Price drop after full payment. Can I upgrade and get onboard credit refund.

I have been watching prices for my 3 night August Monarch cruise. We are paid in full for an inside cabin. The price for an outside Guarantee is now $100 less.

Will RCI allow me to upgrade and then give me the difference back as an onboard credit? We have linked reservations with another couple, if they will do the upgrade will the attempt to keep the cabins close together or could we end up on completely different parts of the ship? Just want the cabins to close, we don't care where they are on the ship.

No credit or refund. If a higher category is available, you can upgrade and pay any extra costs (if there is any) but you won't get any money back in any form.

I say this from very recent experience for our upcoming cruise after speaking to many people at different levels within RCI.

It's sadly just one of those things if it happens within the finally payment timeframe.

Hopefully next time. :D

We have linked reservations with another couple, if they will do the upgrade will the attempt to keep the cabins close together or could we end up on completely different parts of the ship? Just want the cabins to close, we don't care where they are on the ship.

Once the cabins are assigned you can request to be moved to a different available cabin in that same category.

I was told just last week by a customer service representative at The Crown and Anchor desk that if you pay for your cruise in full, before their final payment date and there is a price drop you can get an OBC. Even if you call up the morning of that final payment date.

I even started a thread and received many confirmations from other cruisers that this is so. Some said that you might get a credit towards the credit card you used and others said that yes, they did get an OBC.

Patty, the person I spoke with, said that they go by Royal Caribbean's final payment date to determine the cut-off date of any OBC or credits given not by your final payment date if you choose to pay it off early.

Here is the link to the post that I had started - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1658783

I agree with this. On our last cruise, our TA ran the final payment about 3 days prior to the RCCL final date. Within that 3 day window we found a lower rate and our TA called RCCL who offered us that discount plus also a Senior discount in OBC. That worked out fine for us. Combined with the OBC we already had, we hardly paid out anything at the end of the cruise.

Most of us know that Royal Caribbean changed thier policy about OBC for price drops effective May 17th, 2010. The policy stated that if there is a price drop before final payment date you would be refunded the difference. If the drop occured after final payment you could upgrade if a higher cabin class was equal to or less than your original booked cabin. There was supposed to be no more OBC for price drops. That being said, it is RCI's rules which means if they want to bend them they can which is why you may have people tell you they got OBC. These situations are probably dealt with on a case by case basis. So it may be possible to get OBC maybe, but it is not a guarantee that you will.

Most of us know that Royal Caribbean changed thier policy about OBC for price drops effective May 17th, 2010. The policy stated that if there is a price drop before final payment date you would be refunded the difference. If the drop occured after final payment you could upgrade if a higher cabin class was equal to or less than your original booked cabin. There was supposed to be no more OBC for price drops. That being said, it is RCI's rules which means if they want to bend them they can which is why you may have people tell you they got OBC. These situations are probably dealt with on a case by case basis. So it may be possible to get OBC maybe, but it is not a guarantee that you will.

I think you get the choice of a refund or OBC if the price drops after you pd, but before the final due date.

I think you get the choice of a refund or OBC if the price drops after you pd, but before the final due date.

The policy stated fairly clearly that if you had paid in full before final payment date and there was a price drop you would be refunded the difference in the cruise fare paid. No OBC. If after final payment date then the upgrades are what can to taken for a price drop. That was what the policy originally was, but like I said it's RCI's rules so they can bend them if they think it's necessary.

Archived