British Air from PHX to LHR to ARN

C&Sun

We will be flying from PHX to LHR on Aug. 30. We arrive LHR at 1:40pm and since the next BA flight to ARN is not until 8pm, we elected to stay at the Hilton Airport and take the next BA available flight to ARN at 7:40am the next morning. My question: Will we have to collect our bags and go through customs before taking the shuttle over to the hotel or will BA just keep our bags and put them on the flight the following morning?

If they do keep the luggage, will we go through customs since our destination is Sweden, not England?

Thanks.

Most likely you will need to claim your bags, as they won't hold your bags that long. But the best source to ask is BA.

On the other hand, taking the bags thru customs is pretty simple. I would want to know our bags have arrived.

We will be flying from PHX to LHR on Aug. 30. We arrive LHR at 1:40pm and since the next BA flight to ARN is not until 8pm, we elected to stay at the Hilton Airport and take the next BA available flight to ARN at 7:40am the next morning. My question: Will we have to collect our bags and go through customs before taking the shuttle over to the hotel or will BA just keep our bags and put them on the flight the following morning?

If they do keep the luggage, will we go through customs since our destination is Sweden, not England?

Thanks.

I would have my bags checked only to London and collect them there. I don't believe in leaving bags with airport bag handlers unattended overnight.

The big hassle at Heathrow will be immigration (humans) and not customs (stuff.) By the time you get through passport control - which, fair warning, could take up to two hours unless they really get their act together in time for the Olympics - your bags will have gone round and round the carousel umpteen times and may have been offloaded and stacked on the floor. Get a bag cart (free), load your bags onto it, and walk through the "exit" door with the green "nothing to declare" sign (if there is one, don't remember, but green line anyway.) That's it.

The Hilton is at Terminal 4, and unlike other Heathrow hotels, has a free shuttle bus to Terminal 5, where you'll be arriving. Just walk across the drive to the bus station and look for direction signs to where it stops. IIRC it's to the left as you come out the main T5 exit to the parking garage/bus station.

You will go through passport control and customs again at Arlanda.

We will be flying from PHX to LHR on Aug. 30.

Thanks.

Hi: Have you done the Phoenix to LHR route before? If so how comfortable is the plane? Any other hints? It's an option we are looking at. Thanks

I've done that kind of thing a few times at LHR. Every time, I had to collect my bags and transfer them to the hotel. You can actually walk to the hotel from the terminal. They do have small shuttles, like large golf carts.

Thanks.

I would reconsider your plans,

By the time you get off the plane from PHX and clear customs it will be about 4PM,

if you go onto your final destination you will not have to do this that leaves

a few hours to kill before boarding. Do you have an AMEX Platinum card?

If so you can use the BA lounge have a shower etc. look at an upgrade to Club Class

that gives you access as well and may be cheaper than an overnight stay.

The plus is that your bags go right through and if there is an earlier flight they may

put you on that.

Or you may be able to book a day room, as it is the aftermath of a bank holiday weekend

and the end of the Olympics, I would imagine Heathrow will be recovering from chaos

also Aug 31st is a Friday, And I would not like to go through security again for an early morning flight.

You would need to be at the airport at 5AM.

I would bite the bullet and get to my final destination.

The bags will only be checked through if you are also checked through.

If you break your journey in London (not remaining in transit,) then you will need to pass through UK immigration and customs. Customs inspection is mandatory with or without baggage if you are entering the UK.

Just a quick word of advice regarding your overnight at the Hilton.

People on this thread are presuming that you're staying at the Hilton which is linked to Terminal 4 via a footbridge. However, there is a brand new Hilton in Colnbrook which is classed as an airport hotel and is only minutes away from Terminal 5 where you'll be arriving on BA. Just check which Hilton you're booked into..!!

Also, I agree with 'Swigso' that given the choice, I'd go straight through to ARN on the 20.00 hrs flight. As has been said, it will likely take you two hours to clear immigration at LHR so you'd only have a few hours to kill before flying on.

I would reconsider your plans,

By the time you get off the plane from PHX and clear customs it will be about 4PM,

if you go onto your final destination you will not have to do this that leaves

a few hours to kill before boarding. Do you have an AMEX Platinum card?

If so you can use the BA lounge have a shower etc. look at an upgrade to Club Class

that gives you access as well and may be cheaper than an overnight stay.

The plus is that your bags go right through and if there is an earlier flight they may

put you on that.

Or you may be able to book a day room, as it is the aftermath of a bank holiday weekend

and the end of the Olympics, I would imagine Heathrow will be recovering from chaos

also Aug 31st is a Friday, And I would not like to go through security again for an early morning flight.

You would need to be at the airport at 5AM.

I would bite the bullet and get to my final destination.

