Rhodes

MarLin527

Probably the two major things cruise passengers do is 1) walk off the ship into Rhodes Old Town or 2) arrange for some form of transportation to Lindos.

Old Town entrance gates are within a very short, easy walk from the cruise pier. You can amble around old town and explore the sites very nicely in a few hours.

Lindos is an "Acropolis" site that requires a drive down the coast from Old Town. You can use a ship excursion or arrange a rental car or probably hire a 3rd party tour provider to take you there. An excursion to Lindos still probably leaves you enough time to explore Old Town for a little while upon your return to the port area. To reach the top of the site, you'll need to be able to walk up a fairly steep paved/stone/gravel walkway and then some fairly steep steps.

I'm sure there are other options on the island as well, but these seem to be the big 2.

Visit the synagogue/museum in the old city.

Tells the story of the 2000 person Jewish community that thrived before WWII and then were rounded up by Hitler's soldiers and their collaborators and sent to concentration camps where almost all of them perished.

Lots of pictures of happy people enjoying life and accepted as part of the larger community and then seeing the same names on boards listing the names of those who died in the camps.

A sad story but the presence of the synagogue and the small community today is inspiring.

DSC01562.JPG

DSC01568.JPG

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g635613-d2101865-r133336315-Mamma_Maria_s-Rhodes_Town_Rhodes_Dodecanese.html#UR133336315This restaurant is located in the town square and you will note a number of parrots fronting it and the roof top restaurant next door which has the same owners. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g635613-d2101865-r133336315-Mamma_Maria_s-Rhodes_Town_Rhodes_Dodecanese.html#UR133336315http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g635613-d2101865-r133336315-Mamma_Maria_s-Rhodes_Town_Rhodes_Dodecanese.html#UR133336315http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g635613-d2101865-r133336315-Mamma_Maria_s-Rhodes_Town_Rhodes_Dodecanese.html#UR133336315

“Avoid this Place like the Plague/RipOff Artists”

x.gif

We stopped here for lunch while on a cruise stop. As previously described there are 2 restaurants owned by the same family. We went to the one without the roof top dining. We ordered one order of Tsaziki, one Greek salad to share, one order of grilled sardines and an order of grilled octopus with two 1/2 liter drafts of Heineken beer.

When our bill came we were charged for 2 Tsaziki's not one as received, 2 Greek Salads which were delivered in one bowl not one as ordered. In addition the first bill presented to us was for approx 90 euros. When I asked the waiter to go over the bill and identify the items with the prices our bill went down to 66 euros. The waiter "apologized" saying that they were busy and there had been a mistake. When we were first seated I asked if credit cards were accepted and was told they were.

When the revised bill of 66 euros was presented I gave them a credit card and the waiter said the credit card machine was not working. I insisted that we asked first and then the manager appeared and took the card.

After waiting 10 minutes for the cards return I summoned the manager. He motioned to an employee who arrived with the card and my receipt. When I looked at the receipt it was for 86 Euros NOT 66 EUROS. I protested and the manager told the waiter to get me a 20 euro bill and then I signed for the 86 euros.

After looking at the credit card receipt it was from KARIS FURS and not the restaurant.

BOTTOM LINE: Rhodes has some nice restaurants with friendly people THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM. AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS.

• Visited June 2012, during a port stop from the Celebrity Equinox.

Archived