New York/Car seats for kids

Aosborn

My husband and two kids ages 3yo and 18 months will be flying to New York in September to cruise on the Carnival Glory. My question is should be take the kid's car seats with us or leave them at home? We will be be staying in Time square for two days before the cruise departs and one day after it arrives back. I wasn't sure what the best way to transfer the kids around the city and to and from the cruise port. Has anyone had any experience with this or can you lend some suggestions. I wasn't sure if taking the car seats would be needed or more of a headache to try and get cabs etc to take them with us.

The following is from http://www.nyc.com/visitor_guide/taxis.75827/editorial_review.aspx

Many people enquire as to what the rules are regarding child safety seats and seatbelts in taxicabs. Officially, drivers of yellow medallion taxicabs and for-hire vehicles and their passengers are exempt from laws regarding car seats and seatbelts. While the Taxi and Limousine Commission encourages everyone in the vehicle to buckle their seatbelts while riding in a cab, there are no rules regarding this. Hence, infants may ride in any taxi at a parent's discretion. Of course, passengers with children are encouraged to bring their own car seats, which the drivers must allow passengers to install. Note that children under the age of seven are permitted to sit on an adult's lap, but that this is considered inadequate by safety experts in case of an accident. Our advice is if you will be taking cabs with a small infant, bring a car seat.

Legally yes the kids can go in taxis without a car seat but safety wise it is no different then driving in a car with them at home unrestrained. Only each family can make the decision that is right for them and their children.

I have family that used a car service called Legends Limo to/from JFK airport and Manhattan that provided car seats for the kids. I am not sure about cost, but I am sure it was somewhat reasonable or they wouldn't have done it. I think the car service itself is pretty standard price -- not much more than a taxi. But there's probably an upcharge for the car seats. To get around the city, they mostly used the subway, brought along the stroller and the kids loved it. So it's defintely do-able without car seats.

I am not an expert on this so you'll probably want to do more research and get opinions from folks with more experience.

The laws of physics apply while you are on vacation too. Sadly, accidents can happened during that couple of times that you let your child ride unrestrained in a moving vehicle. I cannot imagine trying to rationalize regrets to myself afterwards. Yes taking the carseats will be an inconvenience, however to me, it is one that is totally worthwhile.

Unless you can take public transportation (I.e. bus, subway), take your own car seats. I am a certified car start technician in Ontario, and take my seats everywhere. As previous posters have said, the laws of physics don't change because you are on vacation. It is possible to bring seats for two young children, you just need a plan and the right equipment. Plus you know how to use your seats properly, which you can't always say about borrowed seats. Plus the cab/hired car company may run out, provide recalled/expired/broken/filthy seats which you won't know how to install because they didn't have the manual.

Seats that have a built in lock-off can be installed in almost any scenario.

We are cruising out of NYC in 2014 and our booster and car seat will be with us.

The laws of probability apply, as well as the laws of physics. And the laws of probability say that if you're carrying a car seat, you have fewer hands available to look after the child, hence a greater chance of the child being run over. It's swings and roundabouts really, but the chances of a high speed crash in Manhattan, at least, are nil.

The laws of probability apply, as well as the laws of physics. And the laws of probability say that if you're carrying a car seat, you have fewer hands available to look after the child, hence a greater chance of the child being run over. It's swings and roundabouts really, but the chances of a high speed crash in Manhattan, at least, are nil.

WOW! Totally out of line in response to the OP's question.

To OP we travel extensively with DD's car seat. Britax makes a wonderful wheeled rack for car seats. It fits almost all seats on the market, we have evenflo Seat. The seat is secured to the rack by the LATCH and top teather.

In DD travels at 18 months old she has flown more than 20 flights and has never been run over including at least 6 trips to NYC driving. She is secured in her car seat on the wheeled rack through the airport or is secured in her stroller while I install her Carseat. If she is in her stroller we use a bungee cord and attach her diaper bag, duffle bag, etc to her seat and wheel them through the airport or into hotels.

Our other must have while traveling is our ergo. We can wear DD while we are hands free to get luggage, move things around, etc. DH and I decide based on the situation the best method for accomplishing the tasks. The ergo goes in DDs diaperbag.

To OP we travel extensively with DD's car seat. Britax makes a wonderful wheeled rack for car seats. It fits almost all seats on the market, we have evenflo Seat. The seat is secured to the rack by the LATCH and top teather.

In DD travels at 18 months old she has flown more than 20 flights and has never been run over including at least 6 trips to NYC driving. She is secured in her car seat on the wheeled rack through the airport or is secured in her stroller while I install her Carseat. If she is in her stroller we use a bungee cord and attach her diaper bag, duffle bag, etc to her seat and wheel them through the airport or into hotels.

Our other must have while traveling is our ergo. We can wear DD while we are hands free to get luggage, move things around, etc. DH and I decide based on the situation the best method for accomplishing the tasks. The ergo goes in DDs diaperbag.

Out of line? Why? Do you mean out of line as in not answering the question, or out of line as in a bit naughty? :confused:

It does not take a high speed crash to kill an unrestrained child.

"Children aged under four are ten times more likely to be killed in a car accident if unrestrained.

90% of injuries could be avoided if child restraints are used correctly.

An accident at only 5mph can kill an unrestrained child.

In a 30mph crash, an unrestrained child can be thrown forward with a force 30 to 60 times their body weight.

Unrestrained children are much more likely to be ejected through the car window in the event of an accident."

When it comes to the life and well being of a child, there is no room for taking chances.

It does not take a high speed crash to kill an unrestrained child.

"Children aged under four are ten times more likely to be killed in a car accident if unrestrained.

90% of injuries could be avoided if child restraints are used correctly.

