Traveling w/ 20-month-old grandson on Explorer - Suggestions?

cbny

We will be taking our first family cruise with our 20-month-old grandson on Explorer this Sept and are very much looking forward to it! :)

At this point, I am interested in knowing more about the Royal Tots program and what others' experience with it has been. Are there activities available on all sea days? Where do they meet? How long do they last? And can any adult accompany the toddler or does it have to be one person consistently? In our case, I think there will probably be times when our DS and/or DIL will want to accompany their son, but I will also be very happy to take him myself, so it would be nice to have that option.

Thanks in advance for your help with this. If you have any other information about toddler-friendly facilities on board or if you have any other related suggestions, comments, etc., thanks for sharing them, too!!

Happy cruising!

Carrie

I'm not sure Explorer HAS the "Royal Tots" program yet. If they don't, there will be no organized activities for a child under 3. There will be a parent/kid time, where you can use the toys and space. Any adult can bring the child...it's not limited to one person only. They also have toys to "borrow"...sort of a toy exchange...

There is also "in-cabin" babysitting available. If you want to use that, book ASAP....they don't guarantee a sitter to be available if you don't book as soon as you get on the ship, or soon thereafter!

There will be lots of spaces with few folks....perfect for letting a toddler "toddle" about and amuse himeself!

I would book a balcony...that way, during naps and early nights, the parent/caregiver will have someplace to be.....other than a quiet, darkened room!

We were on the Explorer when our son was about two and we loved it! The Royal Tots program was great. Every night he got a schedule for the following day with activities for kids. On sea days, we took him to the morning and afternoon programs they had. They lasted about an hour and had a different theme each day. It was so much fun! The same person doesn't always need to be there. Yoyo was there during our cruise and we loved her! It was also great to meet other kids and parents who we saw throughout the cruise.

Our son also loved just walking around the ship, watching the ocean from the balcony...and kept asking us where the ship was since he couldn't see that we were actually on it!

I think you and your grandson will have a wonderful time!

Heather

Archived