Thanks so much for your post. Yes we are Amex Platinum. We had already booked the flight and they wanted almost a $1000. to change to the flight leaving at 8:15pm that night. I went to BA site and found that the flight out that night would only cost $215 for the both of us if I purchased it. I called BA back and said that I would just not use the portion of the ticket for the following morning and that when I arrived at PHX I would just show them the new ticket to ARN from LHR and have them check the bags all the way through to ARN so that I would be considered a transient passenger. Was told that I could not do that. Would have to claim the bags and go through customs and immigration and then go to BA ticket counter, check my bags again and go back through security again.

Once I check in at the BA counter in PHX do you think that I could talk them into checking all the way to ARN using the separate ticket that I purchased for the evening flight?

Are your flights roundtrp or one way? If they are roundtrip, if you skip your original LHR-ARN segment and fly your separately booked flight, then your return home will be completely cancelled.

Thanks so much for your post. Yes we are Amex Platinum. We had already booked the flight and they wanted almost a $1000. to change to the flight leaving at 8:15pm that night. I went to BA site and found that the flight out that night would only cost $215 for the both of us if I purchased it. I called BA back and said that I would just not use the portion of the ticket for the following morning and that when I arrived at PHX I would just show them the new ticket to ARN from LHR and have them check the bags all the way through to ARN so that I would be considered a transient passenger. Was told that I could not do that. Would have to claim the bags and go through customs and immigration and then go to BA ticket counter, check my bags again and go back through security again.

Once I check in at the BA counter in PHX do you think that I could talk them into checking all the way to ARN using the separate ticket that I purchased for the evening flight?

What in the h*** are you speaking of??? So confusing!!!

If I could fly BA from PHX to LHR for $215 I would fly BA all the time for my business trips to Europe and the Middle East (which connect at LHR about 50% of the time).

I usually book the AA connecting flight through ORD, JFK or DFW. BUT about 70% of the time I can't make the connection because the PHX to ORD, JFK or DFW flight will mis connect. So AA puts me on the BA flight which is DEFINITELY my choice. But to book it outright from PHX to LHR nonstop is usually about $3-500 MORE than the AA flight.

So I sure don't understand $215. Then $1000 change fee? What are you speaking of???

And I sure wouldn't leave my luggage overnight at LHR even if I could. You may be missing your luggage the next day. It may not make it on the flight you need out of LHR BECAUSE it got stuck in the office or behind the scenes overnight and the baggage handlers don't have a clue where it is.

Just plan on flying PHX to LHR and PICKUP your luggage. Still trying to figure out about $215?????

What in the h*** are you speaking of??? So confusing!!!

If I could fly BA from PHX to LHR for $215 I would fly BA all the time for my business trips to Europe and the Middle East (which connect at LHR about 50% of the time).

I usually book the AA connecting flight through ORD, JFK or DFW. BUT about 70% of the time I can't make the connection because the PHX to ORD, JFK or DFW flight will mis connect. So AA puts me on the BA flight which is DEFINITELY my choice. But to book it outright from PHX to LHR nonstop is usually about $3-500 MORE than the AA flight.

So I sure don't understand $215. Then $1000 change fee? What are you speaking of???

And I sure wouldn't leave my luggage overnight at LHR even if I could. You may be missing your luggage the next day. It may not make it on the flight you need out of LHR BECAUSE it got stuck in the office or behind the scenes overnight and the baggage handlers don't have a clue where it is.

Just plan on flying PHX to LHR and PICKUP your luggage. Still trying to figure out about $215?????

If you read my post, you would see that I am talking about the flight from LHR to ARN for $215 for the both of us!! We are going on a transatlantic cruise and the original fare is a one way fare. The original ticket that I purchased is PHX, LHR, ARN. My husband thought it would be better to spend the night at the Hilton Airport since we arrive around 1pm London time and the next flight to ARN was not until 8:15pm. Since yesterday I have received advice from CC posters to bite the bullet and push on to Stockholm the same evening so I would not have to go through the LHR C and I hassle. Since I booked the ticket almost a month ago, the one way fare for the original ticket has increased dramatically plus the change fee bumps the one way fare for the two of us up almost $1,000!

Therefore the question as to whether BA in PHX would bend the rules if I purchased the LHR to ARN portion of the flight to fly out on the 8:15pm flight and ignore the LHR to ARN portion which did not go out of LHR until 7:40am the following morning.

Am I now as clear as mud?

Therefore the question as to whether BA in PHX would bend the rules if I purchased the LHR to ARN portion of the flight to fly out on the 8:15pm flight and ignore the LHR to ARN portion which did not go out of LHR until 7:40am the following morning.

Am I now as clear as mud?

You're inviting luggage disaster if they did bend the rules. Don't even try !!

The original ticket is for the 740am LHR-ARN flight; if they bent the rules and thru-checked your bags it would probably end up on that flight. There's little chance it would go on the 815pm flight since that is a totally separate ticket. And, as others said there's a good chance it will languish in "luggage jail" at LHR and not make either flight.

Make very sure they do *not* thru-check your bags at PHX all the way to ARN if you plan to buy a separate ticket for the 815pm flight.

There's no If's, But's or Maybe's here.. BA in PHX will NOT through check your baggage when using separate tickets as it would be a severe breach of security regulations.

