Glory Embarkation Delay - NYC

kidz_rn

I received the message below from my TA saying not to get to the NYC Cruise Terminal before 1:30 pm for a 5 pm departure. On past (non-Carnival) cruises, we arrived at the pier around 11:30 and were onboard by 12 noon. Any ideas on what could be the cause of the delay?

Kidz RN

--------------------

Dear Cruise Guest,

In order to provide a smooth embarkation experience for everyone, Carnival has set the check in time for 1:30 pm to 4:00 pm. The ship will now sail at 5:00 pm. Don't worry, the remainder of the itinerary remains the same.

For your comfort and convenience, and since the seating is limited, Carnival asks that you please not arrive at the cruise terminal before 1:30 pm.

Thank you and Happy Sailing!

Expedia Cruise Support

Have not seen that before, in fact, we've gotten a call to show up earlier than noon!

No idea why this is; maybe check the day of departure whether the ship is there early in the a.m. on the wired NY webcam 3.

What is the sail date? Was the call from your TA or Carnival? Even though we use a TA, the call we got that one time was from Carnival directly.

Sail date is Aug. 20. Email (not call) was from TA (not Carnival). As far as I know, previous cruise docks at the same time as ours: 8 am.

Previous (non-Carnival) cruise lines told us we had to be at the pier no later than 90 minutes before departure, or they would not let you board. This was STRICTLY ENFORCED! I know of a family that arrived at Bayonne, NJ (Cape Liberty) at 3 pm for a 4 pm Royal Caribbean sailing and was denied boarding.

So if Carnival says don't arive before 1:30 but no later that 3:30 (90 min before 5 pm departure), then that's only a 2-HOUR WINDOW for processing 2800 passengers. Seems tight to me.

I would ask the TA where they got their info. I'd also check the roll call thread here to and see if others were told this. It's odd to me.

The ships in NY are usually at the dock much earlier than 8.

Have lots of fun and keep that waterslide in good shape for me!

Thank you all for your insightful replies. I think you're right -- an attempt at crowd control makes sense to me . . . they say don't arrive before 1:30 knowing that many will ignore and arrive earlier anyway. We will do the same!

Archived