'm hesitant to go to Maya Chan??)
  • I don't like a lot of crowds (So not sure if Tropicante would be good??)
  • We don't snorkel so that's not a factor...we don't even really swim too much in the ocean...just love lounging in the sun/shade enjoying the view, warm weather and yummy food.
  • My DD10 loves playing in the sand (Is the Nahoch Kay beach big enough? Maybe Maya Chan would be good for her...)
  • My DS15 would like to fish but I think we have to book a separate excursion for that...it'd be nice if there was a pier he go to and just rent a pole and bait...I know that's probably asking for too much;).

It's so hard to find something ideal for everyone. I guess ultimately it will come down to what I want to do since I'm the only planner in the group:D

Thanks for your help!

Robin

We will be in Costa Maya in early Feb 2013 (NCL Dawn). We're looking for a fairly inexpensive beach day. We're ok with an AI; however, only 2 out of our party of 7 drink alcohol so I'm not sure if the AI's are worth it. I've done A LOT of research on here but I haven't seen too many reviews with pictures.

This will be our 2nd Carribbean Cruise...the only other beach break we've done is Paradise Beach in Cozumel. We LOVED it. I didn't care for the sea grass but we were able to enjoy the pool and the food was excellent!

Here's what we're looking for...I'm hoping all of you can help!

• I love crystal blue water and white sand beaches...w/o too much sea grass if possible (so I'm hesitant to go to Maya Chan??)
  • I don't like a lot of crowds (So not sure if Tropicante would be good??)
  • We don't snorkel so that's not a factor...we don't even really swim too much in the ocean...just love lounging in the sun/shade enjoying the view, warm weather and yummy food.
  • My DD10 loves playing in the sand (Is the Nahoch Kay beach big enough? Maybe Maya Chan would be good for her...)
  • My DS15 would like to fish but I think we have to book a separate excursion for that...it'd be nice if there was a pier he go to and just rent a pole and bait...I know that's probably asking for too much;).

It's so hard to find something ideal for everyone. I guess ultimately it will come down to what I want to do since I'm the only planner in the group:D

Thanks for your help!

Robin

Hi Robin! We went to Maya Chan last year and found it to be wonderful with good food & great service, but the sea grass was pretty terrible. We didn't get in the water at all. We're booked at a new place for November 2012 called Almaplena Beach Resort. It looks amazing with lots of beach area, palapas, a reef not too far off the beach to snorkle (bring your own gear), with lunch, drinks & taxi ride included. If you email Monica at info@almaplenabeachresort.com, ask her about a non-alcoholic rate, which I believe they offer upon request. The reviews on this place are fantastic! And while sea grass is an issue everywhere in Costa Maya, the reviews show that Almaplena really does look like paradise! And they only allow a maximum of 20 people per day! I hope you find exactly what you are looking for, and I'll post my reviews when I get back! Blessings, Cindy

We went to Maya Chan 9 months ago and it was wonderful. Everyone on here loves it. However, we did find the water to be a bit murky/brownish (not your normal "Caribbean" water). I'm not sure if it's always like that or just because it had rained several days in a row before we got there. I could show you my review along with tons of pictures if you are interested. Just know that their food is so yummy and you don't necessarily have to drink alcohol. You can get the virgin style or soda...all you can drink. :)

We have also decided to go with Almaplena this time around (not because we didn't love Maya Chan, just want to experience something different and a different part of Costa Maya). It's a new resort that just opened in January and so far the reviews are wonderful. They only accept 20 people each day and it is an AI. The beach looks wonderful and the water looks crystal clear blue. They do have snorkeling from the beach there a little ways out (but I know you said that wasn't something you cared about). You might want to check it out. :)

Archived