Tours Available at the Pier?

ronandannette

We're in Barbados the fourth week of September on a very port-intensive itinerary. I'm hoping not to have to do any advance planning as I'm not really sure what we'll be in the mood for. Please give me an idea of what might be available spur-of-the-moment when we get off the ship.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are not big on the beach or shopping try walking into downtown where you will find lots and lots of taxis looking for work. We did it two years ago and found the right driver, he spoke perfect English, was very personable and knowledgeable and had a very nice mini-van. I forget the exact fee but it was reasonable for the 4-5 hours we spent seeing the island and learning the history. It is harder to do that at the pier because they just load as many as they can into a cab and go so make sure you get off the pier and into town. Coming back they will drop you right at the entrance to the port, as short walk to the ships

• 1 month later...
If you are not big on the beach or shopping try walking into downtown where you will find lots and lots of taxis looking for work. We did it two years ago and found the right driver, he spoke perfect English, was very personable and knowledgeable and had a very nice mini-van. I forget the exact fee but it was reasonable for the 4-5 hours we spent seeing the island and learning the history. It is harder to do that at the pier because they just load as many as they can into a cab and go so make sure you get off the pier and into town. Coming back they will drop you right at the entrance to the port, as short walk to the ships

Good information - is it difficult to find downtown? We're definitely not beach or shopping people and are also interested in things like off-road ATV's, jet skiing and/or maybe parasailing. We've also got free time in St. Lucia in case you have any input for that island. Much appreciated.

Good information - is it difficult to find downtown? We're definitely not beach or shopping people and are also interested in things like off-road ATV's, jet skiing and/or maybe parasailing. We've also got free time in St. Lucia in case you have any input for that island. Much appreciated.

Hope you get some good response!I think we are in the same boat! and possibly on the same ship Victory Sept 30. I am hoping to find a good horseback riding tour, but an ATV tour may take the place.

Hi! Close but not quite...same ship, different day ;). We're boarding on the 23rd and will get off in time to let you on. There is a poster on here that actually lives in Bridgetown (I think) and I'm hoping he/she will pop in and with some ideas. One thing I picked up from a different thread is that the place called The Boatyard apparently has jetskis and parasailing. We may try checking that out.

We're in Barbados the fourth week of September on a very port-intensive itinerary. I'm hoping not to have to do any advance planning as I'm not really sure what we'll be in the mood for. Please give me an idea of what might be available spur-of-the-moment when we get off the ship.

Thanks in advance.

Have you thought perhaps a trip to Harrisons Cave?

http://www.harrisonscave.com/

Have you thought perhaps a trip to Harrisons Cave?

http://www.harrisonscave.com/

Good link, thanks. Probably not going to choose this one though; we live in the Rocky Mountains and have some pretty interesting spelunking opportunities close by.

One point of interest brought up from looking at the website: Is it relatively easy (or advisable) to get around in Barbados by transit bus? It appears that the island is pretty small and would just jumping on a bus for an hour be a good way to get a look at the lay of the land? Any thoughts appreciated.

Bridgetown, the capital of barbados is walkable distance from the cruise terminal. IMHO Barbados is probably the most organised port of call in the Caribbean for excursions. As you exit the terminal building there is a taxi/bus rank where they organise evry type of tour the island has to offer.

You can either go on your own in a taxi or share with others. Although not the most beautiful of the Caribbean islands, it certainly has a good vibe and lovely local people.

I suggest you do a bit of research, decide what you want to see and it will be easily arranged for you. Much cheaper than a ship's excursion.

Bridgetown, the capital of barbados is walkable distance from the cruise terminal. IMHO Barbados is probably the most organised port of call in the Caribbean for excursions. As you exit the terminal building there is a taxi/bus rank where they organise evry type of tour the island has to offer.

We don't plan on rushing off the ship each day as we have a very intensive itinerary this trip. Do you know if there is still good availability in late morning or even after lunch? We didn't have the greatest luck with this in Nassau a couple of years ago after staying on board in the morning to do a "behind the scenes" ship tour. We did eventually get where we were headed, but certainly did not have the cream-of-the-crop to choose from as far as cab-driver/tour-guides went. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for answering. Anything particular you'd recommend? We are not beach lovers or big shoppers.