The other thing to bear in mind here is that as stated by wrp96, if your original tickets are booked roundtrip and you become a no-show for your original LHR-ARN flight, then your return reservations will be automatically cancelled..!!

I would call BA again and ask for some help, I find it always helps to

play a bit dumb and do a little begging, explain that there are seats available for that leg at $215 and you would pay that if needed,

but have a reason that friends/familly are flying out the next day

and this will be the only way you will get to see them,be creative.

I am sure that they will help you,did you book direct or through Amex,

If Amex call them and ask them to go into bat for you.

Hope you get what you want.

PS if you only booked a short while ago they will sometimes let you

change for free again it sometimes depends on who you talk to, if they have the will

it is only a computer input and then anything can be done.

Good Luck,let us know how you get on.

Thanks for all your helpful comments. Since our "one way" tickets were purchased almost a month ago, they would not change. So I am checking the bags to LHR retrieving them and then rechecking to ARN for the 8:15pm BA flight. Purchased the one way ticket today for my husband and I for $215 total for the LHR to ARN portion.(Our son lives in Stockholm and we are visiting him for a week and then taking the train to Copenhagen.)

Since we are taking a cruise home to NYC from Copenhagen I do not have to worry about the last portion of the original ticket(LHR to ARN). Even with spending the extra $215 both our one way tickets were only $1850 total for the two of us. When I checked the one way price today on BA, the price was $2069. each for the one way ticket!!:eek:

You Have a great deal really, now when you get to the

check in show them your final destination ticket,

explain mix up etc, they may just put your bags

straight thro, will be a lot less hassle for you and for them

and even if they do get delayed you have a week to get them.

good luck,

have a great cruise and be good to know how it worked out.

What you have done is fine, and a good idea as it has saved you money. However you have two separate contracts of carriage. The baggage will not be interlined and it would be a breach of the security protocols if an attempt were made to do that.

If you are ticketed on one contract (ticket) through to Stockholm, then the baggage would be interlined in the same fashion. However as you are on two tickets, the baggage must be reclaimed and re-checked for the next flight.

What you have done is fine, and a good idea as it has saved you money. However you have two separate contracts of carriage. The baggage will not be interlined and it would be a breach of the security protocols if an attempt were made to do that.

If you are ticketed on one contract (ticket) through to Stockholm, then the baggage would be interlined in the same fashion. However as you are on two tickets, the baggage must be reclaimed and re-checked for the next flight.

Sounds very definitive, but a question: can you please cite the "security protocols" that would be violated?

My understanding (and I am only a lowly frequent flyer, not a pilot) is that most interline agreements permit the interlining of baggage on separate PNRs at the discretion of the airlines.

If, on one or more of the (several) occasions where an agent interlined bags for me on two tickets (when I asked nicely and gave full information on the flights) they were breaking some law or protocol, it would be good to know. Can you help?

Hi Gardyloo.

I will try. A simple google may not be enough. Baggage protocols were enhanced in the aftermath of Lockerbie and New York. In the UK these variations usually come under the auspices of the Department for Transport (DfT). The last time I wanted a specific citation from them (it involved the admittance of personnel into the flight deck,) that required a Freedom of information request.

As best as I recall, baggage interline on one or more PNR's on this carrier, was subject to the passenger continuing their journey through the same airport on the same calendar day and with an intervening period of no more than 6 hours.

Somebody with ticketing experience should be able to give specific guidance. In the meantime I will see what I can dig out by way of citation.

Hi Gardyloo.

I will try. A simple google may not be enough. Baggage protocols were enhanced in the aftermath of Lockerbie and New York. In the UK these variations usually come under the auspices of the Department for Transport (DfT). The last time I wanted a specific citation from them (it involved the admittance of personnel into the flight deck,) that required a Freedom of information request.

As best as I recall, baggage interline on one or more PNR's on this carrier, was subject to the passenger continuing their journey through the same airport on the same calendar day and with an intervening period of no more than 6 hours.

Somebody with ticketing experience should be able to give specific guidance. In the meantime I will see what I can dig out by way of citation.

I believe that I would qualify on all three points: Same carrier, same airport, same day with flights within 6 hours of each other.

I believe that I would qualify on all three points: Same carrier, same airport, same day with flights within 6 hours of each other.

I sure wouldn't count on thru checking your luggage for all the reasons previously posted.

In addition, BA has a VERY small presence in PHX. They are NOT overly helpful because they are VERY, VERY busy for the one flight per day. All part-time employees (one flight 6 days per week until they start the daily service in Dec. 2012). Checking in for the flight other than business or first class is very, very crowded.

You have a SEPARATE ticket for your continuing flight. In airline parlance, you could fly PHX to LHR, then simply disappear. Where does your luggage go??? Again, as Jetdriver787 posted, this very well could be a security violation. Your through checked luggage could contain contraband that wasn't picked up in PHX.

You may get lucky and they will through check your bags. I sure wouldn't count on it.

Archived