Paris to Lyon question

amd1234

We are doing a three day pre cruise trip to Paris May 2013. I have written to Uniworld to get the departure time for the ship but haven't received an answer. I assume the departure is sometime around 4 in the afternoon. I want to give ourselves plenty of travel time from Paris. Do the trains run on time? (Paris to Lyon):) also where and how far is the train station? We are staying at the Hotel Muguet 11 Rue Chevert. Can you also tell me what to see that is walking distance from this Hotel? Thanks..

We just got back from a Burgundy cruise and spent time in Switzerland prior to the cruise. The TGV (fast train) runs on time . I took us 5 hours from Geneva to Nice, to give you an idea of travel time.

As far as what is close to your hotel, get a map of Paris that shows where the major monuments are. If you are interested in the Eiffel Tower, go on line and make a reservation ASAP. We made ours in March. When we got there the line was 2 hours long if you did not have a reservation.

We will be happy to answer any questions

We Just got back Thursday and used the TGV from Lyons to Paris and it did run on time and took about 2 hours. We cannot advise station locations in Paris, 'cause I think there is more than one, but the Lyons stations is abouit a 10 Euro taxi ride to where the cruise ships dock, without tip.

We were on the AMAdagio for this, our first river cruise, and quite enjoyed it. A fabulous itinerary with lots to see and experience.

Kathy, Read your web site Wow! you are both well traveled. Good for you guys! Did you eat at the Eiffel Tower? TA recommendation for Altitude 58 for lunch. Do I need to buy a ticket for the Eiffle Tower to go to lunch? Should I just go to lunch? Also how did you enjoy the Burgandy cruise? Thanks for the info..

We Just got back Thursday and used the TGV from Lyons to Paris and it did run on time and took about 2 hours. We cannot advise station locations in Paris, 'cause I think there is more than one, but the Lyons stations is abouit a 10 Euro taxi ride to where the cruise ships dock, without tip.

We were on the AMAdagio for this, our first river cruise, and quite enjoyed it. A fabulous itinerary with lots to see and experience.

We just did the AMADAGIO in May and loved it. We left the hotel in Paris at 8am and departed on the TGV about 10am. Arrived in Lyon about Noon.

TGV departs from Gare de Lyon in SE part of Paris.

You get a second class ticket, but it seems nicer than normal second class.

It was a great trip.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=103733

477Papa, We were on an AMA cruise 2007 and we did land cruise package Danube River Cruise. This River Cruise Uniworld (Burgandy-Provence) we have to do the pre cruise package to Paris on our own. Uniworld's price was $1500 per person no way would I book that! Now I am doing all my research and its many details. Transfers, time schedules etc.. I am sure I will have it ironed out before next year.. Thanks for the response.. I assume the cruise ship will leave Lyon late afternoon. I have plenty of time to check. I wanted to make sure I was in Lyon on time.......

477Papa, We were on an AMA cruise 2007 and we did land cruise package Danube River Cruise. This River Cruise Uniworld (Burgandy-Provence) we have to do the pre cruise package to Paris on our own. Uniworld's price was $1500 per person no way would I book that! Now I am doing all my research and its many details. Transfers, time schedules etc.. I am sure I will have it ironed out before next year.. Thanks for the response.. I assume the cruise ship will leave Lyon late afternoon. I have plenty of time to check. I wanted to make sure I was in Lyon on time.......

Probably the best way to go is to meet the cruise group buses before they go down to Lyon on the train, that way you take advantage of having your baggage handled all the way to your cabin.

If you make your own arrangements to meet the cruise boat in Lyon, you could probably arrive in Lyon as early as Noon or as late as the afternoon. We had some activity scheduled on the afternoon by AMA. The cruise boat was not docked a large distance from the train station, but you would need to get a taxi.

Thanks, I sent an email to Uniworld and telling them I think it would have been a nice gesture to have the transfers arranged at Lyon for the passengers arriving from Paris. We shall see how they replied..

Kathy, Read your web site Wow! you are both well traveled. Good for you guys! Did you eat at the Eiffel Tower? TA recommendation for Altitude 58 for lunch. Do I need to buy a ticket for the Eiffel Tower to go to lunch? Should I just go to lunch? Also how did you enjoy the Burgundy cruise? Thanks for the info..

We are in the process of writing the trip reports. Kathy, who I have nicknamed CB (for Cecil B Demille) has to edit the photos we took first.

We loved the cruise, and spent our last night in Paris on top of the Eiffel Tower at dusk. We ordered our tickets on line 3 months ago. Otherwise,there is a 2 hour line to buy tickets just to walk up to the first level!

The restaurants in the tower are extremely expensive. I would highly suggest getting your tickets on line as soon as possible, and eating elsewhere.

Archived