Hi read through a couple of the replies and would like to suggest a scenic tour of Barbados where you are picked up at the port by a friendly driver and taken on an island tour stopping at various places of interest, see how the locals live including the green monkeys and of course beach and picture spots. You can either take a planned route or if you have somewhere in mind or want to go or see somewhere in particular then your driver can take you.....and let me add the cost is really reasonable compared to what I read on these message boards that visitors are charged and I live in Barbados!!!!!!! I might I add this driver is very knowledgable I even gained some knowledge from him and I LIVE HERE......so if you are interested just send him an email or give him a call to make your arrangements and enjoy and see Barbados the way it is suppose to

EMAIL: tiatonagi@yahoo.com

TEL: (246) 233-3168

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Has anyone taken the Barbados Segway tour? We are thinking about doing this during our stop in March.

We did this tour recently. It was OK. We enjoyed the Segway tour in Puerto Rico more. This tour went to a couple private scenic overlooks and to some public scenic overlooks that have other tour buses there. Some of the tour is through pasture and some is on asphalt roads. We enjoyed the narrated ride to the excursion with our great driver Mark almost as much as the Segways themselves.

For anybody doing an independent tour, you usually walk all the way out of the terminal area, past the bridge yellow security gate, then meet your driver under the tree in the traffic loop.

Edited by WackyWayne

Hi read through a couple of the replies and would like to suggest a scenic tour of Barbados where you are picked up at the port by a friendly driver and taken on an island tour stopping at various places of interest, see how the locals live including the green monkeys and of course beach and picture spots. You can either take a planned route or if you have somewhere in mind or want to go or see somewhere in particular then your driver can take you.....and let me add the cost is really reasonable compared to what I read on these message boards that visitors are charged and I live in Barbados!!!!!!!

Hi Starbounca, we will be in Barbados on Dec 26th (Boxing Day). We wanted to see St Nicholas Abbey among other things but then I thought I should check in advance to see if they were open on that holiday. Sure enough, they will be closed. Will most places be closed on Dec 26th, or will they remain open if there is a cruise ship in port? Thanks in advance for any info.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. We go in 12 days and I've booked tours in 3 of our 5 ports. For Barbados I noted in a guide book that the Salt Flats are one of the things to see. Comments? Worth seeing Mount Gay Rum Factory?

Also, those who have responded about tours they found (mini-bus) from Downtown, can anyone remember prices? I saw no mention of them. :(

Thanks.

Steve

Hi read through a couple of the replies and would like to suggest a scenic tour of Barbados where you are picked up at the port by a friendly driver and taken on an island tour stopping at various places of interest, see how the locals live including the green monkeys and of course beach and picture spots. You can either take a planned route or if you have somewhere in mind or want to go or see somewhere in particular then your driver can take you.....and let me add the cost is really reasonable compared to what I read on these message boards that visitors are charged and I live in Barbados!!!!!!! I might I add this driver is very knowledgable I even gained some knowledge from him and I LIVE HERE......so if you are interested just send him an email or give him a call to make your arrangements and enjoy and see Barbados the way it is suppose to

EMAIL: tiatonagi@yahoo.com

TEL: (246) 233-3168

We are trying this on Jan 10th at 9 am. We are on Maasdam. Tyrone is guide 3-4 hours for $25. Need some more adventurers. Meet at Milly's Bar near Circle close to terminal.

Georgia and Bob

We are trying this on Jan 10th at 9 am. We are on Maasdam. Tyrone is guide 3-4 hours for $25. Need some more adventurers. Meet at Milly's Bar near Circle close to terminal.

Georgia and Bob

THanks G&B: Just contacted him. Did he quote you for hust 2 people? sounds very reasonable for that. Or will he add others in cab?

We are there on Saturday 1/19

Steve

THanks G&B: Just contacted him. Did he quote you for hust 2 people? sounds very reasonable for that. Or will he add others in cab?

We are there on Saturday 1/19

Steve

Hello SteveinPhilly & Dutchrev :)

Hope you both had/having a great trip . I will be in Barbados Feb. 17th.

I'd like to have a general overall sightsee of the island before shopping in Bridgetown.

Can you tell me how your taxi tour was? Did you go on the driver's route or have a personal route planned?

Do we need >2 passengers to get a 3-4hr tour for $25. Is that price per passenger or cab ?

Thanks,

Marilyn