An accident at only 5mph can kill an unrestrained child.

In a 30mph crash, an unrestrained child can be thrown forward with a force 30 to 60 times their body weight.

Unrestrained children are much more likely to be ejected through the car window in the event of an accident."

When it comes to the life and well being of a child, there is no room for taking chances.

When spending a couple of days sightseeing in New York, it's a mistake to think that a car crash is the only danger to a child.

The point is, there are two sorts of dangers to consider.

1. If you don't carry 2 child seats, then there is an increased probability of the children getting hurt in the taxi.

2. If you do carry 2 child seats, there is an increased probability of the children coming to harm while you're struggling with them.

It's a good deal easier to keep tabs on 2 children if you aren't lugging 2 child seats with you. And if you're keeping a better eye on the children, they're less likely to get lost, walk into the road, or get carted off by a stranger. The OP, along with everyone else, can no doubt assess the risks and decide which risk is more significant.

FWIW You NEVER see parents who live in NYC using car seats in taxis.

IMO this country has gone overboard with the safety issues.

IMO, I dont think its possible to go "overboard" when it comes to the safety of their child in a moving vehicle. I'm going to guess that you dont have children?

You are correct, when i lived in NYC i rarely saw parents with carseats in taxis. Maybe once ever. And even then, when i was childless, i thought it was very odd. And now that i have kids I think that they must be crazy.

IMO, I dont think its possible to go "overboard" when it comes to the safety of their child in a moving vehicle. I'm going to guess that you dont have children?

You are correct, when i lived in NYC i rarely saw parents with carseats in taxis. Maybe once ever. And even then, when i was childless, i thought it was very odd. And now that i have kids I think that they must be crazy.

Actually I do have children. I never thought it odd because everyone I knew survived childhood without the amount of safety equipment there is today.

Am I against child seats? No. But for a cab ride or two you will live without them and that what the gist of the OP question.

I think i would feel a little more relaxed if it were just in the city but from the airport to the pier there are highways and such. Not to mention the drivers. Oh, the drivers!

I agree -- the ride to/from the airport would be scariest to me. That's why why I suggested using a car service that offers car seats. The service I mentioned provides professionally installed seats for both infants and toddlers.

Wow, must be so easy to travel with an only child! Good for you to have two adults able to lug the kitchen sink along. However, most aren't in your situation. When we visited my sister in Chicago, we had two 2 years olds, and a 4 year old (plus two older children under 10). We did take taxis to museums, Navy Pier, the aquarium, etc., without carseats - what the heck are we going to do with 3 carseats all day?!

OP, I'd hire a car service with a carseat for the trip from the airport, and just take a taxi to get to the pier. All of my kids have been in taxis as toddlers when necessary (cities) a handful of times. Since I grew up in the generation where no one even wore seatbelts, even kids, I felt comfortable taking the chance (and really had no other option).

An unrestrained child in a bus or train is just as vulnerable as in a taxi IMO. Another reason we decided not to travel with very young kids. No flaming please, it was our choice and way less hassle for a year or so.

Just got back last night after spending 6 nights in NYC. In the city the taxis never seemed to get above 20mph.

I'd be more concerned about walking across the street than taking a taxi in NYC. Vehicles can only turn with the light so they turn directly into the stream of walkers.:eek:

FWIW Times Square is least crowded before noon. Also many people dressed as Elmo, Spongebob etc. They expect a donation if you take their picture. There was also the Naked Cowboy, Naked Cowgirl and Naked Native American.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents since I've lived in Manhattan (near Times Square) for 12 years and have two kids. I personally do not know of anyone who lives in the city and carries car seats around with them on daily outings. Taxis travel slowly because there is always insane traffic, and parents typically belt themselves in and then hold the child on their lap (or if an infant, a baby carrier (i.e., Ergo, etc.)) until the child can use a proper seatbelt alone. Buses and subways are another way to travel, too, but can be challenging if you have lots of gear, like a stroller, and are facing multiple steps to get on/off.

I'm not judging anyone else here at all. Everyone has a right to do what they think is best for their own children. And of course, whenever we're outside the city, we always use car seats. But when we travel in a taxi within Manhattan, we always just put the kids on our laps and hold them tightly.

Best of luck, and enjoy NYC!

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents since I've lived in Manhattan (near Times Square) for 12 years and have two kids. I personally do not know of anyone who lives in the city and carries car seats around with them on daily outings. Taxis travel slowly because there is always insane traffic, and parents typically belt themselves in and then hold the child on their lap (or if an infant, a baby carrier (i.e., Ergo, etc.)) until the child can use a proper seatbelt alone. Buses and subways are another way to travel, too, but can be challenging if you have lots of gear, like a stroller, and are facing multiple steps to get on/off.

I'm not judging anyone else here at all. Everyone has a right to do what they think is best for their own children. And of course, whenever we're outside the city, we always use car seats. But when we travel in a taxi within Manhattan, we always just put the kids on our laps and hold them tightly.

Best of luck, and enjoy NYC!

I appreciate your comments, it is nice to hear from someone who lives in the area.

My only comment is that it is physiologically impossible to hold a child with your arms and keep them in the vehicle in a collision over 5 Km/hr. The main source of protection in a collision is the vehicle, which you need to stay inside (ie. ot get ejected) for it to offer protection. That's why we travel with restraints appropriate for our children. I can understand how most people think you can hold a child, but it truly is impossible.

This video is shocking. Anyone who thinks that they can hold on to a child in a car crash - no matter how slow - is fooling themselves, and risking their child's life. We all take risks every single day, and make judgements based on the percentage of risk, but when it comes to the safety of my child, there is no safe percentage. That is my opinion - you may have a different risk threshold.

Archived